Unable to manually override ISO in M7.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a roll of Portra 400 that I would like to push to 1600. No matter what I do, I'm unable to override the camera from reading 400. I manually set the dial to 1600 or anything for that matter and the camera still reads out 400 when I turn it on. If I take out the roll, then it'll finally read the manual setting.

I don't want to sharpie out the DX coding on the canister to prevent the ink from rubbing off onto the contacts. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly?

Any help is much appreciated!

I read in the manual (after the fact) that it will flash the read DX value for the first 2 seconds and the. Supposedly meter the manual ISO. I was in a rush and had to put the camera down. Can anyone confirm that? Or is it supposed to show the manual ISO right when you turn the camera on?

David, Perhaps he is not certain how viewfinder reading behaves if he pushes iso.

Tape can be next step quite agree with you

I think that may be it.

Is it supposed to display the DX rating no matter what at first?

In the table on page 99 of my (less than a year old) M7 manual:-

• Film type loaded = DX
  • Film speed setting  = manual, not equal to DX value
  • Viewfinder display = DX value flashes for first two seconds; final fourteen seconds = metered exposure + lower point flashes.

So yes, as you have discovered it will show '400' initially then the metered exposure for ISO 1600, plus flash the lower point as a reminder.

Here is how a M7 behaves:

DX coded ISO 100 film canister, ISO set to DX

"100" will be displayed for a few seconds in the display turning the camera on

DX coded ISO 100 film canister, ISO set to 100

"100" will be displayed for a few seconds in the display turning the camera on

DX coded ISO 100 film canister, ISO set to anything BUT DX or 100

"100" will FLASH for a few seconds in the display turning the camera on and a small dot is displayed, signaling that ISO is set to a different value than the film's DX coding

An uncoded canister makes the M7 select ISO 100.

There is a Gotcha: if you have the optical DX reader and you use a canister with something that reflects the IR such as white or yellow, you get weird readings. Typically a canister of Rollei Retro 100 has a whit label and the M7 reads that as ISO 1000, which fits if you look at the specification for the DX codes.

Carl

Hello Gbrldz,

Welcome to the Forum.

What you want to do is not a big deal & it does NOT require a Sharpie.

What it does require is a small square of smooth, thin tape that is Metuchen White* in color.

You see, you only have to add 1 very small, precisely cut (very Leitz/Leica like) square of smooth tape as described above to change the ISO from 400/27 to 1600/33.

If you hold the film canister horizontally with the little nubbin to your left & you put the square piece of white tape over the 3rd box counting from the left which is the same as the 4th box counting from the right of the top row of boxes you have now changed the ISO from 400/27 to 1600/33.

You might also like to read "user-question" in Stevesurf's Post #9 above.

Best Regards,

Michael

* Metuchen white is that white, white, very white white** that was invented by a titanium chemist*** who was living in Metuchen when he & a colleague invented it. 

** Titanium Dioxide White.

*** PhD from Heidelberg.

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

The optical dx reader also sucks if you use white / light grey non-dx-coded Film cartridges (like Bergger BRF400+). The Reader accidently reads Iso 5000 (!!!, the dx code for iso 5000 is complete blank!) and it's not possible to overwrite it manually, the m7 will use iso5000 whatever you set on manual iso. Only way is to use black tape / sharpies...

Hello John,

Welcome to the Forum.

Holding the film cartridge sideways with the little nubbin to the left: ISO 5000 is the Dx code when all of the top row is white (aluminium).

Hello Pico,

After reading your insightful comment in Post #14 just above I went & looked at an actual roll of film: It appears what I had called Metuchen white (Please see Post #13 above) was in fact unpainted aluminum which was providing the electrical contact. I therefore have to revise my suggestion in Post #13 above to read: You only have to precisely remove (Very Leitz/Leica like) a square of paint leaving the bare aluminium to provide the electrical connection & to also provide a reflective surface for use with an optical reader.

Best Regards,

Michael