Rumor - Three new Leica M lenses tomorrow?

Rick

Incidentally, the introduction of new versions of these lenses (if true) should be a good buying opportunity as many of these are dumped on the second hand market by 'upgraders'. Used prices for the 28 Summicron are already pretty low so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go well under £1500.

I don't know french.

But here is the post on Leicarumors: http://leicarumors.com/2016/01/14/leica-introduces-three-new-m-lenses-with-improved-performance-summicron-m-35mm-summicron-m-28mm-and-elmarit-m-28mm.aspx/

It says the lenses has a new optical design.

Although here it says that the lenses retain the same qualities as the previous versions: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-leica-gives-three-wide-angle-m-lenses-makeover?BI=4906

At most I expect a new coating or something similar... No complete re-designs.

Edited by indergaard

According to Leica's site (http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-Lenses) its unclear as to whether these lenses are completely newly designed although the 35/2 rather sounds as if it is because the info about this lens states " The newly designed and constructed lens"  which does not sound as if it referring to the existing (1997) lens.

Edited by pgk

The 11-bladed iris on the 35mm Summicron looks sweet, as do all of the updates. It does look, though, like they'll no longer be making the silver version out of that nice weighty brass.

This might come in the Hollywood edition later. Somehow Leica always find I way to let me wait.

Edited by Steve Ash
  • Like 1

Did they cut the back the lens on the pictures ?

It seems that the optical group of the 35/2 doesn't stick out of the mount anymore.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Chrome

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I am waiting for the threads that praise the rendering/contrast/bokeh of the "classic" 35 asph over the "harsh" new one.. :D It always happens that way.

Disclosure - it is, despite its age, my favourite 35 mm lens, which I prefer over the newest Summilux. Never had any issues with focus shift either. :)

I totally agree, the newer lens designs from Leica have a harsher more clinical look.  I much prefer the classic 35 asph to the new yet to be released 35.  :rolleyes:

Rick

• Like 1