Using the M9p in cold weather

Thump660

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As an eager M9p-shooter, I always carry my camera with me.

But now as the winter have arrived in Scandinavia it's getting cold...a problem occurs...

What are the best way of avoiding the lens and viewfinder to fog up when used in the cold?

I tend to keep holding my breath and use gloves, but it still fogs up. especially the viewfinder. And sometimes it can be hard holding my breath to prevent the lens fogging up, for instance after hiking/climbing up a steep hill in deep snow... :unsure:

Have anyone any good ideas?

Common wisdom dictates that you carry your camera under your coat when trekking in the cold.  It'll help keep your battery warm, and eliminate fogging of the lenses, filters, keep the lubricants pliable, and preserve battery life.  It's also done with film cameras to keep the grease pliable.  Film cameras that live in cold climates exclusively should be "winterized" using dry lubricants.

• Like 1

If the "under the coat" is insufficient,   I would use a ski mask or something to cover your nose & mouth.   

Be wary of too many hot cold cycles as condensation can form when cold camera is placed in warn environment.  Keep cold exposure to a minimum.  

I used to put the whole camera bag in the car luggage area before heading home.   The wrap the whole bag in a nice quilt for 8 hours.   Pull the cards first as they warm fast and I know you will want to see the pics.

Do not forget condensation is hard on the M9 sensor and all others to a lessor degree.

Edited by tobey bilek
  • Like 1

Common wisdom dictates that you carry your camera under your coat when trekking in the cold.  It'll help keep your battery warm, and eliminate fogging of the lenses, filters, keep the lubricants pliable, and preserve battery life.  It's also done with film cameras to keep the grease pliable.  Film cameras that live in cold climates exclusively should be "winterized" using dry lubricants.

Thanks,

I've tried this approach previously, but with temperatures below -20C the lens and viewfinder fogs up, and it takes too long time to clear this.

Battery life is no problem as I always carry two spare batteries in a pocket close to my chest.

If the "under the coat" is insufficient,   I would use a ski mask or something to cover your nose & mouth.   

Be wary of too many hot cold cycles as condensation can form when cold camera is placed in warn environment.  Keep cold exposure to a minimum.  

I used to put the whole camera bag in the car luggage area before heading home.   The wrap the whole bag in a nice quilt for 8 hours.   Pull the cards first as they warm fast and I know you will want to see the pics.

Do not forget condensation is hard on the M9 sensor and all others to a lessor degree.

Thanks for the input. A mask I think might work :ph34r:  :)

When I come home, I usually put the camera in a airtight plastic bag that doesn't touch the camera or lens for a few hours. Condensations then sticks at the bag, and the camera is dry. A way I've used for many years on other sensitive electronics.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's a thread you might find entertaining:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/137911-operating-temperature-for-m9/

Although it can be extended with proper precautions, Leica specifies on p. 176 of the manual that the operating temperature range for the M9 is 0 to 40*C.  (Operating conditions 0 to +40°C.) 

Condensation is always a problem for cameras brought from a cold environment to a warm one; and interior condensation is particularly hard on the electronics.   If you spend a LOT of time shooting in the outdoors, and this continues to be a problem, you might consider getting a film body and having it overhauled with dry lubricants.  I'm not sure that any digital camera would do well for extended periods of -20*C temps regardless of brand or type.

• 2 months later...

I leave one M9, one Super Ikonta 6x9, and a Hasselblad with two lenses in the vehicle all winter. Problems non-existent.

Oh, and the M9 battery charger on a full-time 12V circuit. (Had to defeat a relay to do that.)

Edited by pico