Best quality/price for first time Leica owner?

Kupo43

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

Looking to getting into the Leica family and I'm still new to the lens system. Leica orders the quality of their lenses by:

Summarit
Summicron
Summicron M
Summilux
Noctilux

Is that correct? I was wondering which lens is the best "bang for your buck" lens in the line up (if there is such a thing).

From what I've researched, the Summicron seems to be the sweet spot between cost and performance. I am still torn on whether I should go 50 or 35, but I do know that I want a lens that will produce sharp results from wide open all the way to mid aperture. Also, is there a huge difference in the Summicrom and Summicrom M series? Is that even a real thing?

Am I making any sense? I've also heard that the new Zeiss glass is nice as well. I know this has already been discussed in great detail between you guys, but I'm just starting and any  help would be much appreciated. I'm coming from Canon so wish me luck!

Edited by Kupo43

Thank you, I will continue to do my own research using the search function. If anyone has any experiences they would like to share about buying their first lenses for their Leica that might be helpful, it would be wonderful if you would share. Thanks!

FWIW ALL Leica's lenses are very good. There is no real 'quality' difference in their optics to any really significant extent, its more about specification and faster lenses have different uses to slower lenses and are more expensive.

• Like 1

As above, there is no order of rank in terms of quality. The names refer to the fastest aperture (generally).

Whilst Leica lenses are mostly excellent they don't defy the laws of physics and overall performance of any lens will improve when stopped down a few f stops.

I think you should consider a 35 or 50 Summarit or Summicron for your first lens.

• Like 2

You didn't specify what Leica camera you are contemplating/or have, and the available lenses for a particular type could vary (LTM body, M body) as well as best choice (digital/film). That info would be helpful to address your frequently asked question.

• Like 1

Summarit

Summicron

Summicron M

Summilux

Noctilux

@Kupo43,

First of all, welcome aboard - we're glad to have you.  Of the Leica M lenses, this is the order from top to bottom regarding price with the Summarit line being the most affordable.  You have Summicron and Summicron M listed, which are the same.  There is a difference between Summicron lenses if you have a non-ASPH and an ASPH version of the same focal length with the ASPH version having better image quality and higher price.

As far as image quality, all of Leica's currently made M lenses are on an equal playing field.  I would say the same for workmanship, durability and dependability too, although I have not used any of the Summarit lenses yet. 

If I were buying new lenses and price were an issue, I would get the Summarit lenses in 50mm and 35mm and add the 90mm later.  I have found that about 90% of the time I am using either a 50mm or a 35mm lens when I am shooting.  These two focal lengths will cover a lot of subjects and situations.

Given the choice between a 28mm and a 35mm, I favor the 28 (which I do not currently have).  Do not overlook the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit M, as it is an outstanding lens at a very affordable price for a new Leica M lens.  This little lens will be my next purchase, as it offers outstanding image quality, reasonable maximum aperture and favorable price.

Also - do not rule out the possibility of buying a used lens.  As an example, a nice used 50mm f/2 Summicron can be purchased for about 50-60% of the price of a new 50 Summicron.  One of the best buys on the used market is the older 50mm f/2.8 Elmar M, which can be bought in very good condition for somewhere around $500-600.  If you decide to go with used lenses, spend some time educating yourself about what to look for and what to avoid when buying used.  You will also want to learn a little about the different versions of a given lens.  An example is the Noctilux f/1.0, which was made in four different versions over its life.  The newer versions have been fine tuned and improved a bit compared to their predecessors which is why there are different versions. 

The Summilux lenses are truly outstanding lenses, if you need the speed of an f/1.4 maximum aperture.  The down side is the increased cost and (as some say) the increased weight.  If you have a kit with 4-5 Summiluxes, weight becomes an issue; for a kit consisting of a couple of Summiluxes, weight is not so much of an issue.  Most of the time in real world use, f/1.4 is not a necessity; most of the time I can even function without f/2. I have a 21mm f/3.4 and do not long for a faster 21.  Most of the time f/3.4, f/2.8 or the f/2.4 of the Summarits is enough speed, particullarly with the ISO range that is available with the digital M cameras.  Some people swear by the f/4 28-35-50 f/4 Tri-Elmar, but I have found that f/4 is on the sluggish side for indoor shooting; others may disagree, depending on how and where they shoot.  My outlook is that for all-around use, I'm content with a lens that can give me f/3.4 or f/2.8; of course faster glass lets you handhold at lower ISO and gives you a more shallow depth of focus.  Lens selection must be made based on the kind of subjects you shoot and the lighting in the environment where you are shooting.  Sometimes you do need f/1.4 or even faster; it all depends on circumstances.

If I were new to the M system, I would think hard about getting a 50 f/2 Summicron and a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit.  Even if you buy them new, both are affordable by Leica standards and these are two truly outstanding lenses.  I can't see how a person could go wrong with these two as a starter kit and the foundation of their M system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 4

I started with a 35 Summicron ASPH. It is a fantastic lens. Never regretted the choice. I do not have a 50mm summicron so I cannot compare, I do have a 75 summicron, which is great, but I am happy that I started with a wider lens. I read that  IQ wise the current 50mmAPO is stellar. But 35mm is the best starter lens if you are switching from a DLSR zoom system to a fixed focal system. It also the best lens to practice manual focus.  The IQ is superb, some people talk about back focus, and that it is not so good for landscapes (Putts). But I never experienced these problems. I would wait for the new version of 35 to come out and see how it compares to the current one. It should have at least some minor improvements.

