Baby cones on the Longleaf pine tree.

platypus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Autumn is not far off, the pine trees in this part of the world are producing new cones.

M262/75 Lux

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Bill, thank you for your interest. The correct "common" name of this conifer is the Longleaf Pine, as noted in my Topic heading.

It is an evergreen conifer, botanical name Pinus Palustris and is native to the whole south eastern USA. The cones are indeed

very large, up to 8 or 9 inches in length and very decorative objects in all stages of development.

Family history has it that this particular tree was planted by my great grandfather, around 1880-90. During that period he imported

many specimen trees for his new garden, mainly from his native Scotland, from England and apparently also from the USA.

Climate-wise this tree has probably always thought it was in Texas, but has done well here despite that.

This summer, for reasons best known to itself, this Longleaf pine has produced a really unusually large number of cones, unfortunately the chronically

bored and naturally destructive members of the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo mob are busily entertaining themselves by ripping them off the branches. 

• Like 1

Your funny Dave.

Typos can be funny.

Please forgive me for making a personal remark, but I think our compadre Dave possesses (what we in this country would label as) a uniquely Australian sense of humour..... ;)  

(I trust that's is the correct smilie face, I'm never really quite sure which of those little dudes to use)

Edited by platypus
  • Like 1