Visoflex I

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thankj you JC, in fact is a little expensive. Actually the first I was checking was one on sale at Leica Shop, is very nice and cheaper. This one made me curious because of the 4x magnification part, however I don't know how useful can be. If it wouldn't, I'd go for the other one.

You will need a thread mount viso 1.   And you are not supposed to adapt it to M cameras, probably a rotational problem.

135 4.5 Hector is the shortest lens that will focus to infinity except for the 125 Hector.   Bellows usually comes with adapter for 135 lens head,    90 and 65 can be used for close up only

125 2.5 is a dream lens for portraits.

Ok, this seems to be the thread to ask this...  I have a Viso III that is in regular use with my M9P and M4-P, but this one came to me with my Viso 65mm Elmar.   I have what appears to be a Viso I in M mount with an M39 lens mount and an M39 to M42 adapter with both a chimney finder and 45* finder. I want to sell the thing, but I don't exactly know what to call it or how to value it. From the research I've done, I've only seen one other photo of the Viso I in M mount...  Can you learned folks help me out and tell me what I really have and perhaps give me an idea of its rarity?  If I know what it really is, perhaps I can figure out if there's even a market for it, or how to value it.   Thanks!

24741756405_f2f63ec653_z.jpg20160130-DSCF9362 by Roger H, on Flickr

24715542476_1bfd030977_z.jpg20160130-DSCF9361 by Roger H, on Flickr

24623953402_670822025e_z.jpg20160130-DSCF9359 by Roger H, on Flickr

Edited by hepcat

Well, as a follow up, it appears that this thing isn't as rare as I'd thought... there are several of them on eBay right now... so I guess this one will be out there with them... we'll see what happens. 

• 7 years later...

Well, since this thread is here already...

What is the purpose of the knurled ring around the body of the reflex housing surrounding the ground glass?  It seems to have about half a turn of adjustment on mine, but I can't see what, if anything, it adjusts.

The Visoflex I seems to be the one thing Butkus doesn't have an original manual for.

12 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

If I understand well, you have to gently unscrew the screws around the connecting ring adjust the viso body to the camera body and next screw them again.

I mean this ring (highlighted in yellow):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is that the one you mean too?  It turns independently of the prism/magnifier mount, and doesn't seem related to the camera mount. And there are different internal screws for adjusting the angle of the viewfinder mask.

14 hours ago, qqphot said:

It turns independently of the prism/magnifier mount

That ring should not turn.  There is one set screw in the chrome ring and two set screws in the black tube below the chrome ring.  You can see one of the two lower screws in your photo.  I think the set screw on the chome ring is loose on your unit.  Repair of the Visoflex I is covered in detail in Thomas Tomosy's book "Leica Camera Repair Handbook" on pages 108 and 109.

6 hours ago, zeitz said:

That ring should not turn.  There is one set screw in the chrome ring and two set screws in the black tube below the chrome ring.  You can see one of the two lower screws in your photo.  I think the set screw on the chome ring is loose on your unit.  Repair of the Visoflex I is covered in detail in Thomas Tomosy's book "Leica Camera Repair Handbook" on pages 108 and 109.

This is very helpful, thank you.  It doesn't appear to have any adverse impact but it's always worthwhile to learn about the construction and repair of these things.

I recommend trying to tighten the set screws.  Turn the chrome ring until it stops.  Looking down from above the viewfinder, turn the ring clockwise as far as it will go.  Then, with a proper/quality screwdriver, tighten the set screws.  Unless tight, the set screws could gradually work their way out of the threads and get lost.