21mm 2,8 asph "verdict"

Stein K S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I am curious about the discontinued 21Elmarit asph...To me both size, speed and price used makes this lens "ideal" for my use (general purpose adding to my 28, 35, 50 and 90 set). However, it seems to be a lens not too much "spoken of" in this forum compared to the Lux and the "new" SE... and this makes me somewhat curious...

Could I ask for some user experiences... both good and lesser good?

regards, Stein

Edited by Stein K S

Greetings.  I am speculating here, but if you are a die-hard 21mm user, maybe the 21/f3.4 SEM is more attractive.  If you are acquiring the 21mm to expand your horizon after the 28, 35, 50 and 90 set, the competition is tough, both performance and price wise.  In my case, for example, and via the pre-asph Elmarit, I ended up with the very capable Zeiss 21mm ZM. The Elmarit asph was certainly considered, but very briefly -- it lost on the dollar scale vis-a-vis its likelihood to be used (around 10% in my case).  Others may have a different experience, of course.  Regards.  

• Like 1

The 21mm Elmarit ASPH is excellent and truly usable wide, in my experience. Corner-to-corner sharpness is available by f/4.8. And, it works very well on the SL.

The SEM 21mm has the current ueber snap look of the Karbe team. So, the two lenses render quite differently, and I urge you to test shoot both before you decide.

Price-wise, the Leica M market is so soft right now, a minty Elmarit is probably not much different in price than a new SEM. There is a lot of new M equipment floating around the world right now.

It really comes down to which rendering style you prefer and whether you want the noticeably smaller DOF of f/2.8 vs. f/3.4 (at close focus).

At the times of M8, when bought mine, was the lens that bought with it (used) because "wanted a 28" and my beloved SA 21 3,4 suffered the known problem of metering... appreciated it and more even when switched to M240... no contest between it on M240 and CV15 on M8... :) it's MY 21, a focal that i always liked a lot... and doubt that I will ever change it.

Greetings.  I am speculating here, but if you are a die-hard 21mm user, maybe the 21/f3.4 SEM is more attractive.  If you are acquiring the 21mm to expand your horizon after the 28, 35, 50 and 90 set, the competition is tough, both performance and price wise.  In my case, for example, and via the pre-asph Elmarit, I ended up with the very capable Zeiss 21mm ZM. The Elmarit asph was certainly considered, but very briefly -- it lost on the dollar scale vis-a-vis its likelihood to be used (around 10% in my case).  Others may have a different experience, of course.  Regards.  

Hi and thanks

No die-hard user. And I also find this lens in local currency to be attractive... I do believe that I have a rather mint used one at hand for half the price of the SEM 3,4 new... and at appr. 25% higher price to the Zeiss new. All in all quite reasonable (in favour of the Elmarit?)...

regards, Stein

The 21mm Elmarit ASPH is excellent and truly usable wide, in my experience. Corner-to-corner sharpness is available by f/4.8. And, it works very well on the SL.

The SEM 21mm has the current ueber snap look of the Karbe team. So, the two lenses render quite differently, and I urge you to test shoot both before you decide.

Price-wise, the Leica M market is so soft right now, a minty Elmarit is probably not much different in price than a new SEM. There is a lot of new M equipment floating around the world right now.

It really comes down to which rendering style you prefer and whether you want the noticeably smaller DOF of f/2.8 vs. f/3.4 (at close focus).

Hi and thanks!

your comments on rendering do lead me to the Elmarit... I do tend to prefer classic look. And I also do think I have a rather mint available for appr half the price of the SEM new... (the norwegian krone really sucks these days... And heavily affects all imports...).

regards, Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the times of M8, when bought mine, was the lens that bought with it (used) because "wanted a 28" and my beloved SA 21 3,4 suffered the known problem of metering... appreciated it and more even when switched to M240... no contest between it on M240 and CV15 on M8... :) it's MY 21, a focal that i always liked a lot... and doubt that I will ever change it.

Hi and thanks!

I guess this is the kind of answer I actually hoped for... since I must admit that I find myself a bit "predisposed" for this lens...!