If you are new to manual focus and fixed focal lengths 35mm is the way to start. But the 50 APO is supposedly excellent.

• Like 1

Welcome.  It seems that you may not recognize that the terms typically refer to lens speed, as follows....  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464123

Of course lens speed can affect different aspects of your photography, and may or may not be relevant.  That's up to you.  Faster lenses may cost more, but that doesn't mean that they will improve your photography, or even be necessary.  

Most all Leica lenses are high quality.  I suggest you visit a dealer and ideally shoot with some or, if a dealer isn't nearby, consider renting... http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica/lenses  

Rangefinder photography isn't for everyone....best to experiment and perhaps buy used first (from a reputable dealer with warranty and return policy) to see how you get along.

Jeff

• Like 1

First M lens - Elmar-M 50mm f2.8 and/or Summicron 35mm ASPH , alternatively any of the recent/new Summarits 35/50mm f2.5 or 2.4.

At top of Leica forum web page there is a tab to Leica-Wiki, wonderful resource, anyone wanting to learn about the system should start there.

I can also recommend YouTube, go there and search for Ikangas, brilliant.

• Like 1

I've used Summicon 35 and 50 lenses for about 50 years. At different times I borrowed Summilux lenses, and never found an advantage for my shooting, and they were larger and heavier (at least a bit), and just didn't feel right.

Lately, with Leica digital, I find I prefer the Summarit 35 & 50 f2.5 lenses, mainly for their size and handling.

For faster Leica lenses you pay a lot for the extra speed, not quality. I've never needed the speed, and I do a lot of low-light work.

• Like 2

The names don't denote quality.  They denote maximum aperture.  There's a lot more to the quality of a lens than the size of the aperture (or the price tag.)  Leica would have you think otherwise, of course.  Because they want to upsell you.

Edited by Joshua Lowe
  • Like 2

You didn't specify what Leica camera you are contemplating/or have, and the available lenses for a particular type could vary (LTM body, M body) as well as best choice (digital/film). That info would be helpful to address your frequently asked question.

First off, thank you guys for the overwhelming response! I am Camera Operator by trade so I am well versed in all of the terms and explanations of the lenses. My confusion is the seemingly endless versions of primes the Leica M system offers and how they differ from each other.

I'm specifically looking for a used M6/M6TTL/MP as I love shooting on film. I started shooting on a Canon AE-1 about seven years ago and ever since then I have not been able to recreate that feeling of loading, setting, firing, and advancing. I bought a brand new kit of Canon L glass and a 5DMKIII in late November for an upgrade and I've decided that digital just isn't for me. After that long road, I finally decided to look into Leica's as I was intrigued by their all mechanical design and I was blown away by the community and the quality of the cameras themselves. I CANNOT WAIT TO SHOOT MY FIRST ROLL OF TRI-X.

I am not against used lenses at all for those that asked. After reading the suggestions so far and searching past threads, I think I'm going to try and find a nice 50/2 Summicron-M. Right now I'm in talks with another photographer about his M6TTL. We'll see where it goes from there!

After reading the suggestions so far and searching past threads, I think I'm going to try and find a nice 50/2 Summicron-M. Right now I'm in talks with another photographer about his M6TTL. We'll see where it goes from there!

An M6 and a 50/2 Summicron-M is a combination that it would be hard to go wrong with. Enjoy if you go there.

Hey guys,

Looking to getting into the Leica family and I'm still new to the lens system. Leica orders the quality of their lenses by:

Summarit

Summicron

Summicron M

Summilux

Noctilux

Is that correct? I was wondering which lens is the best "bang for your buck" lens in the line up (if there is such a thing).

From what I've researched, the Summicron seems to be the sweet spot between cost and performance. I am still torn on whether I should go 50 or 35, but I do know that I want a lens that will produce sharp results from wide open all the way to mid aperture. Also, is there a huge difference in the Summicrom and Summicrom M series? Is that even a real thing?

Am I making any sense? I've also heard that the new Zeiss glass is nice as well. I know this has already been discussed in great detail between you guys, but I'm just starting and any  help would be much appreciated. I'm coming from Canon so wish me luck!

First thing to note, Leica do not do low cost by reducing quality. The Summarit is an excellent lens that is on par with many of it's faster cousins, Leica charges by the aperture rather than by performance. IMHO the 35mm Summarit is a better performer than it's 35mm Summicron cousin, a better look and more intense contrast.

Traditionally the Summicron has been the ultimate for performance, and the Noctilux/Summilux are for speed.

This is still true today for 50mm where the 50mm Summicron APO out performs everything, the Noctilux offers the widest aperture but weakest (though still great) performance. The Summilux is a good medium.

For 35mm it is different, the Summilux is both the fastest and the best performer.

Also in terms of Best quality/price you might also want to look at Zeiss. The Distagon 35mm 1.4 is an exceptional lens on par with the Leica Summilux.