50mm f2.0 APO Summicron M + SL ??

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually I find that the size of lens matching the camera body should not be in the top priorities in choosing a Lens or Camera.

The most important is whether the lens/camera performance is what u are looking for :)

For assignments, yes, a fast AF is crucial. I see the oversized 'perfected optics' for tasks where fast AF is indispensable or studio work/landscapes with tripods. Frankly, at that size factor and price, I'd rather go for the new Hasselblad or Fujifilm MF offerings. Size does matter and I'm not returning to DSLR bloat. Perfectly happy with M or M on SL.

Edited by james.liam

Simply said overkill - my technique is not so perfect that a simpler lens would not do

The main advantage of the 50APO is that it produces a clean image, aberration free, with an undistracting background. The fact that the resolution, wide open, is better than most other 50mm at their optimum aperture is a bonus. Taking pictures st night is much easier with this lens than with its faster brethren.

• Like 2

I'd take the APO over the Summilux every time.

Can you give your reason for this? Don't worry I seek not to criticise I am interested to know. I bought the Summilux 1:1.4 and so far been very happy with it. How much better do you think the APO is. I see it is a lot more costly than the Summilux too.

Edited by Guest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can you give your reason for this? Don't worry I seek not to criticise I am interested to know. I bought the Summilux 1:1.4 and so far been very happy with it. How much better do you think the APO is. I see it is a lot more costly than the Summilux too.

I would't say 'better'. Different.

The Summilux adds its specific signature to images, at least to ƒ/4 or so whereas the APO seems to add none at all; it's almost disorienting or disappointing at first. Habit has me looking for it on Summilux and Noctilux images reflexively and this expectation is unrequited on 50 APO images. Takes re-orienting your mind as to what is to be expected. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The SL 50 is clearly less expensive than the Apo50 - why is it different in your country ?

Anyway the SL 50 has all the advantages, but only one drawback which is the big size. Why is this so important for you ? You have the SL 24-90 - I did not buy it, I found it too big. The SL 50 is smaller and lighter. Why is this suddenly a problem for you ?

I think you are not consistent.

But I also prefer the smaller lenses. And currently I like manual focusing, so I use an ordinary R 50 (I find the Summicron-R 50 is ideal for the SL, and light and quite inexpensive though this is not a reason for me, as I have it since 1990). But the 50mm is a special story in Leica gear - and I do not regard the Apo50 as a milestone, but rather a piece for the showroom.

So if you need AF, I would buy the SL 50. If manual is ok, use a R lens. For a different style try a Trioplan 50 - it is a macro lens, manual, and with a special bokeh (and is now available with SL mount). For a garden and flower enthusiast, or a portrait lover the trioplans are great lenses (there is also a 2.8/100).

My 50mm is often on the camera - most keepers are however made with my M 28 or my R 100. So don't overrate the 50mm.

I've just ordered a SL. I really like 28mm. I currently have the older Summicron-M 28mm. I understand it is not so good on the SL, especially the corners. What would be the advantages of upgrading to the new 28mm Summicron-M versus the 28mm Summilux-M ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What would be the advantages of upgrading to the new 28mm Summicron-M versus the 28mm Summilux-M ?

Money, size. 

I'm hopelessly biased and still think the 24-90 is the best bet ...... ok, it's bigger and more expensive ...... but you get 5 M lenses in one ....... image stabilisation, AF and prime lens comparable performance

I can't see some folks logic of buying a bigger camera and then try and compensate by sticking small lenses on it ...... if that was an issue then a Sony A7 would be more appropriate. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

The 28mm Summilux is the most used lens on my SL. It fits perfectly sizewise.

Optically it is better on the SL than on the M. It is also better than the new 28mm Summicron (check www.reidreviews.com).

I find the bokeh of the 28mm Lux very pleasing (nicer than my 35mm FLE).

However, personally I have not tried the new 28mm Summicron.

Edited by anickpick

I can't see some folks logic of buying a bigger camera and then try and compensate by sticking small lenses on it ...... if that was an issue then a Sony A7 would be more appropriate. 

While I find the 24-90 to be an outstanding lens, I do feel it is really heavy and makes the SL quite a task to hold for any length of time. A bulky body and a small M lens is actually a really nice combination as far as balance and grip is concerned.

• Like 2

While I find the 24-90 to be an outstanding lens, I do feel it is really heavy and makes the SL quite a task to hold for any length of time. A bulky body and a small M lens is actually a really nice combination as far as balance and grip is concerned.

Hi BerndReini!

Thanks for your sharing! I feel that M Apo 50 mm is the small, light and IQ excellent lens for me!

I will get the M Apo 50 for my gear SL 601 & SL 24-90 ASPH!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

Edited by phongph
  • Like 1

The 28mm Summilux is the most used lens on my SL. It fits perfectly sizewise.

Optically it is better on the SL than on the M. It is also better than the new 28mm Summicron (check www.reidreviews.com).

I find the bokeh of the 28mm Lux very pleasing (nicer than my 35mm FLE).

However, personally I have not tried the new 28mm Summicron.

Thank you for your reply. I've red great things about the 28mm lux and will likely go in that direction. The 24-90 sounds great but I prefer a more compact package.

I've just ordered a SL. I really like 28mm. I currently have the older Summicron-M 28mm. I understand it is not so good on the SL, especially the corners. What would be the advantages of upgrading to the new 28mm Summicron-M versus the 28mm Summilux-M ?

According to Reid Reviews, both Summicron-M 28mm are great lenses. (The older a tiny amount better on the M in the corners at infinity, the newer an equally tiny amount better on the SL.)

According to Mr. Karbe all three M 28 asph. are equal/excellent and only the widest aperture you need will decide your choice. Will a lens change make a difference ? Only a tiny one, if at all.    ;)

Make a few test fotos - and see if you can point at the differences.

According to Reid Reviews, both Summicron-M 28mm are great lenses. (The older a tiny amount better on the M in the corners at infinity [...]

Welcome to the forum :). You mean Elmarit i guess. Just curious.

Edited by lct

I don't read much reviews anymore but i have both versions of the 28/2 and there is no doubt that the current one has a better corner rendition. The difference is not huge but it is my only reason to prefer it besides the built-in hood IMHO.

According to Reid Reviews, both Summicron-M 28mm are great lenses. (The older a tiny amount better on the M in the corners at infinity, the newer an equally tiny amount better on the SL.)

According to Mr. Karbe all three M 28 asph. are equal/excellent and only the widest aperture you need will decide your choice. Will a lens change make a difference ? Only a tiny one, if at all. ;)

Make a few test fotos - and see if you can point at the differences.

I reread the Reid Review articles concerning the 28mm lenses. In his Nov 5, 2015 article, "Leica SL and M-240: 28mm Rangefinder Lenses,

Sean Reid found superiority of the 28mm Summilux-M over the Summicron in the corners. He theorized that larger M lenses behaved more like SLR lenses with the light coming straighter out of the lens, and in more compact M lenses the light exits the rear of the lens at more of an angle resulting in vignetting and loss of definition in the corners. My SL just arrived and I'll try out the 28 mm Summicron before I decide to sell the Summicron and buy the Summilux.