Fujifilm announced “substantial” worldwide price increase of photographic film

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So why is there this post about film costs going up and why are people expressing concern about that? I have been on topic the entire time. Similarly, the model T is a great choice as it will appreciate. Just as older film Leicas do. A Barnack is certainly a Model T of Leica cameras when compared with what Leica is offering today. That Barnack post was about why it was less expensive to buy a Nikon F6 film camera for $1800 compared to $11,000 for a digital Leica. And he went on to why a Barnack was an affordable way to go because it will hold its value. All true and a more economical way to go if cost and depreciation is a major concern.

I didn't bring this subject up, what do you think one should say about it? That our only viable choices are between a Nikon F6, an $11,000 Leica and a Barnack?

The thread is about film cost so I don't see why you're talking about the cost of a Nikon v a Leica.

What should one do? I think that one should do as one pleases, and without being harangued for their choice, assuming it doesn't harm or offend others.

• Like 1

Pointing out the reality of situations in detail with documentation of facts is not a diatribe against using film.

Maybe not but it is, nonetheless, an ill-mannered thing to do. It's a form of pissing on someone's parade. It's tedious, unnecessary and unwelcome.

• Like 5

As an aside, I wonder about their [Fuiji's] claim of declining use, as most anecdotal evidence is of increasing film use (and sales). It's hard to find any factual information.

Not all companies' sales are going to move in lock-step. Nor are all markets. There are winners - and losers.

Fuji is predominantly in the E6 and "drugstore" color-neg markets, which are generally the ones hit hardest by pros going digital, and cellphone cameras.

Fuji may be selling fewer rolls, while Kodak, Lomo, Ilford, etc., with a stronger presence in pro C41 and/or B&W, may be seeing increases. But other companys' sales don't help Fuji's economies of scale.

Having returned to some film use in the past 2 years, I've shot several hundred rolls of 120 from Kodak or Ilford, and about 3 from Fuji. They no longer make anything I want (400 ISO B&W, and 100 ISO C41 color).

• Like 6

1,000 photos shot on slide film will cost at least $700 not including scanning and incidental costs. I often shoot more than that in a day.

Alan, it should be clear that except perhaps for a couple people here, nobody espousing film shoots that much, so the cost of the film is almost incidental.

• Like 1

Not all companies' sales are going to move in lock-step. Nor are all markets. There are winners - and losers.

Fuji is predominantly in the E6 and "drugstore" color-neg markets, which are generally the ones hit hardest by pros going digital, and cellphone cameras.

Fuji may be selling fewer rolls, while Kodak, Lomo, Ilford, etc., with a stronger presence in pro C41 and/or B&W, may be seeing increases. But other companys' sales don't help Fuji's economies of scale.

Having returned to some film use in the past 2 years, I've shot several hundred rolls of 120 from Kodak or Ilford, and about 3 from Fuji. They no longer make anything I want (400 ISO B&W, and 100 ISO C41 color).

Neopan 400 used to be my second choice of ISO 400 b&w after Tri-X. Fuji dropped it last year (IIRC).  It could have become my first choice as I was becoming more and more disenchanted with Tri-X's propensity to 'bow'.  Am currently trying HP5+ - developed a roll today (in 1:50 Rodinal), it dried beautifully flat. Just finished scanning it and will compare the results. Still have some Neopan in the freezer and have just reloaded the M7 with one.

PS - as per an earlier post, Acros 100 is very much my ISO 100 film of choice and I hope that the price increase is not too swingeing!

Edited by Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good point - I think the last roll of Fujifilm I bought was some Neopan 1600 a few years ago now. I've mostly always used Ilford for B&W and Kodak for colour neg, but I have a stock of Konica in my freezer I'm working through plus some Agfa and Lomo films. 

I rarely shoot any E6 now. 

I was just scanning some 120 E6 Velvia last week, stunning on the light table, they loose on the scan, but that was from the mid 90s, as above I rarely shoot E6 now.

Am waiting for a roll of Velvia shot with my Rolleicord Vb to came from AG Photo Lab. 

And now back to the topic...

Edited by Keith (M)

All is good. I have just had an email from Ag who have dispatched my order. They mentioned that they had a deluge of orders over the weekend and clearly had not heard about the Fuji price hike. I can see why Governments avoid telling the public about asteroids destined for Earth.

• Like 1

The thread is about film cost so I don't see why you're talking about the cost of a Nikon v a Leica.

What should one do? I think that one should do as one pleases, and without being harangued for their choice, assuming it doesn't harm or offend others.

You don't seem to understand that you are criticizing me for what someone else wrote.

You don't seem to understand that you are criticizing me for what someone else wrote.

In all likelihood you have said something similar enough before now. I think you've got yourself into that position Alan, so if the cap fits you're going to wear it, like it or not.

Steve

• Like 2

Follow up:

Hi
Thank you for requesting a bulk price for ACROS36
We can offer £4.99 per unit plus postage for 20. (once fresh stock has arrived) Delivery options available here - http://www.7dayshop.com/delivery-and-returns
If you would like to purchase, please get back to us and we will have the multi-buy price added to the product page.

Hmmm!!

• Like 1