New Kodak Super8

TomB_tx

Is it April already?

I can see the merit of working on 70 mm film, some theatres even project the analogue way. But Super8? It was doubtful quality even when there was nothing better around, except larger formats. Any modern videocam should be able to outperform even present-day emulsions.

I cannot see how this could sell, but who knows, maybe they are on to something.

• Like 2

I wonder why an analog film camera needs USB and Firewire ports. Maybe the ability to record time codes on the magnetic track alongside the sound?

Or just for USB/FW microphones? Does have two 2-3mm jacks on the back as well (headphones plus another mike?)

Hmm ..... on further review, also has SD card slot, and in some versions a flip-out viewing screen. Must have a beam-splitter with the capability to simultaneously/alternatively shoot digital video (daily rushes?) as well?

Not aimed at hobbyists and consumer use (although I'm sure they will be able to get them): "....an initiative aimed at putting Super 8 cameras into the hands of a new generation of filmmakers as well as meeting the needs of top directors, indie filmmakers and others who appreciate the art and craft of filmmaking."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wouldn't professionals wanting to use film go for the quality of a larger format - or, if small size gear is required stick to digital?

Super 8 was always an amateur format. Even my student film club used 16 mm.

Well, I suppose Kodak knows their own target market best.

With the massive publicity doing the rounds that the new Star Wars film is shot on film I can imagine a big audience for this camera. It won't only be nostalgic amateurs but a whole raft of new users, and amongst those I think the camera will be a big hit in film schools around the world, an ideal tool to develop planning skills and shooting discipline.

Steve

• Like 1

Wouldn't pro still photographers only go for the quality of medium format film or larger? ;)

But I expect the real issue is, Hollywood needs a farm team. They need new blood coming in all the time that is reasonably familiar with, and technically competent using/shooting/handling, film.

And if one is doing student work to train for that farm team, one needs gear and materials a student can afford - for dozens of "unpaid" college class projects. Gotta start somewhere.

I haven't a clue how dental students acquire experience - but in photo/cine school, you shoot as much film as a pro, with zero clients paying the bills. So they can't "train on" 70mm or 35mm - not unless daddy is a millionaire.

When I was doing my photo degrees in college, the film-production students in the next classroom/studio were burning through a couple of hundred feet of film a week (each). For 4 years (and yes, they eventually moved up to 16mm before they were done).

Edited by adan

Hi Jaap,

I'll go there to watch this film at Paris  :)

Gaumont Champs Elysées Marignan

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2016/hateful_8/index.htm

Happy New Year to you and your family

Best

Henry

The same to yours :) Yes, Pathé Rotterdam is showing the film version as well. They had to borrow the projector from the Film Museum...

Everything will be back to film, you'll see B)

Aren't some companies producing a tape which will replace cds? Or anyways it's been projected, and it'll be on the market in the next future.

Edited by lleo
  • Like 1

adan, on 07 Jan 2016 - 09:22, said:adan, on 07 Jan 2016 - 09:22, said:

Wouldn't pro still photographers only go for the quality of medium format film or larger? ;)

But I expect the real issue is, Hollywood needs a farm team. They need new blood coming in all the time that is reasonably familiar with, and technically competent using/shooting/handling, film.

And if one is doing student work to train for that farm team, one needs gear and materials a student can afford - for dozens of "unpaid" college class projects. Gotta start somewhere.

I haven't a clue how dental students acquire experience - but in photo/cine school, you shoot as much film as a pro, with zero clients paying the bills. So they can't "train on" 70mm or 35mm - not unless daddy is a millionaire.

When I was doing my photo degrees in college, the film-production students in the next classroom/studio were burning through a couple of hundred feet of film a week (each). For 4 years (and yes, they eventually moved up to 16mm before they were done).

Probably the economics work differently in your educational system, over here the schools are state-subsidized and the cost of shooting materials would be a relatively minor aspect compared to bureaucratic overheads (the same in health services I fear :().

However, would this system: shoot (admittedly) film, send it in and download the result from the Cloud to work on digitally be sufficiently educational?  After all, the closest the student would come to handling film would be loading and unloading the cassette.

As a film - as in the medium - enthusiast I think it's fantastic to see Kodak releasing a product like this. Anything that increases film use (and production) has to be a good thing, and it's nice to be talking about Kodak in terms of new products again!

I've had another thought about potential for this - the amount of vloggers and You Tube 'producers' out there is huge and here's a way for some to differentiate themselves.

• Like 1

I've read that the cost of 50ft of film developed and scanned will be in the $50-75 area which does't sound bad at all (assuming it also includes the film itself). How that translates to UK pricing (assuming that the service is available internationally) remains to be seen. The cameras (presumably made in China and not built to Leicina quality) are reported to have a target price of around $750. Interesting and welcome development from Kodak.

• Like 2

It is all vapor. So far only prototypes have been shown.

But it gets worse. After sending in the film the images are digitized and made available via download. Is anyone going to invest in film editing (splicing, cement, viewers...) so that they can actually use the film, or are they going to settle for the digitized media which, I believe will be entirely unsatisfactory to a film maven?

...and it is expensive. In the end it is more expensive for film editors than buying a vintage 16mm camera and eliminating the digitization unless it becomes popular in which case it might pay for itself.

Another big f*uck-up by Kodak. It is likely thtat the announcement is just a kite being flown by Charlie Brown.

Edited by pico

It is all vapor. So far only prototypes have been shown.

But it gets worse. After sending in the film the images are digitized and made available via download. Is anyone going to invest in film editing (splicing, cement, viewers...) so that they can actually use the film, or are they going to settle for the digitized media which, I believe will be entirely unsatisfactory to a film maven?

...and it is expensive. In the end it is more expensive for film editors than buying a vintage 16mm camera and eliminating the digitization unless it becomes popular in which case it might pay for itself.

Another big f*uck-up by Kodak. Let us hope the announcement is just a kite being flown by Charlie Brown.

Before the usual piling-in of shrill, dramatic negativity, how about checking the service - you get the film back and can choose to also have it digitized.

• Like 2