Canon Program Pro 1000 17" Printer: Initial Impressions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Canon Pro 1000 users are now in luck; IP 10 now supports this machine. 

Jeff

Would you happen to know if there are any plans to extend IP 10 support to other Canon wide format dye inkjet printers, like my Canon Pro 100?  Or is it only possible due to some changes in the technology of the Pro 1000?  Thanks for this info in any case.

Would you happen to know if there are any plans to extend IP 10 support to other Canon wide format dye inkjet printers, like my Canon Pro 100?  Or is it only possible due to some changes in the technology of the Pro 1000?  Thanks for this info in any case.

No idea, but I know who would know, and they are friendly and responsive, email or phone...   https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/Ver10/customer_service.shtml

Jeff

• Like 1

Here is the answer I got from John Pannozzo at ColorByte Software as to whether ImagePrint 10 might be made available for any of the other Canon Pro printers besides the 1000:

"We made an agreement with Canon to support their latest line of printers based on the changes they had made that we needed.  We will not be supporting any of the previous 17” printers because they were considered consumer level devices by Canon and they were not open to developers.  The PRO 1000 was the first model we were able to develop for."

Well, now you have a good excuse for a new printer....Canon or Epson.

Jeff

Based on my experience with the Epson P800 for about 15 months and using IP 10 for close on 6 months, I would unreservedly reccomend the P800 with IP 10. I found John Pannozzo very helpful. Also Jeff S was equally helpful. The only minor problem I had was getting my head round the cost of IP10. Once you start to use it I am pretty sure you will be pleased with it. I would expect the Cannon / IP 10 to give impressive results also.

BrianP

Edited by Guest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I definitely have the excuse, but unfortunately not the cash!  Or maybe time to try to sell more outdated camera & stereo stuff.

That would be a no-brainer for me.....especially unused camera gear, if the goal in the first place is to produce beautiful prints.

Photography, like life, often involves priorities.  Most of the incremental improvements in my print results over the years (apart from my own skills and techniques), both darkroom and digital, have come from changes in the back end of the workflow, not through a different camera or lens (once my gear was adequate).  As Brian wrote, ImagePrint has been one of those worthy workflow enhancements, along with the P800.

If and when you decide purchase a new printer, be sure to search carefully for both manufacturer rebates and dealer discounts.  These are frequent, as companies ultimately make money on the inks.  My P800 purchase, for example, included $350 in savings.....and ultimately a tax deduction for donating my old but still usable Epson 3800 to a local school photography program.

Edit....there is a $300 Epson rebate on the P800 through October.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 1 year later...

Hi Jack

I just re-read this thread today as I have decided in favour of the Canon. Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on using this printer now that you've had it a while. I take it the replacement unit you received worked well? I have seen some users complain about the maintenance cartridge filling up quickly, including large 'dumps' of ink after a period of non-use. Have you experienced this? Any lessons learned in using the printer you could share?

Best

Philip

UPDATE: Panorama size.

In early July 2016, Canon issued a firmware update for this printer.  It now permits longer paper:  Specifically,

"The maximum printable height of custom paper size will be lengthened to 25.5-inch (647.70mm) with specifying in the printer driver."

Not sure why they needed to set a limit:  I assume that Canon figured longer paper was not needed because the width would exceed the 17" limit.   Hahnemuhle makes some specially cut panorama paper that I am looking forward to testing.

I have not tested the firmware yet.