Many Q Images in Quba Article

I really don´t like it: "In many instances just bringing the camera near your eye can elicit a “don’t take my photo” comment. However, using the Q in the way described above might help one capture a moment"

When people don´t want it, you should respect it!!! even when you could use an iPhone trick like the author.....

Beautiful photos from Cuba. I'd love to visit there soon before it becomes more westernized. Thanks for sharing. The iPhone technique sounds interesting. I've concluded the app is why Leica chose to not allow just DNG files. They use the jpg files to view on the app.

• 6 months later...

I like the Q, how it was used and some of the photos but I think this type of photography is reflecting an other way of exploiting 3rd world people. And there is a lot of it (photographically) in Cuba i.e. poor people (and old cars) in colorful pictures.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the Q, how it was used and some of the photos but I think this type of photography is reflecting an other way of exploiting 3rd world people. And there is a lot of it (photographically) in Cuba i.e. poor people (and old cars) in colorful pictures.  

Sorry you feel that way. It is your opinion and that is fine.

The images were taken where the real people live and mainly not on the tourist routes. I had many hours of discussions with many Cuban people who on the whole wanted me to take their picture. I only live 100 miles from Cuba and was as curious about the people of Cuba as they were about where I live. My images of the US bridged a gap unknown to most of them who were glad for an American to walk their neighborhood, stop and actually take time to talk with them. I distictly remember one young man of about 20 years old who after many minutes told me he was upset by the cooking gas price increase and showed me his monthly bill which had just increased 12 cents per month and it gravely impacted his way of life. He had a simple bicycle for transport.  I didn't complain about anything for months after my visit. The people of Cuba are just marvelous and so full of life.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

Sorry you feel that way. It is your opinion and that is fine.

The images were taken where the real people live and mainly not on the tourist routes. I had many hours of discussions with many Cuban people who on the whole wanted me to take their picture. I only live 100 miles from Cuba and was as curious about the people of Cuba as they were about where I live. My images of the US bridged a gap unknown to most of them who were glad for an American to walk their neighborhood, stop and actually take time to talk with them. I distictly remember one young man of about 20 years old who after many minutes told me he was upset by the cooking gas price increase and showed me his monthly bill which had just increased 12 cents per month and it gravely impacted his way of life. He had a simple bicycle for transport.  I didn't complain about anything for months after my visit. The people of Cuba are just marvelous and so full of life.

I'm not sure what is even meant by the poster suggesting you were "exploiting 3d world people" with your photography!  What does that even mean?  

Photography can be just another form of art, or even a way to tell/memorialize a story or place in time.  A painting can do the same thing.

Just take your photographs and let them speak for themselves and let those who choose to enjoy them!

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2