M262: My preferred Leica

mountainpix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, a Leica rangefinder isn't a general purpose camera - that's what my Nikons are for, and I definitely want LiveView on those cameras. The reason Leica Ms interest me at all isn't so much for the excellent optics, and certainly not for the brand name, but for the particular way they handle and operate, and the way in which that influences the way I photograph (which is normally rather methodical). Knowing myself, I am certain that if I had access to LiveView or an EVF on a Leica, I would use it to endlessly tweak focus and refine conpositions, but then I might as well be using a Fuji X-series or Sony A7xxx. I like the Leica for the free and spontaneous approach it facilitates, focusing on what is going on in my head and "out there," rather than what is going on in the camera.

• Like 2

Some of us chose to use just one camera system... I chose my Leica M-P to simplify my life and get back in touch with real photography. My Leica M-P has allowed me to do just that and I haven't enjoyed a camera as much since my Nikon F2A back in the seventies...

I set up my camera with Classic metering, never use live view and video is disabled. If I ever need those functions, they are there. I plan to keep my M-P for some time, it does everything I need and, on those rare occasions when I need the EVF, I have one in my bag. 

The only thing I plan to buy at some point in the not too distant future is perhaps a 21 or 24mm lens. I would certainly prefer to use my EVF rather than an optical finder... and I'm not bothered by the resolution of the EVF, another point made quite often which I have never really understood... I would only use it for rough composition on the wide angle and perhaps occasionally focus on my 90 and it's not as if it has any bearing on the quality of the resultant photos!!!

i think so much nonsense is talked about on the simplicity or otherwise of the M series cameras. They are as 'simple' as you choose to use them... but never too simple... :p

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Leica cameras could push sometimes a guy into sort of a Leica frenzy taking him on a route that is quite far from photography. I felt the same when M 262 went out just eight months after I bought my M 240. I really felt I had to have it. But then, what the heck? I told myself. I had to spend a couple thousand euros to do the change. I looked myself in the mirror and told myself I was a silly man if I thought I could run after new models any time instead of going out and take pictures. I often see people discussing on identical pictures pretending one is better than the other because of a 50 Apo instead of a simple Cron, while I see no difference in the pictures but the huge amount of money between one lens and the other.

This is why I took my M 240 out of its bag and put it aside of my old M8 and thought they were such beautiful objects and that I like them both and can't part from them. When I first bought the M8 I quickly fell in the lenses drug tunnel myself and spent money in lenses I didn't use or use quite rarely. It took me a lot to get out of the tunnel, but I think I learned the lesson. So, I sold or gave my nephew all the lenses I did not use and I'm now an happy fellow.

This is why I decided that these will be my last cameras for a long time to come and that what I like is taking pictures.

Edited by epand56
  • Like 4