QR plate for SL

AlanJW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone using a QR plate they can recommend for the SL?

i just got the new Really Right Stuff catalog but am unsure. Many flat plates will fit, I assume, but will one that's small enough to get to the battery be usable?

tia

Just bought a Kirk 2.5" plate. Fits OK, but haven't used it in anger. I'd like a plate with a rubberised base to avoid scratching things, but I don't think they exist.

Note that the plate, any plate I guess, is wider than the SL base, and sticks out towards you. A bit disconcerting, but doesn't hit my chin.

• Like 1

What I've found on Arca-Swiss adapter plates: 

Acratech:

• 2137 for M/M-P typ 240 fits well. 

Really Right Stuff: 

• BP-CS fits very well, put the positioning ridge at the front of the body with the center index at the rear. Doesn't block anything. Has eyelets for a hand strap built in. 
  • The B25 C (listed for the R8 and R9) fits with the locking ridge at the front of the body; there's excess that overhangs the rear of the body by 8-9mm. Remove the safety screw and it makes a good "fore/aft" capable tripod mount with a little room to move the camera back and forth for fine macro positioning (poor man's macro slide…).
  • The distance from tripod screw to locator pin socket is 14mm, which means the B26 camcorder plate should fit just fine, same deal as the B25C but a bit more compact and likely no overhang.
Edited by ramarren

i just got the new Really Right Stuff catalog but am unsure. Many flat plates will fit, I assume, but will one that's small enough to get to the battery be usable?

tia

On the SL I am using both Really Right Stuff B9 plate and MC-L-Multi-Camera-L-Plate.

Both of them let the battery ejection lever and the battery itself totally accessible.

The B9 is small and light plate, but it has an anti-twist flange and bi-diretional dovetails which are making it strong and useful.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B9-Multi-use-bidirectional-plate

The MC-L-Multi-Camera-L-Plate is the generic L from RRS plate but almost looks like it has been made for the SL. It has also an any-twist flange.

A review of the MC-L-Multi-Camera-L-Plate ;

http://scenictraverse.com/blog/2016/1/6/really-right-stuff-l-plate-for-the-leica-sl

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/MC-L-Multi-Camera-L-Plate

Here a picture of the RRS B9 :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1

I mainly use the B9 on the R adapter M tripod mount these days.

I only move to the R Adapter M tripod mount when the lens is in the heavier-longer group (15/3.5, 19/2.8, 90/2, 135/2.8, 180/4) to improve on balance. For 24, 35, 50, and 60 mm lenses, it doesn't seem as balanced as using the body's tripod mount. The big guns (180/2.8 v1 and 250/4 v1) have their own tripod mounts.

I only move to the R Adapter M tripod mount when the lens is in the heavier-longer group (15/3.5, 19/2.8, 90/2, 135/2.8, 180/4) to improve on balance. For 24, 35, 50, and 60 mm lenses, it doesn't seem as balanced as using the body's tripod mount. The big guns (180/2.8 v1 and 250/4 v1) have their own tripod mounts.

I use mainly the R-Vario's. 

• 1 month later...

I had purchased the RRS MC-L-Multi-Camera-L-Plate, which works fairly well.  Naturally, today I got an email from Really Right Stuff regarding preorder availability for their new, SL-specific QR plate and L-Plate.  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates/Plates-for-Leica/SL

Can you please provide a better link.  All I am seeing is the start page for RRS.  Thanks

Looks like RRS have screwed up their website - there's no way in unless you sign up to their email alerts. Of course I will  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

That said, I bought a Kirk plate, as noted early in this thread. I found that, with the Spider Pro hand grip, which fastens between the plate and the body, it slipped badly. Cutting my losses I bought a RRS BP-CS plate and a Herringbone hand grip that fastens to it. The RRS is much thinner than the Kirk plate, and I'm happy to leave it on permanently - the Kirk was thick. The Herringbone strap will take a bit of breaking in, but is a more elegant solution than the Spider Pro strap. The plate itself feel very secure.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I continue to use the RRS BP-CS plate. It works very well on the SL. With my custom hand strap*, I can leave the BP-CS on 100% of the time; it doesn't get in the way at all. 

That said, I received an advertisement from them just recently that said they were releasing a dedicated SL plate. I don't have it handy at present, but it should be good. 

*See the SL bag thread for a description of my custom hand strap. 

tia

I am using a Novoflex QPL1 with a Novoflex Quadruped. This one is very small  1.5 inch square, the battery is removable without an issue by quite some distance-

Just bought a Kirk 2.5" plate. Fits OK, but haven't used it in anger. I'd like a plate with a rubberised base to avoid scratching things, but I don't think they exist.

Note that the plate, any plate I guess, is wider than the SL base, and sticks out towards you. A bit disconcerting, but doesn't hit my chin.

The Novoflex QPL1 has rubber on so no problem

tia

The BP-CS fits almost perfectly.. But I've been badgering RRS for months and it's paid off. They're making an SL plate and L-bracket!!

• Like 1

I can't see an image on the RRS site. What does the new plate look like and why is it better than another, and what makes it specific to the SL?

It should gives access to the rubber door on the left side.