Convince me to buy a film M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Not posted on here for a while. 

I have a x2 Vario and a dlux109 and for black and white photography I am considering an M6.

Anyone else made the return to film? What benefits will I see?

Just need tipping over the edge to make a purchase  :D

My intention long term is to process my own film and scan the negs and print myself. Anyone else do this, if so I am open to suggestions with regard to the film scanner and printer for black and white purposes.

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

I have a M6 TTL, and a M246. If I'm traveling (which I do a lot), I take the M246, but for going out taking photo's, I seem to pick the M6 as 1st choice.

I'm currently outsourcing developing and scanning (waiting for my next relocation). I'll probably do both myself once I get a few other things sorted (I used to develop and wet print many years ago).

I like using the M6 - It slows me down, and makes me appreciate the moment.

You know that, if you don't do it, you're always going to wonder...

• Like 2

Please see Doc Henry's "I like film" thread (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/), all 474 pages of it.

That should be enough motivation to get you back into film.

Personally, I still really like digital but depending on my mood and/or potential subject matter I'm frequently out with my M7, R7, or Contax T3.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 5

after a decade of digital photos I've returned to B&W (R and M). Lot of fun, no time to spend in post processing, WONDERFUL results out of the box. When I return from a "photo-tour" I immediately develop the films, in less than two hours it's all in the scanner (Imacon/Hasselblad X1). What I choose is then printed on Hahnemuhlepaper with an Epson 4900. What I choose from what I've chosen, is then printed in the old way (enlarger and wet print).

It's unbelievable but the film-workflow is less time-consuming than digital-workflow (obviously it's me not the technology, I can't use Lightroom, Photoshop, SilverEfex...at the same speed as tank, tray and scanner).

I'm very happy now. Long life to Leica film cameras!!!

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

My intention long term is to process my own film and scan the negs and print myself. Anyone else do this, if so I am open to suggestions with regard to the film scanner and printer for black and white purposes.

Cheers

Graeme

I haven't returned to film, I've never stopped using it, and whilst I've been using digital more seriously in the last couple of years I am still mainly in the film camp. 

I process my own B&W and scan on an Epson flatbed which also takes my 120 film. I think I get perfectly acceptable scans for printing up to A3, although I'm assured I'd get even better results with a dedicated film scanner. 

C41 I take to the minilab and have it processed and scanned - the scans are lowish res, fine for web use but I re-scan for print. 

What benefits will you see? Well, it's a different medium, a different aesthetic. With an M6 you have a camera you can pick up at any moment and just use - no worrying about having a set of fully charged batteries before heading out! I think you'll find yourself taking a more considered approach to your photography as well, knowing you only have 36 frames before having to load a new roll of film. Then there's the discipline of working with the film you've loaded - no changing ISO for every frame or the option to have a colour image if you've loaded B&W! The fact you can use filters to achieve different effects (mainly with B&W film). Maybe none of this sounds like a benefit to you…..

Ultimately if you buy an M6 and decide it's not for you after all, you can sell it on for much the same money, or dip your toe at first by trying one of the many very inexpensive film cameras you can buy, to shoot a couple of rolls with and see how you get on. 

• Like 2

Today I bought a Leica film MP. It took me three Leica dealers to find one. I see more film blogs and film images being posted than last year.  If you return to film, you will not be alone but should have plenty of  company.

• Like 7

Hi All,

I have a x2 Vario and a dlux109 and for black and white photography I am considering an M6.

Cheers

Graeme

I've not returned to film as I've never left it.  But most of what I shoot, I shoot on digital with my M9P or my X-T1. 

You won't see any "benefits" in shooting film.  What you will see is a different medium.  It's no better or worse (both terms of relativism) just different.  I don't see much value in shooting negatives, unless you have a working darkroom that you can print in.  I occasionally scan some of my older negatives and have them inkjet printed but honestly,  if you're only going to digitize them you might as well shoot them in a native digital format.  The real value in shooting negative film is to hand print the negatives on silver gelatin or other kinds of papers in a chemical darkroom.    inkjet prints of scanned negatives look fine, and I have several sets I've scanned and printed for sale, but I still prefer the look of the original darkroom prints.

Shooting film doesn't impose any kind of self-discipline on you either.  You can burn through 36 exposures just as fast as you can click digital images if you want.  Your shooting style shouldn't be dependent on your medium or your gear; it comes from your own self-discipline.

So, if you want an M6, buy one...  they're awesome cameras that will serve you well for years.  It will make beautiful negatives.  It's all about whether you want to deal with negatives or files.  Just don't expect any "benefits" out of it.

• Like 2

I just got back from a vacation in Maui and shot only film (some examples of two B&W films are on my website). I grew up with film, developed and printed my own B&W photos in school, drifted into digital, and came back to film. I still have a digital camera, but I don't use it much. I also have an iPhone, which covers most of my digital photography needs. 

