50mm f2.0 APO Summicron M + SL ??

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can you focus an M wide-angle lens stopped down on the SL reliably in a short time?

It depends on the focal length of the lens and the distance to the subject.  For example, with a 21mm lens stopped down to f/8 and a subject distance of, say, 6 ft there is virtually no way to tell through the viewfinder whether you have accurately set the focus to six feet or eight feet or four feet.  There is quite simply too much depth of field available.  

Now try a 35mm lens with a subject distance of one meter and, yes, there is no problem setting the focus correctly with the magnified view in the viewfinder.

Based on my experience with the SL, if I can't tell through the magnified view whether I have achieved critical focus, then there is enough depth of field that it doesn't matter.  I have lots of shots taken with the WATE, for example, where I was happier approximating focus using the scale on the lens rather than trying to actually focus through the viewfinder.  I have other shots with my 35mm where achieving critical focus was important, and that is most easily accomplished by magnifying the view with the touch of a button.

There are certainly situations--specific focal lengths and subject distances--where a rangefinder will be faster than the EVF in the SL.  I can't think of any circumstances where I simply can't get focus right on the SL, but it is not always faster than a rangefinder.  However, if I need focus speed I'm probably choosing the 24-90 rather than one of the M lenses anyway.  On balance, I find focusing with the SL is an improvement on rangefinder focusing, but it is not universally true.  If I only used the 28mm to 35mm focal lengths, I think I would probably prefer the rangefinder experience.  Above 50mm there is no question that the SL is an improvement on the M in terms of focus speed and accuracy for me.  Below 28mm I am happier with the SL because it is a more elegant solution--more accurate framing and no external viewfinder required.

- Jared

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 50 APO Summicron and the SL is the combination that lives on the camera most of the time.  I just love the results and trying to keep the SL as compact (don't laugh) as possible.  When I have the 50 APO on the M246 with grip and EFV, the package is about the same size and close to the same weight at the SL/50 APO set up.  The advantage for the SL is having such a fantastic EVF and better high ISO results.

• Like 3

Actually I find that the size of lens matching the camera body should not be in the top priorities in choosing a Lens or Camera.

The most important is whether the lens/camera performance is what u are looking for :)

No problems in this regard either with the SL and 50Ao combination.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The SL 50 is clearly less expensive than the Apo50 - why is it different in your country ?

Anyway the SL 50 has all the advantages, but only one drawback which is the big size. Why is this so important for you ? You have the SL 24-90 - I did not buy it, I found it too big. The SL 50 is smaller and lighter. Why is this suddenly a problem for you ?

I think you are not consistent.

But I also prefer the smaller lenses. And currently I like manual focusing, so I use an ordinary R 50 (I find the Summicron-R 50 is ideal for the SL, and light and quite inexpensive though this is not a reason for me, as I have it since 1990). But the 50mm is a special story in Leica gear - and I do not regard the Apo50 as a milestone, but rather a piece for the showroom.

So if you need AF, I would buy the SL 50. If manual is ok, use a R lens. For a different style try a Trioplan 50 - it is a macro lens, manual, and with a special bokeh (and is now available with SL mount). For a garden and flower enthusiast, or a portrait lover the trioplans are great lenses (there is also a 2.8/100). 

My 50mm is often on the camera - most keepers are however made with my M 28 or my R 100. So don't overrate the 50mm.

• Like 1

This is not necessary - there are tons and tons of descriptions and photos and anecdotes.

Simply said overkill - my technique is not so perfect that a simpler lens would not do. (in artistic talk: throw pearls before swine).    :D

But the topic is really, why should the SL50 be worse than the Apo50. (If money is available).

After reading the introductory text (from Karbe) a gentleman from UK even said that the SL50 is in his eyes a bargain compared to the Apo50. Who among us here would doubt the words of Karbe ?

Have a look at the report of D. Farkas from Photokina. You can see the SL50 . It fits the SL nicely and is comparable to Art and Otus lenses in size - so "state of the art" (which are btw also an overkill for me).

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/09/photokina-2016-day-1-checking-out-the-50mm-summilux-sl-asph-and-multifunction-handgrip/

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

I have tested my Apo-Summicron-M 50mm on a SL, but only a few minutes. Results are as good as on the M240, at high ISO even much better. It just looks ridiculous on the SL because it is so tiny. And I did not like the handling. I also found it nearly impossible to focus correctly without magnification. But that's me. The SL convinces me with the AF-zoom-lens, M-lenses work better with a rangefinder camera.

Or this. You can decide what's more ridiculous:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

After reading the introductory text (from Karbe) a gentleman from UK even said that the SL50 is in his eyes a bargain compared to the Apo50. Who among us here would doubt the words of Karbe ?

I would expect a few price hikes of 20% or more once the reputation of the SL50 is well established...

I guess that is what you get when you press she shutter half way down. My problem was that the EVF was dark before I pressed the shutter half way. When pressing the shutter, the EVF lightened up.

Almost certainly, what's happened here is that someone has used the exposure compensation function and then the camera has been set to manual for you to use, without the EC being reset to zero. In this case (manual mode on the camera) the exposure compensation function will brighten or darken the viewfinder without any effect on the final exposure. With the EC set to a negative value the VF would have looked dark initially and then could have adjusted brighter depending on your settings.

For many owners of the SL this, along with the fact there's no manual VF brightness adjustment, is the biggest failing of the current firmware.

Gordon

Or this. You can decide what's more ridiculous:

It looks Otus sized. So if it does actually have that level of performance then it's probably the size it needs to be.

If I don't like the size there's always a bunch of Canikon lenses I can adapt, with AF, using a Novoflex adaptor.

Gordon

The 50 Apo on the Sl is absolute magic . IMHO the size is perfect ,focusing is easy especially with the movable focus spot and the results excellent . Attached are a few photos .f048b87b250f06eaca9b5b1e77e430e5.jpg166622bfaf69753a12bbae2be15675c2.jpge4c9d02ddb7f92971c89674790ddd99a.jpg5a4237325cc44b374177f5a14b2658d6.jpga56610ae406fc61210e34c6e9750fcae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi!

They are very nice and impressed images!

Thanks for your sharing!

Have a nice weekend!