Goldian

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alan mcfall

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just a photo of some all chrome 90mm Elmars, with some of the containers used to hold them.  Aluminum (topics), Brown Bakelite, Black Bakalite, and clear plastic.
FPangrazi

They were produced nine tropical aluminum containers for the following focal lengths : Hektor 28 - Elmar 35 - Summar 50 - Xenon 50 - Elmar 50 - Hektor 73 - Elmar 90 - 90 Thambar - Hektor 135. All toge

alan mcfall

I believe that all 5 Bakelite cases are shown in photo 1. Photo 2 shows the bottom with the lens sizes called out.  Photo 3 shows the clear (transparent) lens cases, t

Posted Images

They were produced nine tropical aluminum containers for the following focal lengths : Hektor 28 - Elmar 35 - Summar 50 - Xenon 50 - Elmar 50 - Hektor 73 - Elmar 90 - 90 Thambar - Hektor 135. All together in the photograph that I enclose.

http://my-leica-historica.blogspot.it/2012/12/contenitori-tropicali-per-obiettivi.html#!/2012/12/contenitori-tropicali-per-obiettivi.html

Fabrizio

• Like 6

Wow!  That is an impressive assemblage, literally rarer than rare.

What I have never quite understood is why an aluminum container would provide better storage (in the tropics or elsewhere) than one made of bakelite, especially if the aluminum is deformed and can no longer give an airtight seal, as now seems true of most of these containers.

Anyway, for a beautiful blog, grazie molto, Fabrizio.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having copied Fabrizio's photo for my archives, I discover by chance this photo of the only one "tropical" I had in my own collection : the one for Elmar 3,5 cm. Never found a code for same.

• Like 1

M9reno, the heat and humidity of the tropics can be hard on leather goods, melting glue, and allowing rot.  Also, wet leather might promote oxidization of the lenses too.

Everyone, thank you all for exposing me to your vast knowledge and photos of your collections.  

Scott

Bakelite is an amazing plastic, but it has limitations, like chipping easily.  In the tropics it can swell with heat and humidity, but it does not soak in moisture like leather.  It's also absolutely non-conductive, not that conductivity is a problem for a lens case.  I love the colors that Bakelite can be molded in, though.

Are there Leica lens cases made of Bakelite?  If so, I'd like to buy some for my camera's lenses.  I don't live in a particularly humid climate, so leather cases would work for me, but I've seen so few in decent shape on eBay.  Oh... I digress... we should get back to aluminum cases, which are exotic and very rare.

Scott

Hi, skucera.

When reading your comments about bakelite cases, I remembered one of the very first lenses I bought when starting my Fontenelle Collection, and that always remained one of my favorites : an all-chrome 1:4/ 90 Elmar nº 646303 in a yellow-orange bakelite container. Laney says the "thin" Elmar 9 cm in satin chrome was introduced in 1949 (but shame! he doesn't even illustrate one) . I had three same in total (among my 43 Elmar 90), because I couldn't resist when I found one. The two other ones were serialled 646780 and 675171.

And here is a photo of the beauty - with its container -, but unfortunately a B&W one : I did not take color pictures of my collection at the beginning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a photo of some all chrome 90mm Elmars, with some of the containers used to hold them.  Aluminum (topics), Brown Bakelite, Black Bakalite, and clear plastic.

The all chrome 90mm Elmar was from about 1946/47, with some from the 645,xxx group, but mostly from the 646,xxx and 675,xxx lots. I can guess that less then 2500 were made.

Regards

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

attachicon.gif 90 all chrome.jpg

The all chrome 90mm Elmar was from about 1946/47, with some from the 645,xxx group, but mostly from the 646,xxx and 675,xxx lots. I can guess that less then 2500 were made.

Regards

Thanks, Alan! you offered us a superb photo. Your bakelite containers are different colors than mine. Aaaah these satin chrome Elmars 90...

Thanks, Alan! you offered us a superb photo. Your bakelite containers are different colors than mine. Aaaah these satin chrome Elmars 90...

I knew I had other baquelite containers than the one I illustrated above. I finally discovered two more photos of black ones : the first for an Elmar 9 cm, the other with a curious raised top - intended, I suppose, te secure the verticality of the lens - for Elmar 5 cm.

• Thanks 1

I enclose the only antique literature that reports the codes of containers in bachilite: BCDOO (Summaron o Elmar 3,5 cm.) BKSOO (Elmar o Summitar 5 cm.) BCOOA (Summitar 5 cm.) BDFOO (Elmar 9 cm.) BDOOZ (Hektor 13,5 cm.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I enclose the only antique literature that reports the codes of containers in bachilite: BCDOO (Summaron o Elmar 3,5 cm.) BKSOO (Elmar o Summitar 5 cm.) BCOOA (Summitar 5 cm.) BDFOO (Elmar 9 cm.) BDOOZ (Hektor 13,5 cm.)

Well done, FPangrazi! and thanks a lot. Now that I saw your illustrations, I am convinced I did have the French language leaflet in my library long ago. And, thanks to your information, I went back to my files and the notes I had on my chrome Elmar 9 cm nº 646303 that came in its bakelite box, and I found that I had quoted the code BDFOO. Another evidence that my old brain's memory is weakening, unfortunately...

• Like 1

Also interesting to note that no one of the codes discovered by our Paraguayan Leica mate, is listed by Dennis Laney. I first thought that his listing was exhaustive, I realize now it is just a repertory of the codes he cites. Does anybody know if it exists - somewhere else than in Leitz company's archives - such a complete list ?

Also interesting to note that no one of the codes discovered by our Paraguayan Leica mate, is listed by Dennis Laney. I first thought that his listing was exhaustive, I realize now it is just a repertory of the codes he cites. Does anybody know if it exists - somewhere else than in Leitz company's archives - such a complete list ?

Paraguayan?