Does this resemble corrosion ?

bobbywise

Yes Robert, that's exactly what happened to my Monochrom earlier this year. Classic sensor deterioration. Leica replaced mine quite promptly, I sent it directly to Solms.

Having a MM / M9 sensor replaced now is better timing than in my case back in August, now they have the "new improved" sensor available for the replacement, I had the same origin model of sensor put into my camera, but they guarantee the work for the life of the camera so I am ok with that.

I'd contact Leica directly unless you have a cosy relationship with a Leica dealership.

Leica may also offer you a decent credit on your MM if you wish to upgrade to the M246, I chose not too. Having a M240 I find I prefer the size of the camera and the look of the CCD sensor on the MM 1, anyway having the M240 I didn't feel that it was worth spending the extra 3200 Euros or so to upgrade. The M240 itself does produce quite decent monochrome files in itself.

Good luck……..

Edited by Guest

Hello,

Those things at top left could be dust also.

Have you never seen them before ?

I suggest that you clean the sensor then take some landscape photos with sky to be sure, in same conditions.

Or go to a Leica-store to ask them.

Arnaud

Thanks Peter,

Yes, I prefer to keep the MM1.

I don't use it often at small apertures, so it's probably why I've never noticed it before.

Do you have the direct contact details for Solms ?

I contacted Leica support earlier in the year about bad pixel mapping on my M-9P, and they had Leica Paris email me to get into contact with them for that. Since I'm in Nantes, I prefer to deal directly with Solms if possible.

I know the "improved" sensor exists for the colo(u)r sensor, but not sure if that's made its way into the Monochrom sensor yet (if not, I might be tempted to wait).

With Well Wishes,

Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an MM.

I took a landscape image with a small aperture today, and there are lots of blotches in the top left of the image.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/robertwisbey/5P92w0

Does it resemble sensor corrosion ?

Oh no, that looks a lot like my sensor. I'm going to try and hold out for the new solution.

John

Edited by johnwolf

Even if there is some corrosion a lot of it still looks like dust, so the obvious first course of action would be to wet clean your sensor. This is a very simple job you can empower yourself with by doing it yourself or take it to a camera shop. Whatever is left (if the sensor has been cleaned thoroughly) could be corrosion.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Does this also look like corrosion? It's following a wet cleaning. A 1:1 grab from frame corner, f/16 shot of sky. It's not the only spot that looks like this, just the most obvious.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_10_at_11_03_55_AM.pn

Just reading the other thread about a 6 to 9 month wait for repair?! :(

Edited by cron-r