Leica M to Sony E adapter with autofocus

Paul J

You could view this type of thing as the best of both worlds if you choose to, but it really looks to me like taking the best features of AF and MF, discarding them, and leaving yourself with the worst of both worlds.

Nice idea but I can barely imagine why I would ever prefer this to a proper AF or MF system.

• Like 9

The focusing device of the Voigtlander close focus adapter works fine with floating elements as well. Suffice it to preset the lens to its minimum focus distance and to rotate the focus ring of the adapter afterwards. I would do the same for closeups with the Techart and preset the lens to infinity otherwise. Just a guess...

More info on this adaptor from Sony rumors site.

Yes guys you are reading it right: Techart developed an M-mount to E-mount autofocus adapter! Just play the video above to see it at work. See it to believe it! As you see the adapter moves on the Z-axis to focus the image. Thechart is known for making the Contax G to E-mount autofocus adapter (here on eBay). But there is yet no info about when they will sell the new M-mount autofocus adapter.

All development details can be read at Xitek. Here are some info about the adapter translated by our reader Chan (Thanks!):

Since we started developing FE mount autofocus adapters a few years ago, we always hoped to develop something that allows autofocus for Leica M mount lens. We weighed a few options, and finally decided to use an autofocus system that is similar to Contax AX, meaning a change in flange focal distance. It’s now put it test, and it has pretty good results on the A7R2. The focus sound is soft, and the focus is fast and accurate. The compatibility is also good as well, as the 7 M-mount lens we have worked well with the camera. We would start producing some adapters and give it out for tests.

1. It works best with 
 and 
 (It should work with other E-mount cameras but we cannot guarantee the outcome)

2. It is compatible with ALL 
 (You don’t need to hold the lens if it’s under 300g, but you need to if it’s over 300g)

3. Manual aperture 

4. EXIF, use the app to save 10 sets into the adapter, it should note down the aperture and shutter speed

5. The adapter will move the lens for 4.5mm

6. Support AF-S and AF-C

7. It should have macro

8. If Contax CY-M and leica R-M adapters are used, CY and R-mount lens will have autofocus too

We will recruit members from the forum to test it. Stayed tuned.

Edited by mike_j
  • Like 2

The focusing device of the Voigtlander close focus adapter works fine with floating elements as well. Suffice it to preset the lens to its minimum focus distance and to rotate the focus ring of the adapter afterwards. I would do the same for closeups with the Techart and preset the lens to infinity otherwise. Just a guess...

What I was going to suggest almost.   guess the camera to subject distance and set it on the lens.  then let the adapter fine tune it.   It will be as accurate as your subject to camera guess and probably good enough.

While I'm sure there are many people who will be thrilled to own such a thing, and God bless 'em I hope they enjoy it and make wonderful images, in my somewhat grumpy old man view this is a solution in search of a problem :)

If you only own Leica cameras then you have nothing to worry about.

I am curious though if and how it would work and whether it would be cost effective.

The corner smearing issues for some WA M lenses on a Sony camera would still be there unless one replaced the sensor cover glass.

While I'm sure there are many people who will be thrilled to own such a thing, and God bless 'em I hope they enjoy it and make wonderful images, in my somewhat grumpy old man view this is a solution in search of a problem :)

A pertinent summary. I have rarely seen such an ugly and unwanted contraption. Heath Robinson would laugh at its futility.

• Like 1

Interesting responses. I think it's truly incredible and will be of great use to a lot of people. People like my wife who love the look of the lenses but are put off by manual focus, people who have trouble seeing, people with an old collection of various brand M Mount lenses, people that struggle with rangefinder or focus peaking for that matter, people who want accurate and assisted focus of fast lenses. Then there's just people that want an AF Noctilux, and people who are just amazed that it can be done and will be fun to own.

There is also no question in my mind what it will do to prices of used lenses too and it will give extra life to a system that deserves to be used.

• Like 5

The inevitable controversy this 'contraption' / 'invention' / 'loada rubbish' / 'delight' / 'answer to a prayer' will cause makes vey interesting reading. And the regular naysayers have not chipped in yet! 

At the end of the day … Nothing improves a product like a bit of competition.

There may well be something similar blowing in the wind for the SL ! 

dunk

• Like 2

o.k., Contax G is an easy to solve problem: Here only a connection from cameras "brain" to the small focussing bolt was necessary: moving the whole lans  of course has not to be done.

For those who don't know, have a look to the ebay item description larger picture, there You can see in 5oclock position the contax mount focus device screw.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Techart-TA-GA3-Auto-Focus-AF-Contax-G-mount-lens-to-Sony-E-adapter-A7-A7R-NEX-5T-/401031660296?hash=item5d5f598308:g:LR8AAOxy38tTlqhu

Leica M is an other case: Here the whole lens has to be moved.

Transmitted force to the motor in the adapter is much stronger.

Thomas

Edited by duckrider