Leica m9 - me screen replacement

ylianos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After not a serious fall, my camera was inside the camera bag and it fell down to the ground, from a distance of approximately 10 cm, my lcd screen is broken. Not the glass outside but the crystals of the screen inside . I can only see a small part of the screen still operating, the rest is black, thus I cannot change settings etc. I asked for the cost of repair if I send it to Leica, and they answered me back that is going to be around 750 euros (!). That is a ridiculous amount of money for such a mediocre screen... Also the repair time unknown... They didn't answer how long it is going to take them to repair it. Now I am quite upset and frustrated with Leica support and service... Do you know if there is any alternative?

Thank you

Edited by ylianos

Sounds very unlucky to suffer such damage for a small drop in a bag!

The repair cost will likely include a full service and check up and a warranty - it's steep but kind of what you would expect for Leica I think. Are you covered by any insurance policy? Worth checking any that you have.

Edited by earleygallery

It's regrettable, but I don't think you are going to find a cheaper solution than the one offered to you by Leica.  The camera - once fixed - will be valued far in excess of 750 euros, so it doesn't make sense to scrap it, and 750 euros won't go far if you decide to buy a later version with an improved screen such as the M240.  I don't agree that Leica have let you down.  Your M9 will be a great camera when repaired and the sensor is guaranteed to be replaced if it shows the signs of cover deterioration.   I have the M9-P and I'm very pleased with it.  I prefer the M9 files compared  to my new Q, but the Q does offer me some benefits so I keep both.  

Good luck.  

• Like 1

Sounds very unlucky to suffer such damage for a small drop in a bag!

The repair cost will likely include a full service and check up and a warranty - it's steep but kind of what you would expect for Leica I think. Are you covered by any insurance policy? Worth checking any that you have.

no I dont have any insurance. What do you mean by warranty? Only for the screen or for the whole camera? Thanks

It's regrettable, but I don't think you are going to find a cheaper solution than the one offered to you by Leica.  The camera - once fixed - will be valued far in excess of 750 euros, so it doesn't make sense to scrap it, and 750 euros won't go far if you decide to buy a later version with an improved screen such as the M240.  I don't agree that Leica have let you down.  Your M9 will be a great camera when repaired and the sensor is guaranteed to be replaced if it shows the signs of cover deterioration.   I have the M9-P and I'm very pleased with it.  I prefer the M9 files compared  to my new Q, but the Q does offer me some benefits so I keep both.  

Good luck.  

thanks for your reply. I am an active photographer and I dont have my camera just to admire it, I use it and I dont have a second body. So you understand that if they dont answer me how long it is going to take, I am quite frustrated

• Like 1

The specific warranty that Leica would give you would probably be an assurance that the repairs will be good for a further 6 or 12 months.  You would have to read the terms and conditions associated with the proposed work.  However, Leica would return your camera in the best possible overall condition and that in itself would add to the value you are getting for 750 euros.   They may even discover that the sensor is suffering from the design fault which was revealed in 2015, and a replacement has to be fitted.  Thay would be done free of charge.

Edited by lucerne

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for your reply. I am an active photographer and I dont have my camera just to admire it, I use it and I dont have a second body. So you understand that if they dont answer me how long it is going to take, I am quite frustrated

Well, let Leica do their thing on your M9 & in the meanwhile buy a cheap P&S. You will probably be amazed at how well the little P&S perform. Once your M9 returns you will have a great Leica and a nice little back up.. L