206 GTB - among my favorite automotive shapes - three photos

stuny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've always liked this car's looks.  this is the day before it sold at an RM Sotheby's auction in New York. The 1969 Dino, with the Pininfarina styling which persisted through the 308 and 328, and influenced all the way to the other Ferrari mid engine cars through the current 488.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Nice images of a nice car!

The Dino is the all time favourite of mate of mine, he vowed to own one at some point but that was when they sold for relatively sensible money, as they weren't considered to be a proper Ferrari.

I'm not sold on the styling myself - it's a bit awkward in some areas IMHO. My personal favourite is the 308. Not that I'll ever own one! I'm happy with my Toyota MR2 Roadster which is a baby Ferrari!

James -

Thank you. In much the same styling camp is the Porsche 904, another design I rather like. The first one I saw was in the window of Lake Underwood's VW Porsche dealership, Aircooled Motors. He and Briggs Cunningham had just driven it to 1st in class, 5th overall at Sebring.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice images of a nice car!

The Dino is the all time favourite of mate of mine, he vowed to own one at some point but that was when they sold for relatively sensible money, as they weren't considered to be a proper Ferrari.

I'm not sold on the styling myself - it's a bit awkward in some areas IMHO. My personal favourite is the 308. Not that I'll ever own one! I'm happy with my Toyota MR2 Roadster which is a baby Ferrari!

Highlight mine...

Not to take attention away from this thread of beautiful Dino.... hello to another MR2 owner. I have the first year's (85's) silver MR2. Still with me, running strong with 275K miles. It is my daily ride. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What a dream car !!  Fiat imho made a great mistake abandoning soon their versions of the Dino (many years ago, an uncle of mine had a Fiat Dino Coupe, and I remember well how it was exciting to have a trip with... :) ). Btw, Ramarren... not to be pedant, but I speculate that the model you depicted is a 246, not 206 ...

Luigi -

Thank you and I recall the FIAT DIno coupe and spider, and I really liked them.  I've had 2 FIATS:  A 1500 roadster (de-tuned OSCA DOHC engine with Weber carb) and a 124 Sport Coupe.

Lovely car, the Dino 206. Noisy as a thresher when driving, but oh what noises! 

Here's a local one that pulled up at the shop last time I was in for tires ... 

Dino206.jpg

Dino206-2.jpg

Without wishing to be pedantic, are you sure that that's a 206 Dino. The 206 is extremely rare, as only a handful were ever being built. The 246 is far more "common" and back in the day it was considered the poor man's Ferrari at 'only' £5,000'ish new.

Sometime in the early 70's a friend of mine bought a 246. Though not new nor indeed entirely pristine, he paid around £1,600 for the car as nobody seemed to want them second hand. He soon found out why, they cost a fortune to repair and service. For example, to change the spark plugs on one side of the V at the obligatory 4,000 mile service intervals you had to disassemble the back of the car or take out the engine. They were also chronically unreliable and, quite frankly, pretty shoddily build. But, OH MY, when it wasn't being temperamental ................. I still recollect one balmy summer down in the south of France being allowed to drive it as it was designed to be driven along the winding and empty Grande Corniche from Nice to Monte Carlo ...............  that drive was more fun than sex ........... well certainly far more fun than sex with the car's owner ;)

• Like 1

Late to this thread!....

The 206 is my all-time favourite road car bar-none although Ferdinand Piech's "914-8" is a close second....

Yes, as has been said, the one in the OP is a 206 and the Targa-top'd one is a 246 GTS.

Easiest visual clue is the 3-eared wheel-spinners on the 206. Some 206's also had an exposed fuel-filler cap. In fact the one pictured is the only 206 I've ever known NOT to have an exposed filler cap but then again I haven't seen that many! FWIW the author Ian Webb gives a production figure of just 150 before the 246 took over in the Spring of '69.

The major advantage the 206 had over the 246 was an aluminium bodyshell. To give an idea of how bad was the rust problem with the 246 one of the photographs in Webb's (1985) book on the model reads;

"Not Scaglietti's factory in Modena with a Dino under manufacture but Graypaul Motors......as yet another 246 undergoes ground-up restoration before it's even ten years old."

EDIT : In case it's of interest here are a couple of snapshots taken of Pininfarina's first version of the Dino prototype which (AFAIK) made it's debut at the Paris Show in '65;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As can be seen from the rear-deck shape at this time the engine was still intended to be mounted longitudinally.

The car was in the Museum of the Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans, back in 2011. It might still be there for all I know...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

Luigi -

Thank you and I recall the FIAT DIno coupe and spider, and I really liked them.  I've had 2 FIATS:  A 1500 roadster (de-tuned OSCA DOHC engine with Weber carb) and a 124 Sport Coupe.

Me too ! Better to say, my dad... 1967... I was just 11 and my sister 12... still rather little to travel full family... but just two years later, he decided that sons were growing and times of coupes was at end... entered the honest 125.... :mellow:  (but... I someway suppose that yours one was the 2nd version - 4 front lamps and 1600 or 1800 engine... you are precise about denominations and our car was named simply  124 Coupe... Sport Coupe was the second).

Let me guess the color.... Yellow ? Odd enough, in Italy it was maybe the most frequent on 124 Coupes.... probably the only Fiat which was "fashionable" in that color...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Pip - Thank you.

Luigi - Mine was a '69 with 2 headlights, not 4, and in red. The red paint faded too quickly. I was in the Air Force at the time on temporary duty in California when I bought it. I also bought a number of spare parts and a service manual since I was taking the car back to North Dakota, about 180 km away from the nearest FIAT dealer.

• Like 2