Leica X-U: Outdoor And Underwater Camera

LUF Admin

Leica introduces the new Leica X-U (Type 113), its first dedicated outdoor camera. Technically it's based on the current Leica X (type 113) but it's also shock-resistant, winterised, dust-sealed, shatter proof, water resistant up to 15 metres.

» More info and images in the Leica Blog

attachicon.gifLeica-X-U_forum.jpg

Is the price I've seen suggested at £2400 correct ? It seems ridiculously high even by Leica standards

Why not build a rugged around the D-lux? Should be cheaper. Like the Panasonic dmc-ft5 or 6, which lacks RAW btw.

It would be better to have a small rugged that you can take on your bike or hike. The X-U is still too big for bikers or hikers

Edited by otto.f

A huge public garden not far from home

South Cottesloe Beach, Australia

X-U

ISO 1250

1/1000 s

f/8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

John

It's not that slow - especially for the type of photography you would use this camera for.  It's not a professional Canon DLSR with autofocus that can track a subject running down a field.  I bought mine to use on our family vacations that involved water or times when I didn't want to take my M.  Have been very happy with the camera.  Here's a couple from a recent trip to Austraila.  

26192369858_e67f6c4abb_b.jpgAustralia-1002954-2 by reddott2012, on Flickr

26192375798_76c2ab92a0_b.jpgAustralia- by reddott2012, on Flickr

• 3 months later...

Here's one from a trip to the Bahama's earlier this year.

Bahamas_-1 by reddott2012, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

My previously posted comments about the XU are rather negative and did not take into account its full potential. Recently I've considered several shallow underwater / water surface level projects and thus considered purchasing a Nikon AW1 or Leica XU.  Other smaller formats were disregarded as need to make A3 size exhibition prints with good dynamic range. A s/h "the price was right' Nikon AW1 was almost chosen despite its 1" sensor's dynamic range not being as good as that of APS-C. However, AW-1 reviews suggest that too many have failed i.e. they 'leaked' water due to poor seals, and ineffective 'O' ring seals (but latter could be due to users' poor maintenance). 

This morning I received a secondhand XU and am very impressed by its build quality and 'heft'. The 'used' Leica XU cost c. 4.5x the price of a 'used' AW1 but I feel very much more confident about the XU after handling and testing it this morning. Furthermore, it's possible to attach RAYNOX supplementary achromatic c/u lenses i.e. the 150 ( 4.8 diopter) and 250 (8 diopter) provided the Raynox spring clips are positioned between the camera's front bezel screw heads. For additional security the Raynox c/u lenses will be held in place via rubber bands wrapped around the camera body and the spring clip heads. There is some vignetting when the Raynox c/u lenses are attached but the important centre of the image can be cropped. The battery is common to the X1, X2, and X Vario and I'm used to using each of the X series cameras with achromatic supplementary c/u lenses. 

One of the first tests was to drop the camera into a saucepan full of water … not surprisingly it passed the test … but I was a little apprehensive about this prior to actual immersion. I'll need to carry a paper towel roll when used at local ponds … which will give you a clue as to potential springtime applications e.g. mating toads … hopefully some 50/50 underwater/above surface images. 

Looking forward to using the XU asap.

Best wishes

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Contrary to my #98 remarks and after immersing the XU in a bucket of water and then drying it …  and after posting above comments:

Unfortunately after drying the exterior I noticed that water was leaking out of the joins / edges in the rubber armour … and by applying slight finger pressure to the armour, particularly to the rubber armour surrounding the rear monitor, more water continued to seep and ooze out of the edges. The seepage continued for a long time. Thus water must have penetrated behind the rubber armour. The camera continued to work OK and no water was visible in e.g. the lens or behind the monitor or in the battery compartment … but the seepage from the rubber armour joins continued as I applied light finger pressure. The camera is supposed to be washed after every underwater use thus should be able to withstand a short immersion in a bucket of water. I also searched online i.e. for user reviews and none of them mention water seepage from the rubber armour edges / joins after immersion. The camera was working fine and cosmetic condition was better than in the dealer's description … but the water seepage from the rubber armour edges does not inspire confidence. Regrettably I lost confidence in the camera for watertight underwater imaging and thus returned it to the dealer. A full refund was subsequently received.  

After researching a shallow underwater solution for my Leica X1 will likely buy a EWA Marine 3D-L underwater housing.  

dunk