Frozen films

octo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What are the likely consequences of a 4 days breakdown of our freezer where I stored packs of films: Kodak, from 100 to 3200 ASA? They've been defrosted and frozen again when the freezer was fixed.

Thanks for your input & experience.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Must be a first for this forum :D

Thank you all. Did I see a consensus? :)

I have order lots of frozen film over the years, including film that is long since expired (C41, bw and E6), and delivery has often been several days. But so far I haven't experienced any problems as a result of this (or if there have been any they've been hidden by my exposure and other photographic skills...).

• Like 1

I doubt if the brief thaw did any harm, but if the 3200 speed film is TMax 3200, you might shoot/develop a roll of it and see if it's fogged. That film hasn't been produced in some time, and when it was in production started to fog not too long after the expiry date on the box. Due to its sensitivity, it is affected by cosmic radiation. Refrigerating or freezing it won't stop that. I have about a dozen rolls left, all a year past their sell-by date, and they're starting to build up a thick base fog when developed. Kodak used to store raw P3200 stock in a salt cavern deep enough to filter the radiation.

• Like 1

'Kodak used to store raw P3200 stock in a salt cavern deep enough to filter the radiation.'

Right, I am heading for the nearest deep salt cavern: what works for the T3200 should work for me too?

Joking apart, I recently used a vintage November 2008 roll, and you are quite right: it came out quite grey. One advice I got was to add to the development time.         

• 2 weeks later...