Monochrom CCD replacement sensor vs swap

Hayek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is quite a backlog because the revised Monochrom sensor is just now (as of January) being received by the Leica service organizations.  Since my body still performs properly in spite of the corrosion -  I chose to reserve a spot in the queue and send my Monochrom in when my turn comes up.  I suspect it will be out of my hands no more than three weeks.  

Last Tuesday I received my Monochrom back from having the new sensor fitted.  The service was fantastic, as promised it was back in my hands two weeks after the camera was collected.  However, this is the bad bit...  I've un-boxed it but I haven't had a chance to use it yet!  We are in the process of selling and moving house so that has taken all of my free time.  I will try and make some time this weekend to get some pictures.

Sorry for being so slow!!!

Edited by Wyck
  • Like 4

Hi Virgil, sad to hear your mono has issues. Hope you will get it back soon. The Q is nice. Tried it briefly. On the other hand it's worth the waiting. For me the Q is a compromise. Not bad but not a Mono ;-)

cheers Dario

Sent mine last week Leica NJ...est time April 6th
Hmmm...maybe time to buy the Q while I wait...

Yesterday morning I had a spare hour so I took my Monochrom out (new sensor / coating).  I'm really struggling for time at the moment.  Anyway here is an image with 50mm Summilux and B+W 022 yellow filter, f8.

Should also say the file is out of camera, I just imported it into Lightroom 6 and then exported. 

Before anyone says anything.... Yes I am new to forums!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Wyck

Ok thanks Jaap, Will do in the future.

I've just had another chance to look at the images I took the other day and I don't think they are as flat out of camera than before the sensor swap.

My Monochrom now has Firmware version 1.010.  Before it was sent off it had the original firmware from 2012, for some reason I couldn't update the firmware, neither could Leica Mayfair.  At that point I gave up as the sensor was showing signs of corrosion.  I'm just wondering if Leica have made changes to the firmware in line with the new sensor / coating.

Whilst my Monochrom was waiting it's replacement sensor I started to use my M-A a lot more, I was being very careful with my exposures.  Perhaps this has helped with my Monochrom images and nothing has changed with the camera, it may just be me.

Has anyone else had their Monochrom replaced with the new generation sensor? 

Thanks Wyck for your posting.

for it looks as your image has horizontal lines.

would you mind to post or link a dng file.

this is meant to others waiting for changes as wel. I am pretty curious to see the performance of the new sensor.

my MM seems to perform pretty well and I hope I can keep it as long as possible.

thanks

Dario mentions above my image shows horizontal lines.  Initially I couldn't see these lines, but then I could viewing on my MB Pro (2012 Retina).  I then plugged my MB Pro into my Eizo CG247 and couldn't see the lines.  I then couldn't see the lines on my MB later on today.  Can anyone else see the lines?

I suspect my MB screen may be getting a little tired!

I have uploaded a DNG file on my public dropbox, the file can be downloaded here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64805570/20160212-L1001182.DNG

Thanks

Edited by Wyck

I think I may have worked out what the problem is.... Or I should say my wife has! 

I just showed my wife the lines on the image and she said immediately I know what that is...  The image is almost transparent and she could see the word "Search" very faintly in the clouds.  Somehow my Firefox tabs are showing through the image.  I am using Lightroom 6 and viewing the image full screen.

Very strange.

Thanks for posting your experience with the sensor swap, Wyck!

I dropped off my MM this Saturday at Leica Mayfair. Initially they didn't have a date for the replacement to happen, but after sending my details to Germany they said they had MM sensors avalable and we should send the camera as soon as possible. So i'm hoping they can keep the promised 3-4weeks turnaround. Let's see how that goes :)

Definitely looking forward to having my camera back, this time with non-delaminating glass ;)

My MM1 left for Wetzlar today. I'll report on turnaround times. 

Following up on this, I just got a notification from UPS that my Monochrom is on its way back from Wetzlar. ETA 29/2, so that's 13 days all in to turn it around. Pretty good work on this one Leica.

On the funny side, my M240 that went out for calibration under warranty on 26/1 isn't back yet. Not so fussed now that my other camera is back in a couple of days, but it shows that they're processing MM1s separately from the normal repairs.

Edited by BBHewee
  • Like 2

Kurt, I think they started replacing in late jan...I sent mine in then and was told April 6...Leica NJ

Me too. I rang Leica NJ in mid-Jan and was told that they *finally* had replacement sensors for the Monochrom. Sent it in through my dealer, and have been told April/May. Kurt, you might give them a call and find out where you are in the sequence.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...