Buying a Barnack, what are your experiences and suggestions?

My CLA decisions were pretty clear-cut, though not immediate.  I purchased a Standard Model E, that although didn't have a CLA advertised, it sure operated as if it recently had one, quiet and silky smooth.  It's still that way, so I leave it alone.  A II Model D seemed ok at first, then one of the shutter curtains tore and Mr. Ye did a fine job with it.  A Canon III I purchased years ago also seemed ok until pictures revealed 3 tiny pinholes, so off to Essex for a shutter curtain replacement/CLA it went.  So it all depends.

I bought a IIIf RD about 15 years ago.  I had it CLA'd right away.  After 10 years the shutter need work because it was not capping correctly.  Now there is a pinhole light leak in one of the curtains.  Time for another CLA plus new curtains. Well worth it.  It's a 1953 body - that's 63 years old.  Not bad I'd say.

Cameras are mechanical devices and need maintenance. 

My If is still running fine so I can spare the IIif while it's away.   I've owned about 8 Barnacks over the years & I had everyone of them serviced when I got them (Don Goldberg must love me :) ).  I have all my cameras serviced.  It's just part of the cost of doing business when you shoot film.

I would consider getting a 2nd Barnak to have as a back-up.

I need no backup, cause I have enough cams ;-)

Today I finished my first film. While rewinding the film, I recogniced, that I can not pull up the rewind knob.

Is this normal on a III? (III without a,b,c,f,g...)

Edited by leicameter