Is the M9 the best bang for your buck entry into Leica digital?

Kupo43

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wanted to see what everyone thought.

I'm currently waiting on a Leica M6TTL to arrive in the mail. It will be my first Leica and my first rangefinder camera. Film is my preferred medium but in all practicality, I'll eventually need some form of a digital camera. I know there has been updates to the digital line but I feel like the M9 would be my best bet for entry. I've got a 5DMKIII and a 16-35 2.8II that I would be willing to put towards a body IF i enjoy shooting on a rangefinder. 

M9-P worth it over the M9? Bite the bullet and move up to the M series?

I use both the M9 and a Monochrom. I also had a M8. I think all 3 cameras are great. And would buy another in a heartbeat.

A word of caution, the M9/Monochrom sensors can begin to delaminate. That is, the IR covering over the sensor self-destructs. No big deal as Leica will replace the sensor free of charge with a new design sensor covering. But it takes time. My M9 was away for about 2 months. I didn't have the Monochrom at the time so I really felt the loss. Still I feel the M9 is the best digital camera I have ever used - certainly the most satisfying. But sooner or later you will be without your Leica for a while. If that bothers you, buy a new M262. Otherwise, the M9 is a good choice.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M9, M9P and M-E are essentially all the same camera with different window dressing.

Just last night I was making plans to sell my M9P and buying a medium format digital camera AND an MP.  I took the M9P out this morning to photograph it for sale, held it, and put it back in the bag.  It's staying in my bag.

Yes, the M9/M9P/M-E is the best digital camera out there for me.

• Like 1

Greetings.  Till a week, or so ago, I would have said unequivocal "yes" for the M9.  But prices for used M240 have gone down to a level that would require paying attention to them as a possible entry point.  In the US, a clean M9 out of a visit from NJ is around $3k. A good M240 sample is $1k more, and maybe less.  I also heard that this is the same in the UK; maybe other members in the forum here can confirm.  I guess that you will be happy with either.  Enjoy in good health.  

Which medium format digital camera were you thinking of? Pentax 646D (CCD) which I've used extensively, or possibly the 645z (CMOS) or some other?

Dave (D&A)

I was looking at the Pentax 645D, but I think I've settled on replacing my Hassy 501cm kit with a Mamiya 645 AFD kit... and maybe finding a digi back for it someday. 

A word of caution, the M9/Monochrom sensors can begin to delaminate. That is, the IR covering over the sensor self-destructs. [...]

Marketing control update! Due to the inherent uniqueness of degradation of the old Leica CCD sensors, (every sensor has a unique fingerprint) it is now called Lenny Kravitz rendering.

• Like 4

Hmmm. Having a tough time making up my mind. It seems that the 240 is worth the extra money, but some people still swear by the CCD sensor in the M9 although I've read many reviews stating that the color differences can be replicated in post. I guess it just depends on the price at this point.

You can't go wrong with the M9 in 2016. You could in the past, but then Leica started to fix M9 sensors. So, go for it. I did in the past. Then Leica did fix my sensor w/ the new one (firmware 1.204) and I see no need to buy any sort of camera in the near future. I also have an M6, like you. It's a perfect setup.

Don't know about entry level! 

I've just recently bought an M9P and at the moment couldn't be happier.

Reasons for purchase,

long time film M user, bought an M9 early on but my mindset was still Nikon so sold it.

My Nikons are ultra reliable but are too big and the files lack individuality.

Leica got their act together and stood behind their expensive product with sensor issues

The 240 has drifted too far from a basic camera and become a rangefinder version of my SLR's

The 2 Zeiss lens combo I have, 35 biogon C and 50 Planar produce great photographs and

I was totally sick of scanning film, post processing colour and dust etc.

I can use my M9 like I used film M and return to anonymity.

A nice M9 can be bought for €2000 and if you don't get hung up on the Leica lens thing you can pick up great Zeiss, voigtlander or konica lenses for it. 

I'm enjoying carrying a camera around again!

• Like 1

Hi! My simple answer to which camera gives the most "bang for your buck" would be the M8. In Great Britain, those are less than half the price (dealers with warranty) than the cheapest M9. I think it's more a case of "value for money" and that is a personal thing.

A while ago I decided to jump into Leica digital to recreate the experience I enjoyed with my M4-P and 35mm 'cron. I wanted to keep that lens and that meant full frame sensor. The cost of an M over an M9, to me, seemed to be due to features such as Liveview and Video and they held no interest to me. Moreover, whilst I accept some people can tell the difference caused by different sensor technology, I'm suspect I couldn't..and if I could, it wouldn't bother me too much. I didn't feel the desire for files bigger than an M9 produces either.

My choice, therefore, was which M9 to get. Here, the price of an M9-P over an M9 is only a few hundred pounds. In fact, if one is not too choosy about cosmetic condition and / or number of clicks then an M9-P can cost the same as an M9. M-E costs the most, In no doubt because it is a younger model. If I were you, I would prioritise your choices: and that can include whether you want a frame selector; what colour the body is; and if having a sapphire glass cover over the LCD is important.

Good luck in your hunt - I'm sure you will be very pleased with whatever you buy!

• Like 1

I just bought a second M9 for not a great deal more than an M8 due to its external condition - but its had a new sensor and service from Leica so works perfectly. Bargains are to be had if cosmetics don't worry you too much. As far as I am concerned the M9 is the best value for money available at present simply because its the lowest cost full frame Leica rangefinder.

you don't need a digital camera.  your M6 and the universe of film stocks are more than enough to keep you busy and happy.  You are only wasting your money on obsolete digital technology, which will dwell in your subconscious

• Like 2

you don't need a digital camera.  your M6 and the universe of film stocks are more than enough to keep you busy and happy.  You are only wasting your money on obsolete digital technology, which will dwell in your subconscious

There is an incredible amount of truth to this. And to your point, film is my preferred medium. I do feel like a digital camera is necessary though. I simply don't want to carry around a lot of film when I'm out shooting. It's also better if I can only bring one body with me, especially if hiking. I plan on using both extensively. I can't wait.

My M6 should be here tomorrow!

Leica's commitment to the M9 sensor issue, regardless of what it took to get there, is huge.

Pray you get one with a bad sensor which to me equates to a free cla from Leica at some point. Possibly down a couple of months but returned tight, right and warranted.

That's nice, especially with a pretty good ccd sensor.

$2000-$2500 max

Hurry!

• Like 1