Leica Q or Fujifilm X Pro 2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I carry both in my Bellingham Hadley Small bag. I either have the XF35/1.4 or XF 56/1.2 on the fuji. If I was to take just one camera it would nearly always be the Leica Q. This said when out and about the camera I use most is the Q as for street work it is just the best. I use the fuji if I want a tighter view or the 56/1.2 if I'm doing portraits. My main system for event and landscape work is the Sony A7rII

Many thanks ... I learn little by little  :)

• 1 month later...

This is a timely topic for me. I just sold my Nikon D810 and a Leica M240. I still have the Leica M240P with an assortment of lens. I also, am keeping the Nikon D500 with an assortment of lens which I mainly use for bird photography and macro. I initially thought I would purchase the Fuji XPro2 with the hopes I could try it out and see if I could save a boat load of money now and in the future by falling in love with the Fuji system. I used to have a Fuji X100S which I liked until I bought the Leica M. The Fuji went on a shelf and I never used the Fuji afterwards. The Fuji was a fun little camera and made decent photos but not in the realm of the Leica. I was all set to buy the Fuji xpro2 due to all the rave reviews of how it is so much improved and wonderfully comparable to Leica image quality and so much less expensive. But wait....I kept reading and now I'm just not convinced. I'm afraid that I would like it "just enough" but it would be a compromise and I would always be thinking, "I wonder what this would have looked like with the FF Leica and amazing Leica lens?" So, now I'm considering the Leica Q as a companion to the M240P for a travel kit. For quick street shots and when auto focus would be appreciated I could put out the Q. When I can slow down or want to use a longer focal length I could bring the 50 or 90 or even the wonderful wide angle 21 SEM. Am I a FF snob? Maybe. I'm certainly not wealthy and wish sometimes I had never gotten into Leica so having the Fuji Xpro2 would be perfectly fine and I would love it. Still on the fence but leaning heavily towards the Q. I want the M10 but the prudent part of me thinks to wait and enjoy my 240P.  So many choices. My head says buy the Fuji and be happy and tell everyone "it's just as good as the Leica for image quality", but I really don't think it is. Does it matter? Probably not but still it seems to matter to me.

..."I wonder what this would have looked like with the FF Leica and amazing Leica lens?"...

One appeal of adapting those amazing Leica lenses to a Fuji X camera is that you don't worry about the corners much because the APS-C sensor does not see the corner work of a FF lens. You get the benefits of the Fuji X-Pro 2. Yes, the price you pay is that ultra-wide is not available because of the crop factor. On the other hand, a 50 mm Summicron on the Fuji sees the scene that a 75 mm lens sees on a FF camera.

• Like 1

I have both the Fuji X-Pro2 (with five lenses) and the Leica Q - just got the Q and so far really like it - but also like my Fuji system ... if I was to compare (I have the Leica's and they all have that 'Leica' look) I would say the Leica's have the feel of platinum prints I used to do in the old days and the fuji is a nice 'harsher' feel. I won't get rid of any of them and never know what one I will take with me when I travel  :)

I have just sold my X-Pro 2 with a number of primes from 14mm to 56mm. Yes, I thought the Fuji combo with their prime lenses was quite outstanding and they served me well on a trip to Iceland last year, all neatly fitting into a Retrospective 6. As i get older I have begun to feel the draw of the Q in terms of reported quality and lightness. I did have some reservations about the limit of a 28mm. But it is now day 4 of being a Q owner. I have only had the chance to use it on a dullish day BUT I am completely blown away by that lens. Such clarity and sharpness rarely demanding much Photoshop sharpening even from a RAW. I have read about the special feel and quality of Leica lenses and I may be persuading myself to justify the swap. Time will tell but on initial experience I would not hesitate to chose a Q over a X-Pro 2 provided of course you are happy with a fixed 28mm lens. Having said that there is so much detail that provided you are not looking for an A3 enlargement there is plenty of scope for a crop.

I have both the Q and the X-Pro2. Also have an M10 on order (the Q was the gateway drug to Leica M). I don't know what it is, but I feel more emotional attachment with the Fuji than the Leica. The Q lens is spectacular and the body and build quality are on a different level, however it somehow also feels a bit too much like a P+S. Perhaps it's also because I have the excellent Fuji 16MM F1.4 which is a very sharp lens with great contrast and close focusing capability. When the M10 arrives, I'll decide on whether to sell the Q.

• Like 1