Just one lens... which though?

philmcm

Sadly funds are a bit of an object, but it's good to know that there are things out there to dream of. I'm going to try and find a newer but not too new or too old 90 I think. Just out of interest, how can one tell? Serial number range?

Consider buying "Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition" which has serial numbers and dates of manufacture for nearly all Leica lenses and cameras up to 2009 … and also performance data for all lenses listed/described. 

dunk

Okay, a curve-ball that you might like to consider.  Since you've said you're largely interested in architecture then the 19/2.8 Elmarit-R v2 will offer plenty of latitude and superb results.  Add your 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R and you have an excellent, light, two-lens set that will offer you ultra-wideangle for architecture (with a spirit level to tame converging verticals), standard focal length, and macro for any details.  Adding a 2x convertor (preferably APO-) will also offer you telephoto at 120 mm.

Pete.

• Like 5

Sadly funds are a bit of an object, but it's good to know that there are things out there to dream of. I'm going to try and find a newer but not too new or too old 90 I think. Just out of interest, how can one tell? Serial number range?

Hi,

These links are from the Wiki...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_I

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_II

Though my suggestion would be to get a 28 PC Super Angulon, and as a cheaper alternative, a 35mm PA-Curtagon.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long time lurker, first time poster here so please go easy!

I'm in the fortunate position of owning an R6.2 and an R9, both of which I love for various different reasons, most of which have already been expressed by people far more eloquent than I on these very pages. I tend to use one for colour and one for black and white film. My main interest is in photographing buildings and architecture, from details in city streets to ramshackle barns in the middle of nowhere.

The combined weight is obviously not insignificant and I'd quite like to take two cameras and one lens on my next trip, but I can't decide which lens; or if I perhaps am missing out on that one great general purpose bit of R glass that I'd never thought of buying (or couldn't afford, which is more likely to be the case).

So my question is this really: which ONE lens would you recommend given the cameras I have and the kind of thing I enjoy taking photographs of? I need something which will really stand out, no matter what challenge I throw at it.

I should perhaps add that my own personal favourite at the moment is my well-worn Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8

Is there something even better out there though?

Good question, which I am too often faced with myself :)

When this happens, I usually take only the Summilux-R 50/1.4 (current design). Can't fault that lens. Perfect angle suitable for most subjects, very fast, bright R9 viewfinder, light and small enough, built-in hood.

Pascal

Thanks, Pascal - that's very sound advice and I am definitely likely to follow it on my next field trip.

I'm intrigued by the 35mm that several people have mentioned though. Haven't yet found one from a trusted seller that's affordable but I'm keeping an eye open!

Edited by philmcm

• 1 month later...

I have an R8 with the Angenieux 35-70 and an R9 with the 70-180.

The 70-180 is very pricey but I often check Ebay just to see how much they now sell for and on occasion one will sell for less than 4,000 dollars.

I picked mine up for three grand when the average price was four grand, constant checking some times pays off.

Although I have other cameras and lenses to have a continues range from 24-300 all low f numbers, if I were to keep only one it would the 70-180.

I can recommend the 35mm Summicron f/2.0.

I have been using the 35mm Summicron as the only lens on many of my Holidays trips.

That's a fine recommendation and I really appreciate it; however I have just bought a rather nice 2nd generation 35mm Elmarit-R f/2.8 (the one with the rectangular detachable hood, part 12509, which bayonets onto the little silver pins) which I am unreliably informed has excellent close-up performance, even surpassing the 35mm Summicron-R.

I'm off on my travels again tomorrow as it happens and am really looking forward to using this and seeing what results I get. Rest assured I'll let you know. Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have one body with a Summicron-R 1:2 /50 and the other with a 21mm / 1:3.4 Super-Elmar-M ASPH. As you see from the answers, it is a very personal thing and depends on emotions just as much as anything else.

Edited by Guest

Especially for a holiday trip where weight might be an issue and the the fact that you perhaps don't want to bring a €2000,- lens, we should not dismiss the rather unloved Leica Vario-Elmar-R 3.5-4.5/28-70. You know, "that Sigma-lens". ;)

Yes, it is not as sharp as primes. Yes, the 28-90 is a much better zoom. And yes, distortion at 28mm is pretty strong.

But the range of 28-70 comes in handy and at 3.5-4.5 it's not really fast, but mostly fast enough.

It's not too big and not too heavy and can be found for pretty little money.

The alternatives:  

- 2.8/28 & 4/35-70 or 3.5/35-70 (which are not that much better)

- 2.8/28 & 2.8/35 & 2.0/50 & a 2xTC (three lenses again)

- 28-90 (great, but really expensive and pretty big)

- 2.8/35-70 (excellent, but very, very expensive, huge and hard to find)

I like the idea that farnz has promoted: 2.8/19 & 2.8/60 Macro, although a set of 2.8/28 & 2.8/60 might also be sufficient.

BTW, if it doesn't have to be a Leica lens, a Tamron Adaptall-2 set can also be a lot of fun:

3.5/17 & 2.5/24 & 2.5/28 & 2.8-3.8/35-80 & 2.5/135

All you might ever need, more than just decent quality and nice price tags. ;)

Edited by LucisPictor

The 28-70 is a Sigma design, and I think the old 70-200 was a Minolta.

Stephen, the OP has an R6.2 and an R7, so the Super-Elmar-M ASPH 21mm/f3.4 is out.

Gary, the OP mentioned that he was into architectural pgotography;  The 28-70 is almost a fish-eye at 28mm!

Guy