Loading previews takes forever .. and ever, and ever ..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

Surely there have been tons of discussions about this and probably I havent found those threads, but I have to say, loading 100% previews from S007 DNGs takes FOREVER and most of the times it doesnt start automatically. If I dont click on the status bar, it wont start.

I know, the files are bigger etc, but I noticed that a few years ago already with the M240 files. In comparison to to the CR2 files from Canon Mark II and III all of the Leica DNGs just take ages.

It is inconceivable to me, especially under the light of Leica's and Adobe's collaboration.

Can anyone explain to me WHY? (Computer performance is not the issue, I'm OK with my Mac).

I know, the files are bigger etc, but I noticed that a few years ago already with the M240 files. In comparison to to the CR2 files from Canon Mark II and III all of the Leica DNGs just take ages.

I assume you are talking about the Library previews in Lightroom.

I have Lightroom 6 and don't notice any dramatic difference in preview speed between M240 DNG and Canon CR2.

Both raw formats embed a JPEG preview that should be used instantly while the accurate preview based on development settings is calculated. The accurate preview is then cached by Lightroom.

Check your Lightroom setup and carefully review preferences.

As a side note, be aware that if video files are intermixed with photos, Lightroom can do weird things. Video support in Lightroom is poorly implemented and has bugs.

Hey Cat

Thank you for your reply. Of course I was talking about Lightroom:) I forgot to mention that. 

Yes, the embedded previews are shown immediately in Library, but what I am talking about is the calculation/rendering of the 100% previews that's taking so long. And in the import dialog, no previews are displayed, only the DNG icon. So if I just want to import part of the batch, I dont know which ones they are.

I am not sure about the M240 as it's not very often used these days, but S007 almost daily. And its just slowing down my workflow.

Best, Jorma.

This is probably my biggest complaint with Lightroom.  With higher resolution images If you have Lightroom set to create the 1:1 previews on import - import takes forever.  If you have it create standard previews on import it goes much faster, but if then you need to check critical focus on an image while in the Library Module you have to wait while Lightroom creates the 1:1 preview for that image.  And if you decide to apply a global correction to those images after import the 1:1 previews are no longer applicable and must be recreated.  I don't know whether this is due to the larger image sizes or just slow code.  I suspect the later since I don't see it in Capture One.

• Like 2

Can anyone explain to me WHY? (Computer performance is not the issue, I'm OK with my Mac).

You should be okay with a Mac. I would still look for unlikely causes which we can get to later.

Are you connected to the Cloud?

If I had the same issues using Capture One I would suspect a system problem.  I'm running a Windows 10 PC (previously Windows 7 - same performance) with  i7 processor and both applications, catalog, and previews on SSDs.  The performance issue really became apparent with the files from my D810 and now those from my M-240.  With Capture One 9 (Catalog mode) imports are reasonably fast (lightning fast compared to Lightroom) and 100% zooms almost instantaneous regardless of any edits. Lightroom CC is still reasonably responsive with the smaller (10 -16 mpx) files from my older bodies, but performance noticeably slows once images reach 24 - 36 mpx.

I'm a fan of Lightroom and started with the beta version that preceded Lightroom 1.  I really like its catalog functions, but more and more I use Capture One for processing.  Since Phase One developed Capture One to process high resolution files from its medium format digital backs it may be  better suited for handling large file sizes.  I note that the current version supports the new 100 mpx back.

Edited to add:

I had the same Lightroom issues when running Windows 7.  When I went to Windows 10 I added the SSD and did a clean install. The SSDs helped a bit but did not make a dramatic improvement with Lightroom.  I tried all the tricks.  Rather than having a single catalog with all my images going back to 2002 - I created a current year catalog with only my 2015 shots.  I even put the 2015 images on the SSD.  No noticeable improvement.  I think Lightroom is just slow with large image files.

Edited by Luke_Miller

Maybe you have a corrupt file!  -- Look at your Console, see whats happening there....

OSX 10.11.3 is the latest...

Unfortunately I understand nothing about Console.

And I am not going to update to El Capitan until it is shockproof and a bit more mature. I heard it's also still having issues with Adobe/Leica etc. 

100% previews that's taking so long. And in the import dialog, no previews are displayed, only the DNG icon.

I don't understand what you mean by "100% previews".

I do the following:

- Extract the flash card from the camera and insert it into a card reader.