But what benefits does one get with film? It's more challenging for me, more enjoyable, and I really think the results are better. I don't want to select "auto" and fire away. What is the challenge in that? Not much for me. Black and white film is a beautiful medium, and I find that increasingly I prefer it to color. I plan to start developing and printing B&W again this year.

Good luck with your decision, but it seems to me you've already made it.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 2

I second AAK.  Take the jump.  Yes, it's a different medium -- but I find I prefer it greatly, especially in B&W.  And, personally, I wouldn't limit yourself to an M6. Part of the fun of film is learning to shoot without a meter. I find that, even when I use my M9 now, I prefer shooting manually.

Buy a cheap 35mm camera first and see if you like the look of what you get with film, the first thing is to educate the eye, not educate the wallet. I suggest an Olympus 35RC, it is a rangefinder and the lens is as good as you'd get with a Leica lens.

Steve

• Like 2

I did it too!  :)  I decided for an M4 because it is sturdy, beautiful design, and I like to have my Gossen Digisix in my pocket, just in case I need it. It's a bit cheaper too, which is wise if you're not certain how busy you'll be with film. 

My concern is more that I am not content with my Epson V700, very dust-prone way of scanning. In the forum here I understood that a PlusTek could be a good choice

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I use both digital (MM) and analog (M7): before moving from the M-E to the MM, for B&W my first choice was always the M7, now it is a battle. Apart the result, the entire analog process is much more relaxing.

However, I see that you are not coming from an M digital system: what is it your experience with a rangefinder camera? It is not difficult but either not easy for someone coming from digital/Evf camera. The results from using an M6 could be affected by the learning curve of the M system, so consider some time to get use of it. And if you buy an used M6, if you don't like it, you will resell it with a minor loss (if nothing).

Long life to film.

Cheers,

Massimo

Edited by MaDeVa
  • Like 2

I use both an M240 and an MP, as well as an Hasselblad 501cm which is a medium format film camera.
I really enjoy the flexibility of the M240, and the results are great. But I love using my MP more - especially for black and white.

My fridge is full of film, and my MP is being serviced. My M240 is in the shelf, and while I enjoy using it, I'm really looking forward to the MP coming home again so that I can use some of the film that's stashed away in my fridge...

Just get a good scanner. If you have a good scanner, you will enjoy film a lot more. Poor scanners or scanners that just don't work for you can make the experience a horrible one.

• Like 5

Just get a good scanner. If you have a good scanner, you will enjoy film a lot more. Poor scanners or scanners that just don't work for you can make the experience a horrible one.

So true. I only got my scanning workflow sorted relatively recently and it has made a huge difference.

• Like 4

what scanner is just good?

That doesn't exist :) They all have their quirks. But different scanners cater for different needs. And the costs vary a lot.

Getting a scanner that is a dust-trap for example, is a big no. There's nothing more annoying than trying to get dust off everything due to static charge, and then end up cleaning up lots of dust and lint in Photoshop. The Epson V800/V850 was a big headache in this regard due to the flimsy holders with un-removable acrylic inserts, which is one of the most statically charged materials you can find = not suited for scanners where dust and lint is a big no-no!

What convinced me was the difference between these two pictures I shot in the autumn of 2014 in Glasgow. Both with a 28mm Summicron ASPH and a B+W red filter. The top picture was shot on my M Monochrom mk1, the lower picture on my M2, loaded with Kodak Tri-X film.

The M Monochrome is an incredible camera, and it's as close to shooting black and white film as I've yet come across. It's also versatile since the ISO can be altered from frame to frame, and convenient, because the images are instantly available.

The M Monochrome is also very sharp. In the M Mono shot attached here, you can zoom in and count the ridges and veins on some of the leaves. With the film image from my M2, there is less detail, but a more beautiful veiling grain, especially in the sky.

Crucially that's the difference. I've made both of these images into prints, and everyone who has seen them, including me, instantly prefers the image shot on film. It just looks nicer. In the M Monochrom shot, the tree trunk has a kind of plastic look to it. 

Film requires more dedication than digital. But when you get a shot that you're happy with, you're always glad you shot it on film. It looks nicer, and you have a negative, a permanent record of the event, whereas with digital, you're always worrying that the file will become unreadable one day.

Anyway, hope this is of some help - best wishes, and good luck!

Colin Templeton

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

That doesn't exist :) They all have their quirks. But different scanners cater for different needs. And the costs vary a lot.

Getting a scanner that is a dust-trap for example, is a big no. There's nothing more annoying than trying to get dust off everything due to static charge, and then end up cleaning up lots of dust and lint in Photoshop. The Epson V800/V850 was a big headache in this regard due to the flimsy holders with un-removable acrylic inserts, which is one of the most statically charged materials you can find = not suited for scanners where dust and lint is a big no-no!

I just decided to go for Steve's advice, member 250swb, on this forum: Plustek8100. I own the Epson700 as said, and can always use it for MF if I will return to film that far, that would imply a Rolleiflex 3.5/75 Planar though, which is another journey. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 3