LUT for SL log footage?

erudolph

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've started testing SL footage using the Da Vinci Resolve application.  The best LUT I've found in there is the Sony SLog3SGamut3.CineToSLog2-709.  What are other people using?

This is cross-posted to getdpi.

Edited by erudolph
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've started testing SL footage using the Da Vinci Resolve application.  The best LUT I've found in there is the Sony SLog3SGamut3.CineToSLog2-709.  What are other people using?

I've been playing around with creating my own 3D LUTs using Davinci Resolve using a Spyder Checker for different lighting scenarios. Hope to be publishing a tutorial on this in the near future.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Waking an old topic in case there are new answers.

I'm new to video but would appreciate a LUT to convert SL L-Log footage into Rec.709 footage if someone has developed this...  

Or do others generally just pick a LUT from one of the many packs around. assuming SL log has roughly the same curve as other cameras?

Previously, I've been making my own LUTs in DaVinci Resolve, but on our last project, I used the ARRI ALEXA LUT that comes with Adobe Premiere and I really liked the results. It definitely clipped some of the highlight and shadow range, but the overall look is very nice and colors were very close to that of the SL without much work.

• Like 4

I used the ARRI ALEXA LUT that comes with Adobe Premiere

I must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding.  I took a couple of L-Log clips from the SL, went into the Color workspace in Premiere, and selected Input LUT: ALEXA_Default_LogCRec709.   Is that what you do?

When I used it on my clips, it completely burned out the highlights (I had to correct to -100 highlights and that still wasn't enough).  Is this what happens for you too?  I did get quite natural skin tones though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding.  I took a couple of L-Log clips from the SL, went into the Color workspace in Premiere, and selected Input LUT: ALEXA_Default_LogCRec709.   Is that what you do?

When I used it on my clips, it completely burned out the highlights (I had to correct to -100 highlights and that still wasn't enough).  Is this what happens for you too?  I did get quite natural skin tones though.

I apply the LUT in the Lumetri Color panel. The highlights do burn out a little more than what I want. It's not perfect, but definitely has a nice look. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much! I applied this Sony profile in Davinci Resolve Studio project color management page, and colors/contrast snapped right it.

There have been just a few anecdotes reported, but there seems to be a consensus that underexposing L-Log shots by a stop (or more?) then using the Arri LUT works pretty well.  I use FCP-X and just grade the shots myself.  It mostly works.  The Arri LUT is available, and I will look to see if there is a Sony S-Log equivalent.

scott

• Like 1

When I did some brief tests with exposure with L-log, I found that you had to underexpose about 2 stops using an incident light meter for the L-log to match Arri Log-C.  This did give more exposure range to the highlights but at the expense of more noise.  This is similar to S-log, which Sony recommends exposing middle grey for ~32% rather than ~42% for Rec709.  I did try exposing L-log using ETTR which will work with available Arri Log-C LUTS if you drop the exposure about 2 stops before applying the LUT.  However while ETTR does result in less noise, when recording internally with 8bit I think it puts the midtones too far up the log curve and compresses them too much, so that when you correct the exposure you often get banding and chroma smearing depending on the subject.  It may be with 10bit 4:2:2 external recording you can get away with ETTR or pushing the exposure and then correcting without the same artefacts.

• 4 years later...
On 1/29/2016 at 1:39 PM, erudolph said:

I like the rendering of that LUT with SL2 LOG footage too.

please correct if wrong, I believe that:

>if you record log in camera, the SL saves just 8 bit baked footage, so not good for editing. avoid.

>if you wish to use log then you need an external monitor. That is where the SL sends the 10 bit footage

>if your external monitor allows (I think most do) you can apply a LUT on the incoming HDMI signal, which will be seen with same look achievable in post. This allows to check exposure visually, without waveforms, etc. You could use zebra instead.

>once done, you would take the 10 bit log files recorded from the external monitor and apply the selected LUT into your editor, in post.

and done!  

the summary: same results as what was seen on the external monitor. so get the LUT that you like, check it out during the event and use to check exposure and clipped highlights/ shadows in real time, during the facts. once you go to post you know how it will look like.

this is not a 'scientific' approach, as you do not need to use scopes, but it is very practical and simple to do.

G.

if you have SL2s you can do all the above in camera, as the files are 10bits and you can see the LUT in the EVF. Since I have upgraded I have used less and less my external monitor. It is useful for focus checking, and to see a bigger picture, but for colour/etc there is no longer need for me.

G>

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 11:22 PM, geotrupede said:

if you have SL2s you can do all the above in camera, as the files are 10bits and you can see the LUT in the EVF. Since I have upgraded I have used less and less my external monitor. It is useful for focus checking, and to see a bigger picture, but for colour/etc there is no longer need for me.

G>

Hi Geotrupede,
How do you see the LUT in the EVF? Do you import it via SD-card?
Out of interest, which LUT are you using? 
Thank you!
Flore

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply, yes you can use by copying into the memory card but the file format has to be a specific one , .cub. 

see instruction here: https://www.reddotforum.com/Firmware_files/EN_SL2-S+FW2.0+Release+Notes.pdf  (search for CUBE).

and yes I played with some custom LUTs done by me. You can use Affinity photo to make these. And I have also tried to calibrate with xrite, etc. But in the end I have preferred the Leica ones which are really nice and rich (if not mistaken I think I am using classic).

Nevertheless an interesting feature to have or to play with.

G>