Is anyone doing slide duplication using the S?

Arif

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well the APO Macro 120 will go down to a reproduction ration of 1:2 of course. I haven't got around to trying any close up subjects with it. I have one photographer acquaintance who uses the system for museum quality images of antique coins for example. It would be interesting to experiment if the right support setup and illumination source were available.

Indeed, not too useful for copying 35mm ;-) The 72mm ELPRO for the S 180mm fits the 120mm and gets a bit closer, not checked for distortion though...

john

• Like 2

Thank you all for the comments. I apologise for not being able to thank you earlier.  I am going to try a scanner over the weekend and maybe that will remind me that my film days technique was not as good as I last remember and that the high resolution S is not needed.

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate your kind advice.  If any of you are ever in Tokyo, I will buy you a beer.

Indeed, not too useful for copying 35mm ;-) The 72mm ELPRO for the S 180mm fits the 120mm and gets a bit closer, not checked for distortion though...

john

Just did a quick test against a ruler, ~95mm on the long side with the 120mm at closest focussing and ~85mm with the ELPRO - so not as useful as it is with the 180mm ;-)

john

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

here is a link to a method that I saw on the internet (with pictures) that got me thinking about doing this with my Leica S.....is this going to work with an S. I do not have access to youtube while at work so I can't watch a video about it

http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/scanning-negatives-with-your-digital-camera--photo-560

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I use this 'repro method' for 8x10, 4x5 and 120, and with these formats it is really much quicker, and even better in the end result.

What is 8x10 and 4x5 and 120??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Well the APO Macro 120 will go down to a reproduction ration of 1:2 of course. I haven't got around to trying any close up subjects with it. I have one photographer acquaintance who uses the system for museum quality images of antique coins for example. It would be interesting to experiment if the right support setup and illumination source were available.

Geoff

Thats my plan to try it with my 120 macro, I've got a good strong tripod with a boom so that I will be able to the the camera over the top of the film, I have go Leica flashes and Profit flashes to light the paper from below.

The only thing I don't have is a roll of exposed film..............but will have that in a few weeks time :) :)

Need to buy a small sheet of glass too

Edited by Neil D

What is 8x10 and 4x5 and 120??

This is shorthand for 8x10 inches and 4x5 inches sheet films, used on, respectively, 8x10 and 4x5 inches view cameras (those with bellows and moveable standards). In the UK they say 10x8 and 5x4, for reasons I don't know...

There are 5x7 inches cameras as well, and also smaller (6x9 cm) and larger ones (11x14, 16x20...)

Paul Strand, Edward Weston, August Sander, Lewis Hine, Harry Callahan, Walker Evans, all the great masters worked with these big, cumbersome, magnificent cameras.

120 means '120 roll film'. It's the one used in a Hasselblad (SLR), a Rolleiflex (TLR), a Mamiya, a Pentax 6x7, a Contax 645, a Linhof 6x17...

There is the 220 type as well, which is double in length.

Yes, please, do google it... You won't regret it...

Edited by Manolo Laguillo

john

A better option for doing film scans with the Leica S is indeed not the native 120/2.5 or 180mm with ELPRO but to adapt another system macro lens to the S which is better suited.

I found the very best option is the Carl Zeiss APO-Makro Planar 120/4 in Contax 645 mount.

It is an incredibly good lens (truly on par with the Leica 120/2.5 Macro S) but does natively focus down to 1:1 reproduction ratio without any gadgets.

It is an incredible Macro lens in its own right and can even be further brought closer with the Auto extension tubes available in the Contax 645 system.

With the Leica S C645 adapter full functionality of the lens and Auto extension tubes is available incl. Auto aperture, aperture control through the Leica body, full exif data, full metering functionality, focus confirmation (this is a manual focus lens by design), …

The great thing about this option is that although it punches in the exact same league as the Leica 120/2.5 quality wise a good copy of the lens + accessories + Leica S C645 adapter runs actually lower in cost as a Leica 120/2.5 S lens (but adding some functionality in exchange for missing AF, which is silly in many Macro situation anyway).

As a disclaimer: although I did reproduce film negatives (35mm and 120 film), I stopped doing this with a DSLR in favor of a dedicated scanner solution as of an overall better workflow and better quality for my needs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...