Rumor - Three new Leica M lenses tomorrow?

Rick

According to Leica sore Miami, the new 35 cron will be cheaper then the current one. From the Spec's it is not clear how different the lens are. Supposedly more blades, and it looks like entrance pupil distance is changed. Instead of around 18mm is around 10mm. I would be curious to know how it differs in performance to the current one.

I am happy with my 35 cron. Never had any visible focus shift problems with landscape pics, but it would be nice if Leica decide to produce a cheaper, small 35 cron that competes with Zeiss.

Yes, the 35 asph is a bit overdue for renewal.

But I'm not ditching my nice 12585 lens hood for a new, larger design ;)

I am waiting for the threads that praise the rendering/contrast/bokeh of the "classic" 35 asph over the "harsh" new one..:D It always happens that way.

Disclosure - it is, despite its age, my favourite 35 mm lens, which I prefer over the newest Summilux. Never had any issues with focus shift either. :)

Exaaaact. All the new one will do is be called way too "clinical" and the old one will become "magical", despite the fact that it was "too clinical" up to now.

• Like 4

Its interesting that the 28/2.8 features much improved field curvature. I wonder if this is as a result of flat field being recognised as the pre-requisite of 'digital' optimised lenses?

On page 420 of E.Puts's Leica Compendium, he describes the 28/2.8 ASPH 11606 as "This may be one of the first 28mm lenses for CRF cameras that display no distortions at all" then "an excellent flatness of field".  So, outside of a laboratory, is anyone going to be able to appreciate the claimed "significantly reduced image field curvature" ?

When Lensrentals gets one there is no way I'll be able to resist renting it for a week to test. Optically my Zeiss 35/2.8 Biogon is better than my 35 Cron ASPH.

I disagree, for colour I find the Zeiss too contrasty compared to the Summicron. I prefer it on my Monochrom, though.
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

............ and it looks like entrance pupil distance is changed. Instead of around 18mm is around 10mm...........

Perhaps we need to be a little careful about the position of the Entrance Pupil.

Previously, as I understand it, it was quoted measured from the Front Element in the direction of the light.

Now, it seems, it is being quoted from the bayonet mount.

• Like 4

Well that has devalued my existing 35 and 28 ASPH Summicrons by around 25% at a guess. However as I very rarely sell any Leica stuff, it probably doesn't really matter. I have found the current (or previous as from today) lenses adequately sharp on my M240 and SL and mine have non-problematic aperture shift. 

The only problem I have had, is like many others, the front of the 28 Summicron coming unscrewed. It is held in place by three tiny grub screws, sitting into very shallow detents and the grub screws seem to be made out of cheese. The attempts of various people to tighten mine have totally mangled them. This is made worse if you use the standard clunky hood (I don't but use a Contax titanium GG1 hood and cap instead), which makes it very awkward to hold this short lens by the body to mount or unmount. Holding by the hood, will soon cause the front section to come unscrewed. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Well that has devalued my existing 35 and 28 ASPH Summicrons by around 25% at a guess. However as I very rarely sell any Leica stuff, it probably doesn't really matter. I have found the current (or previous as from today) lenses adequately sharp on my M240 and SL and mine have non-problematic aperture shift. 

The only problem I have had, is like many others, the front of the 28 Summicron coming unscrewed. It is held in place by three tiny grub screws, sitting into very shallow detents and the grub screws seem to be made out of cheese. The attempts of various people to tighten mine have totally mangled them. This is made worse if you use the standard clunky hood (I don't but use a Contax titanium GG1 hood and cap instead), which makes it very awkward to hold this short lens by the body to mount or unmount. Holding by the hood, will soon cause the front section to come unscrewed. 

Wilson

Grub screws are not high tech. Why not just have them drilled out a bit bigger at a shop and use bigger screws? It would only need to be fractionally larger; probably wouldn't even notice the difference. I would imagine the gents at e.g., Luton could do it.

Good luck (or, 'enjoy your new Summicron!'),

s-a

"Well that has devalued my existing 35 and 28 ASPH Summicrons by around 25% at a guess. However as I very rarely sell any Leica stuff, it probably doesn't really matter. I have found the current (or previous as from today) lenses adequately sharp on my M240 and SL and mine have non-problematic aperture shift...." 

Wilson has a point.  Now maybe I can afford to replace that 28mm Summicron I stupidly sold [at a profit] in order to finance the Monochrom.  The "old" version may drop in price a bit.

No, the old versions may drop a bit in price but, will it will soon become a lens of lore.  Their mythical status will rival the new lens.  

Not to mention that these new lens hoods aren't worth a damn.  They are for looks not keeping light off of the front element.  If you buy a new lens with its new hood you'll have to carry a hat or something else to shade the lens.

I'll stick with my plenty good enough old versions.  

And, I can't imagine we will find out that the exit pupil has magically moved forward without a complete redesign.  These are the same lenses with crappy hoods.  Just my speculation...

Rick

I passed on the last generation of those lenses, will pass on these also.  Actually I did own the 35/2-ASPH but sold it because I prefer the rendering of the v.4 and even v.3.  Ditto the 21/2.8-ASPH, 90/2-APO/ASPH and 135/3.4-APO, all of which I owned and sold in favor of their predecessors.  I have no complaints about those older lenses on digital, and the mechanical construction is solid after all these years.  Well, the v.4 35 Cron has a tendency to come apart if the hood is used to mount/dismount the lens, but I know not to do that.

These lenses will have been newly redesigned. Have a look at pictures of the old vs the new respective lenses. The older lenses have elements that go much deeper into the camera (i.e. below the mount), and are more symmetrical. The new designs do not protrude far below the mount at all and could be inferred as more retro-focus. I think these are entirely new lenses and not just revisions. It also goes someway to explaining what some one asked before "optimised for digital", as there is now a greater distance between the lens and the sensor or film.

• Like 2

Well the 28 cron is to die for on the M9, but seems a bit harsh on the 240. Will be very interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference.

I agree that the 28 Summicron is sublime on the M9, but so it is on the Monochrom and M240.  different, but certainly not harsh to my eye.

• Like 1

These lenses will have been newly redesigned. Have a look at pictures of the old vs the new respective lenses. The older lenses have elements that go much deeper into the camera (i.e. below the mount), and are more symmetrical. The new designs do not protrude far below the mount at all and could be inferred as more retro-focus. I think these are entirely new lenses and not just revisions. It also goes someway to explaining what some one asked before "optimised for digital", as there is now a greater distance between the lens and the sensor or film.

What happens with the lens profiles and the six bit encoding when they change the optical recipe for a lens?

It seems that Lightroom uses the lens identification picked up by the camera using the six bit encoding to pick the lens profile. With a new lens optical design wouldn't the lens profile be different?

I wonder if Leica will ever replace the six bit encoding with something more advanced like a smart chip on the lens mount to identify the lenses more precisely than 6 bits. I guess alternatively they could turn 6 bits into 12 bits or more by adding a couple shade of grey.