Leica M to Sony E adapter with autofocus

Paul J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The inevitable controversy this 'contraption' / 'invention' / 'loada rubbish' / 'delight' / 'answer to a prayer' will cause makes vey interesting reading. And the regular naysayers have not chipped in yet! 

At the end of the day … Nothing improves a product like a bit of competition.

There may well be something similar blowing in the wind for the SL ! 

dunk

That would be a welcome development IMHO.

• Like 1

While I'm sure there are many people who will be thrilled to own such a thing, and God bless 'em I hope they enjoy it and make wonderful images, in my somewhat grumpy old man view this is a solution in search of a problem :)

I am in 100% agreement. 

One of the most refreshing aspects of using an M camera is the absence of autofocus, which I have found to be useless in low light and low contrast situations.  I can focus an M much more quickly and accurately than any of my Nikon autofocus bodies could ever have hoped to.

There must be some politicians involved somewhere. 

"...a solution in search of a problem." 

There must be some politicians involved somewhere in the process...  :rolleyes:

Edited by Carlos Danger

It seems clear that a similar adapter could make many other MF lenses work in AF mode. How well remains to be seen but obviously AF is in high demand as virtually all recent cameras (other than the M and specialized tech cameras) have AF.  Lack of AF is one of the reasons for the departure of the R system and why many photographers replaced their old lenses with AF versions. There is nothing stopping you from still focusing manually when this adapter is in place just as is the case with AF lenses that can be focused manually. Every new Leica camera system introduced in the past 10 years has AF so I think Leica is sold on the concept too.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It does not sound too robust mechanically:

It is compatible with ALL M-mount lenses (Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss) (You don’t need to hold the lens if it’s under 300g, but you need to if it’s over 300g)

Not surprising, given that it has to move a whole lens instead of a few elements or just the optical cell like native autofocus systems. It appears to me to be better to use the AF lenses that come with the system.

The number of Leica lenses over 300 grams is considerable, I am not sure that this is viable this way.

Would be fun to see it shift a Noctilux back and forth in very low light with the photographer "holding" it (anyway, I'm not sure I understand how a lens can be held while at the same time being allowed to travel...). Interesting idea, though. Could the same result be achieved by developing a body where the sensor, rather than the lens, moves?

Would be fun to see it shift a Noctilux back and forth in very low light with the photographer "holding" it (anyway, I'm not sure I understand how a lens can be held while at the same time being allowed to travel...). Interesting idea, though. Could the same result be achieved by developing a body where the sensor, rather than the lens, moves?

You hold the lens, and let the adaptor move the camera. What is so difficult about this? :wacko:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Does it focus at the working aperture? Not a recipe for speed and accuracy. Or are you expected to focus first then stop down? Far too slow, a solution looking for a problem I think.

Gerry

Obviously it will focus at whatever aperture you have set. Why change anything? Seems quite accurate in demos.

FLE issue is also moot, you just ball park the range with the MF focus ring and fire away, getting most or all of the FLE effect.

I'm also a MF type of shooter, but I'm not blind. This thing on a Kolari A7II or better yet a A7RII, would be very useful for many shooters in a variety of situations.

Such a thing would be a huge selling point on the SL also. You don't hear many complaints about the Q's ability to AF.

Edited by uhoh7