- Copy all files into a folder on my Mac drive.

- Unmount the flash card.

- Import from that folder.

Like I said, I have a M240, and the embedded previews are displayed in a matter of seconds in the import dialog.

My photo workstation is an old 8-cores Mac Pro 2010, still working great as I have upgraded it to 48 GB RAM.

Edited by CheshireCat

I got Lightroom 6.3, no CC.

Tower MacPro HexaCore 3.3, SSD Bootdrive, Lightroom Catalogue and Files on a fast 3 HD striped RAID.

MacOS 10.9.5 

Hi, you have a very impressive set up... surely even to enable you to build it you needed certain Mac knowledge!!  Updates are there to enable 3rd party & Apple Apps to work hand in hand,,

I have NO problems with the latest OSX 10.11.3 and LR or Adobe.. Try SMC and PRAM resets <- lots of issues cured going this route... Monitor is Easy -> Apple -> Use Activity Monitor on your Mac... How often have you Used Disk Utility to First Aid your HD's (Ext & Internal)...

Edited by manoleica

I have pretty much the same set-up as Luke (minus the SSDs, and still running Win7), and while it takes longer for Lightroom to generate 1:1 previews than smaller ones, it hasn't been much of a problem importing Monochrom files. I run 16GB of RAM, if that makes any difference. Mind you, I rarely import more than about 50 images at a go. If I have that many, I just click the import button and wander out to the kitchen and pour a glass of wine. A bit odd that you have to goose the status bar to get the import started.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Sorry for the wait.

I did a test measuring only the time for rendering the 1:1 previews. I did it on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB with EL Capitan, Lightroom 6.4, SSD Bootdrive) with an empty catalog, 

I processed the same amount of GB of CR2 (Canon Mark III), Leica M240 DNG, Leica S007 DNG and the result is the following:

2.59GB 89 Files of CR2: 4:24 Minutes

2.59GB 100 Files of DNGM: 5:16 Minutes

2.57GB 57 Files of DNGS: 10:20 Minutes

I also did a test of 100 Files each leading to the following result:

100 Files of CR2: 4:57 Minutes

100 Files of DNGM: 5:10 Minutes

100 Files of DNGS: 16:10 Minutes

Note that the Leica Files always take 40-60 seconds till the rendering starts, that time is not included in the above figures.

So my impression was wrong about the Leica M files taking much longer, maybe slightly. But the Leica S files seem to take 2 or 3 times longer, depending on how you want to look at it (number of files (3x) vs. same folder size (2x).

I might try the exact same test on my desktop Mac, but I have to get it running first, El Capitan doesnt seem to work after all.

Best, Jorma.

OK. Sorry for the wait.

I did a test measuring only the time for rendering the 1:1 previews. I did it on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012, 2.6 i7, 16GB with EL Capitan, Lightroom 6.4, SSD Bootdrive) with an empty catalog, 

I processed the same amount of GB of CR2 (Canon Mark III), Leica M240 DNG, Leica S007 DNG and the result is the following:

2.59GB 89 Files of CR2: 4:24 Minutes

2.59GB 100 Files of DNGM: 5:16 Minutes

2.57GB 57 Files of DNGS: 10:20 Minutes

I also did a test of 100 Files each leading to the following result:

100 Files of CR2: 4:57 Minutes

100 Files of DNGM: 5:10 Minutes

100 Files of DNGS: 16:10 Minutes

Note that the Leica Files always take 40-60 seconds till the rendering starts, that time is not included in the above figures.

So my impression was wrong about the Leica M files taking much longer, maybe slightly. But the Leica S files seem to take 2 or 3 times longer, depending on how you want to look at it (number of files (3x) vs. same folder size (2x).

I might try the exact same test on my desktop Mac, but I have to get it running first, El Capitan doesnt seem to work after all.

Best, Jorma.

I forgot to add, that Leica S 007 files are still not displayed correctly in the import dialog in LR (6.4) as seen in the screenshot below.

Has anyone noticed this behavior?

screen_leica_s_import.jpg

How much memory do you have?

I was surprised how much quicker the iMac works after expanding its RAM to 16 GB, the maximum available for this particular computer.

I've never understood why LR sometimes displays placeholders (as you show) instead of the actual images, but in my case the frequency of that behavior seems to have decreased with the memory expansion.

Another thought: Are you using fast cards for all the cameras?

You've got a stumper here, Jorma. :-(