Accelerated brassing

bencoyote

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For anyone looking for that "old pro" look or to garner respect granted people in the Leica community who pull out a brassed camera, one that has the authentic look of years heavy use (not one of those pre-brassed faux Black Chrome" special editions). i seem to have inadvertently stumbled across a method of accelerated brassing which surprisingly rapidly begins to give your camera an authentic brassed look.

The technique is actually quite simple. You run to a place where you are going to shoot while carrying the camera in a conventional backpack. It seems that friction of nylon while being gently jostled thousands of times while running to your shooting location gently removes the surface paint in all the locations frequently seen on the cameras of old pro's who have taken their Leicas to dozens of countries and shot for a multitude of magazines for years. 

You too can project the image of being a old grizzled pro without having to go through the effort of actually having to travel to far away destinations and shoot in dangerous situations or go through the bother of satisfying clients or even having to edit through thousands upon thousands of pictures. You can just pull out your elegantly brassed Leica with aplomb take a few shots and everyone will know that you have captured the magic in the moment and that there is some greatness in those few frames you have captured.

;-) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

What´s the hurry?  After 6 years, my M9 shows just a little brassing; OK with me.  My black chrome MM has none; OK too.  I´ve done nothing either to accelerate brassing or to protect the cameras against it (beyond reasonable care and respect for a fine instrument).

And, while I myself am now both old and grizzled, I´m not a pro.  If I were to emulate one, I´d rather do it through better pictures than with the look of my gear... :)

(And, of course I get the tongue-in-cheek-ness of your post!)

Edited by elgenper
  • Like 1

Brassing looks quite good on the old M bodies...

But the funny thing about the Leica M-P Correspondent is...If an M240 body shows that much of brassing merely several years after its initial release...one would perhaps raise serious doubts about the coating technique applied to it...XD

Anyway, this reminds me so much of my old days dealing with airsoft firearm models and all the techniques for "ageing" them for the much coveted battered looks....XD

My M9 shows a bit of brassing along the edges, too. I"m in no hurry to accelerate the process tho :)

Edited by Rus

Jogging does that. Look at any jogger, do they look young and healthy while running? No they do not!!!

Get a taxi, its healthier and much easier. Plus if you had to run a long distance, you may wonder why nobody wants to stand beside you... 

:D :D :D

• Like 1

My first reaction to the thread title was "oh no..." Yet I was still compelled to click.

Then I read the post and got a good laugh from the tongue-in-cheek delivery.

After a little over a year of reasonably heavy use my 240 has a couple wear points and scuffs. In some cases though the paint has chipped off rather than worn off, and I noticed some kind of bubble (kind of like the M6 zinc bubbles) in the paint as well. But none of these things make the camera work poorly, and it's just adding character through my journeys with it.

• Like 1

For those anxiously awaiting visual evidence of my soon to be patented accelerated brassing technique, here it is https://goo.gl/photos/TgxHu72NhbuXuKSM6 realize that my M240 is less than a year old, hasn't been out of the country yet, many days (like me) it never leaves the house, has never done a pro job and it probably only has in the vicinity of 15-20,000 shutter activations. Yet it is already developing the look of respectable character indicative of years of heavy use. The thing that is hard to show is that most of this happened over the course of just two outings.

As I put in more miles and grind off even more paint, I'll keep this thread updated. Once it gets to a truly respectable level of braising I'll try the horse urine thing. However, I feel like I will need to hire a videographer to document the entire process from the locating a horse, to the aqusition of the precious fluid, through the chemical treatment of the camera case. If that works out maybe I'll start a new Leica 3rd party special edition camera line for truly discerning investors. I know somebody who works at the SF Zoo maybe I can even make some ultra-special editions using the byproducts of exotic animals. It could be like the civit coffee of the camera world.

• Like 3