Regards, Stein

Edited by Stein K S

Hi Stein, it is a great lens. I got mine secondhand, and when I got it, it backfocused, was soft at the edges at all apertures and was really sh.1.t! I thought I had made a huge mistake. The lens was sent off to Leica who looked at the lens and repaired it for free as it was still under the original warranty! I love Leica!!!

The lens came back as it they had waved Pixie dust over it. Pin sharp at all apertures, as were the edges and with great colour. The SEM may be sharper but if you need that extra sharpness they you should be shooting MF. I use the lens a hell of a lot and it is wonderful.

I also dropped the lens onto hardcore ground and is still working almost as good as before. So it is optically a great lens that is tough PLUS it is 1/2 stop faster than the SEM. So whats not to love about it?

Here is a boring sample but is a real client photo that was taken to show signage in a new store.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Stein, it is a great lens. I got mine secondhand, and when I got it, it backfocused, was soft at the edges at all apertures and was really sh.1.t! I thought I had made a huge mistake. The lens was sent off to Leica who looked at the lens and repaired it for free as it was still under the original warranty! I love Leica!!!

The lens came back as it they had waved Pixie dust over it. Pin sharp at all apertures, as were the edges and with great colour. The SEM may be sharper but if you need that extra sharpness they you should be shooting MF. I use the lens a hell of a lot and it is wonderful.

I also dropped the lens onto hardcore ground and is still working almost as good as before. So it is optically a great lens that is tough PLUS it is 1/2 stop faster than the SEM. So whats not to love about it?

Here is a boring sample but is a real client photo that was taken to show signage in a new store.

Hi and great to hear about great Leica service!

Your comment pretty much ¨settles¨ my decision to go for this lens! Thanks!

regards, Stein

I cannot comment on the 21/2.8 ASPH, but I love my SEM 21/3.4; it is extremely well corrected and I have not found myself longing for the extra half stop that the 21/2.8 would give me. I would have to thing that you could not go wrong with either of these outstanding lenses.

Hi and Yes... the SEM seem to blow most users away... ;-) However, price is always an issue one way or the other (at least in my world)... and I do also find myself liking ¨previous¨ generation lenses just as much as the latest versions... or even more (the Cron 28 asph vs the EM 28 asp being one example... where I never really like the look of the EM... and I find the Cron to be just a delight...)...

So... Elmarit-M 21 asph... here I come!

regards, Stein

• Like 1

Hi and Yes.....[snip] So... Elmarit-M 21 asph... here I come!

regards, Stein

Enjoy in good health.  It might be redundant to highlight the importance of factoring in the cost of the 21mm viewer.  The viewer really enhances the joy of using this focal length.   Regards.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to add that the supplied lens hood is junk.

Mine lost a retaining clip which ment the hood kept falling off. So I bought a €20 wide angle metal (55mm fit) lens hood from Amazon which works great and looks the part as a bonus. The orignal hood has been put back into the lens box!

• Like 1

Forgot to add that the supplied lens hood is junk.

Mine lost a retaining clip which ment the hood kept falling off. So I bought a €20 wide angle metal (55mm fit) lens hood from Amazon which works great and looks the part as a bonus. The orignal hood has been put back into the lens box!

Hi again and thanks!

Mine actually works better than many of my other supplied hoods (the one that comes with the 28 cron and the 35 lux pre-fle being the "worst"). However, I do like the looks of round vented metal hoods better than many of the supplied square plastic hoods. So if you keep more product specs... or even a photo of yours, I would be very thankful!

regards, Stein

Enjoy in good health.  It might be redundant to highlight the importance of factoring in the cost of the 21mm viewer.  The viewer really enhances the joy of using this focal length.   Regards.  

Hi and agree! I have ordered the round metal 21/25 Voigtlander... I hear a lot of good stuff about it and the Leica alternative is nowadays redicilously expensive...

regards, Stein

Edited by Stein K S

I bought the 21/2.8 ASPH with the expectation (based on internet "reviews" and chatter) that it would "blow away" my pre-ASPH.  It did not, in fact the difference was barely perecptible, more like 2 copies of the same lens with minute sample variation than 2 different optical designs.  So I returned the ASPH version.  Some time later I procured a CV 21/4 (and since, an M version thereof) which has become my travel 21.  I still use the Elmarit on occasion, usually at indoor events when the extra stop comes in handy.