Rumor - Three new Leica M lenses tomorrow?

Rick

Let's hope that the redesigned 28mm Summicron ASPH does away with the three nano-screws holding the entire front portion of the lens on. Not only are the screws on the current lens incredibly tiny, they're  also very short - they're like components from the interior of a fine watch. It seems amazing that the designers ever thought this to be a sturdy piece of engineering.

I only grumble because I became so fed-up carrying carrying a tiny screwdriver around with me and tightening the screws on my copy all the time, being super careful to only ever touch or hold the back of the lens when attaching or removing it, that I was almost relieved when I dropped the lens on a sandy beach in Sopol, Poland. It got sand in the threads and I couldn't get all of it out, and turning the focus ring, even a fraction, made a crunching sound.

So back it went to the mother ship in Solms. They made it sand-free, and they also sorted the tiny screws problem by filling in the three holes with some sort of cement. And for a very reasonable price. It's never given me a bit of trouble since. It's now an all-round wonderful lens. Huzzah!

Well although a hood redesign would be nice I'd not be impressed if the lens was indeed larger and an E49 as the rumour suggests.

I just checked my 35 and it looks like there's enough distance from the filter threads out to the inner edge of the aperture ring that you could make the metal a bit thicker and then cut the hood threads in it. But yes, I'd not trade "up" if that was the only change and it required E46 filters. Some kind of optical shazam is another matter but hell, I shoot Tri-X and Dbl-X; I don't need better lenses, I need better skills.

s-a

• Like 1

You mean E49 filters?

...and there would have to be a significant difference in it's optical performance to tempt me as I really like how the current lens renders images.

Actually, all my Leica equipment is better than my photographic skills can justify ;-)

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 3

Guest jvansmit

I'll never, ever, buy another frigging Leica lens:

- 28mm Summicon:  the plastic bit at the front of the lens fell out. Not a big deal but tacky given the price.

- 24mm Elmar:  bought just before Xmas; wouldn't focus on infinity. Schmidt in Hong Kong said they needed to send it back to Germany for a few weeks. Instead, I found a local technician who fixed it for free in a few minutes

- 21mm SEM: the aperture ring became so loose that I could almost blow it around.

This is a lens thread so I won't mention the rangefinder issue with a brand new M9, another issue with my 2nd M9, or Leica dishonouring the warranty on my Q.

Fuji beckons.....

Edited by jvansmit
  • Like 1

You mean E49 filters?

...and there would have to be a significant difference in it's optical performance to tempt me as I really like how the current lens renders images.

Actually, all my Leica equipment is better than my photographic skills can justify ;-)

No. I'm talking about the 35 'cron ASPH going from 39 to 46, to match the 21SEM and 50 'lux, etc. About skills, well, we both have a brand new year to change that a bit.

Thanks,

s-a

• Like 1

I'll never, ever, buy another frigging Leica lens:

- 28mm Summicon:  the plastic bit at the front of the lens fell out. Not a big deal but tacky given the price.

- 24mm Elmar:  bought just before Xmas; wouldn't focus on infinity. Schmidt in Hong Kong said they needed to send it back to Germany for a few weeks. Instead, I found a local technician who fixed it for free in a few minutes

- 21mm SEM: the aperture ring became so loose that I could almost blow it around.

This is a lens thread so I won't mention the rangefinder issue with a brand new M9, another issue with my 2nd M9, or Leica dishonouring the warranty on my Q.

Fuji beckons.....

Lenses have mechanical issues from time to time.  That is what service is for.  As for your M9, try the M240 it has solved the RF issues with a redesigned RF.

Rick

Yes, the 35 asph is a bit overdue for renewal.

But I'm not ditching my nice 12585 lens hood for a new, larger design ;) 

I am waiting for the threads that praise the rendering/contrast/bokeh of the "classic" 35 asph over the "harsh" new one..:D It always happens that way.

Disclosure - it is, despite its age, my favourite 35 mm lens, which I prefer over the newest Summilux. Never had any issues with focus shift either. :)

• Like 8