Canon Program Pro 1000 17" Printer: Initial Impressions

In the US I'd suggest you call the folks at Chromix, who are experts in color management and very familiar with all the quirks of Mac operating systems.  Is there a company in your area that specializes in color management, i.e.,  one known to make custom profiles for your specific printer?  If so, they should be familiar with the settings you would need to generate a color chart for them....with color management turned off....even if you don't actually purchase their service (worse case, you spend a bit and buy a profile).  And they would know how to select your paper type.  They also might be able to access your screen and walk you through it.

Or you might send a PM to the OP of this thread, as he uses the Canon.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

This reminds me of the confusion you get with a wifi enabled Epson printer - the driver options are very much reduced if you print to the Epson by air-print. Does installing the Canon driver give you more than one printer? 

• Like 1

This reminds me of the confusion you get with a wifi enabled Epson printer - the driver options are very much reduced if you print to the Epson by air-print. Does installing the Canon driver give you more than one printer? 

Thank you for this information. I'll be trying to install the driver via USB cable tonight. So far I've only installed them via WLAN connection.

What do you mean by "Does installing the Canon driver give you more than one printer?"

In the US I'd suggest you call the folks at Chromix, who are experts in color management and very familiar with all the quirks of Mac operating systems.  Is there a company in your area that specializes in color management, i.e.,  one known to make custom profiles for your specific printer?  If so, they should be familiar with the settings you would need to generate a color chart for them....with color management turned off....even if you don't actually purchase their service (worse case, you spend a bit and buy a profile).  And they would know how to select your paper type.  They also might be able to access your screen and walk you through it.

Or you might send a PM to the OP of this thread, as he uses the Canon.

Jeff

I don't know if it is necessary to contact experts in color management. First, I want to try to get in contact with Canon again (despite them being rather not of help so far).

Thank you for this information. I'll be trying to install the driver via USB cable tonight. So far I've only installed them via WLAN connection.

What do you mean by "Does installing the Canon driver give you more than one printer?"

In the Epson case when you install the driver you get two printers to choose from when you want to make a print - one uses Apple air-print (connected via wifi), the other uses a conventional driver (which can be connected via USB or wifi). The air-print driven printer has much simplified settings dialogues, like the one you showed. I wonder if there is another Canon printer in the drop-down menu item "printer". Either way, this dialogue is controlled by the installed driver, nothing to do with Lightroom.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the Epson case when you install the driver you get two printers to choose from when you want to make a print - one uses Apple air-print (connected via wifi), the other uses a conventional driver (which can be connected via USB or wifi). The air-print driven printer has much simplified settings dialogues, like the one you showed. I wonder if there is another Canon printer in the drop-down menu item "printer". Either way, this dialogue is controlled by the installed driver, nothing to do with Lightroom.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that the printer driver -and not LR- controlls the printer settings.

I'm pretty sure I can install the same printer again but this time with a different connection (USB instead of wifi). I'm in the office now so I will try it tonight and report back.

I don't know if it is necessary to contact experts in color management. First, I want to try to get in contact with Canon again (despite them being rather not of help so far).

Maybe not for this experience, which Canon should have been able to address in the first place. I think Exodies may be on to the fix.  In addition, you'll of course want to be sure that you're installing the latest print driver, which often needs updating despite recent purchase.

But I can tell you that situations arise with Apple and/or print manufacturers that make life confusing, like when some recent Apple O/S iterations would not allow you to turn off color management, while making you think that you really had turned it off.  It drove people nuts on various forums.  I conferenced with Chromix and had them install a quick workaround.

This is why I love ImagePrint (sorry, not for Canon), which takes over all setting controls....perfect every time, with no user effort or chance of error or confusion.  Plus great custom profiles for every paper.

Jeff

I have installed the driver again but this time via USB - and voila, it is working.

Seems to be pretty much the same as with the Epson printer you mention. Using wifi the printer settings are stripped down so that I can only choose a few options whereas the USB connection provides much more detailed printer settings. 

And if the USB connection is active, the Canon software Print Studio Pro works. 

Thank you so much!!! For now my problems are resolved but I'm pretty sure I'll come back to this thread to ask further questions.

Your help is much appreciated, guys!

• Like 1

With Epson, you can disable AirPrint and select the proper driver under Preferences, while still using wifi.  Don't know if you could have done similar.

Here's a tale similar to yours, with solution...  http://www.macworld.com/article/2684309/the-trick-to-finding-the-right-printer-driver-for-your-mac.html

Congrats on getting up and running.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

With Epson, you can disable AirPrint and select the proper driver under Preferences, while still using wifi.  Don't know if you could have done similar.

Here's a tale similar to yours, with solution...  http://www.macworld.com/article/2684309/the-trick-to-finding-the-right-printer-driver-for-your-mac.html

Congrats on getting up and running.

Jeff

Wow, Jeff, this is pure magic. Your link was very, very helpful. I just installed the driver the way explained in the article and I can now print via wifi with all the printer-specific settings available. This is awesome!!

• Like 2

And thanks to Exodies for reminding me of the issue.  

Sometimes the forum works for more than giggles and camera bags.

Jeff

Plus 1 

Some very smart people on this forum who are very generous with their knowledge. Jeff was a great help to me a couple of months ago when I looked at Image Print 1O and subsequently bought,for my Epson P 800.

BrianP

How does the exchange of the print head work?

I am using an Epson (a modest R1900) which clogged up earlier and required considerable cleaning using special 3rd-party cartridges and fluids which I had to order.

I am seriously considering the Epson P600 (I don't need wider than that and would like the larger tanks), however I have no loyalty to any particular brand so being able to replace the print head in an easy and cost-effective manner would be of interest to me as someone who prints sporadically.

Which is the Canon current equivalent of the P600? I've seen three models, Pro 1, Pro 10 and Pro 100. 

How does the exchange of the print head work?

I am using an Epson (a modest R1900) which clogged up earlier and required considerable cleaning using special 3rd-party cartridges and fluids which I had to order.

I am seriously considering the Epson P600 (I don't need wider than that and would like the larger tanks), however I have no loyalty to any particular brand so being able to replace the print head in an easy and cost-effective manner would be of interest to me as someone who prints sporadically.

Which is the Canon current equivalent of the P600? I've seen three models, Pro 1, Pro 10 and Pro 100. 

I can't tell you how to exchange the print head but the online manual is easy to find and public to everybody.

As far as I know there is no Canon equivalent to the P600. If you think about the P600 also consider the P800 even if you don't need the print size as the refill cartridges of the P800 are relatively cheaper.  

UPDATE: Panorama size.

In early July 2016, Canon issued a firmware update for this printer.  It now permits longer paper:  Specifically,

"The maximum printable height of custom paper size will be lengthened to 25.5-inch (647.70mm) with specifying in the printer driver."

Not sure why they needed to set a limit:  I assume that Canon figured longer paper was not needed because the width would exceed the 17" limit.   Hahnemuhle makes some specially cut panorama paper that I am looking forward to testing.

I have not tested the firmware yet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is why I love ImagePrint (sorry, not for Canon), which takes over all setting controls....perfect every time, with no user effort or chance of error or confusion.  Plus great custom profiles for every paper.

Canon Pro 1000 users are now in luck; IP 10 now supports this machine. 

Jeff