Female Kestrel

Northwest Wanderer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Noticed this female kestrel in one of my aspen trees. She was near the top of the tree. Below her on the lower limbs were finches. It became clear the finches knew they were safe as long as they stayed in the tree. In the air the kestrel would attack these small birds. It's amazing to watch these dramas unfold.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Bill, a very nice image! And I notice your aspen tree is showing signs of the coming spring, for which you must be glad! 

I too have a small hawk of some sort settled in my garden, I hear it making it's wild, high, whistling call from time to time through the day,

but never actually catch sight of it, the elm and eucalyptus trees bordering garden are too dense with leaf. I imagine it is making a meal of

the many small birds also at home here, it certainly seems to have settled in.

• Like 1

Bill, a very nice image! And I notice your aspen tree is showing signs of the coming spring, for which you must be glad! 

I too have a small hawk of some sort settled in my garden, I hear it making it's wild, high, whistling call from time to time through the day,

but never actually catch sight of it, the elm and eucalyptus trees bordering garden are too dense with leaf. I imagine it is making a meal of

the many small birds also at home here, it certainly seems to have settled in.

Dee,

The aspen tree with buds is always a mystery to me. It's the middle of winter. Snow on the ground and it still buds out. This one tree does it every year. My other aspens don't have buds. I really need to learn more about trees. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dee,

The aspen tree with buds is always a mystery to me. It's the middle of winter. Snow on the ground and it still buds out. This one tree does it every year. My other aspens don't have buds. I really need to learn more about trees. 

Bill, I frequently feel the same about trees and their behaviour, they have their own agenda, who can tell?

much

Thank you Iduna.

This kestrel has been coming around my place for days now. She picks off a finch now and then but never more than she needs to survive.

crunchy munching!   :huh:   if there are many finches no species will come to harm. The kestrel has found a good reason to visit your garden for feasting...

• Like 1