50mm f2.0 APO Summicron M + SL ??

digitalfx

Its an expression Jeff.

as in...someone saying that the M240 is a beast compared to the M9 is crazy talk.

Yes, I know the expression....just didn't know what in particular you considered crazy....my comment or the comments from others.

You can certainly add your opinion to the many others in various early threads that started when the M240 arrived.  I agree with your assessment (having owned both the M8.2 and M240.....almost identical in size), but many here disagreed and felt the M became fat and awkward to hold.....hence my comment above.  

A quick search and you'll see what I mean....it was a heated topic for quite a while.  And, as I said, some of the same folks who complained now love the SL....and describe it as essentially about the same size as the M.

GAS does funny things...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I do recall that now...still crazy talk :)

The SL body, although physically not actually much bigger does feel much larger due to the extended EFV eyepiece and the grip (its boxy shape doesn't help)...but the real difference is the weight. My first reaction when I received the SL was WOW, it feels very impressive and exudes quality. But the more I use it the heavier it gets. I have been using the SL nearly exclusively since it arrived, and it wasn't until I switched back to my Monochrome last week that I realized how compact and light the M bodies actually are. I can't wait to see what Leica comes up with for the next M. Hopefully it will gain the speed of the SL. 

• Like 1

You can follow a subject with manual focus and shoot 11fps. It is pretty much what you do when shooting video anyway. I would welcome being able to shoot a fast sequence. If they integrate the EVF function (on a separate finder or the rear screen), the speed and processor into the next M, we will have a very mature M camera. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That is what I tried to say. You cannot be sure that focus is correct on the SL, if you use your lens stopped down. It is very easy to focus a noctilux wide open on the SL. It is rather difficult to focus a 50mm lens stopped down with the electronic viewfinder, and it is nearly impossible to focus a wide angle lens unless you activate magnification. I think the handling with the original af-zoom is just perfect. I'd wait for the Summilux-SL 50mm. I guess it will render as good as the Apo-Summicron-M 50, but with an extra stop. And it will be very comfortable to use because of autofocus.

I also encountered the above difficulties......

I mounted my 35 Lux FLE onto an SL.  With the aperature wide open, it was difficult to focus, so had to use the magnification button (lower button next to playback display) which is easy to access. Focussing WO then became easy.

However with the aperature at 5.6, the image was too dark to focus.

After a playful 30 mins with the SL....... despite having an extremely high image quality EVF,  

I found there are some moments of viewfinder freezing that prevents one from seeing what is going on in a changing scene,

I was relieved to get back to the OVF in my M240.

[...] I mounted my 35 Lux FLE onto an SL.  With the aperature wide open, it was difficult to focus, so had to use the magnification button (lower button next to playback display) which is easy to access. Focussing WO then became easy.

However with the aperature at 5.6, the image was too dark to focus. [...]

Are you sure? Image shouldn't be dark in an EVF. I can focus this very lens at all apertures with my A7s. Image is noisy and jerky at f/16 though.

Edited by lct

Are you sure? Image shouldn't be dark in an EVF. I can focus this very lens at all apertures with my A7s. Image is noisy and jerky at f/16 though.

I was testing my M 35mm Lux FLE on the SL with an M-adapter,  "indoors"  at a Leica Boutique.

I recall the camera was set to a low ISO, and when the aperature was set to f/5.6,  the EVF image was too dark to allow "me" to focus, even after I selected the magnification assist.

After the dealer had a look, he then wound the ISO up really high, which permitted a brighter image in the EVF that allowed focussing.

At all other times, when my 35mm M lens was wide open, focussing was spot-on only if I used the magnify-assist.

For all those who have or remember manual focussing on a Digilux-2,  which automatically pops open a center rectangle of the magified view, for focus assist.   This would be a great feature on the SL.

Edited by dugby

I also encountered the above difficulties......

I mounted my 35 Lux FLE onto an SL.  With the aperature wide open, it was difficult to focus, so had to use the magnification button (lower button next to playback display) which is easy to access. Focussing WO then became easy.

However with the aperature at 5.6, the image was too dark to focus.

After a playful 30 mins with the SL....... despite having an extremely high image quality EVF,  

I found there are some moments of viewfinder freezing that prevents one from seeing what is going on in a changing scene,

I was relieved to get back to the OVF in my M240.

I shoot with both the 50mm and 35mm M lenses (for that matter I have Noctilux, Summilux and Summicron APO) and have ZERO issues focusing on the SL and have never had an issue with a dark EVF. The EVF by default is very bright, it only darkens when half pressing the shutter.  You were doing something wrong when testing the SL.

• Like 1

The electronic viewfinder of the SL is superb, the best there is currently in any camera. There must have been a setup issue (brightness setting?) and any kind of lag or blackout is only for the duration of the exposure so practically non-existent. The SL must have been set to give you a preview of the underexposed image you were going to get at the low ISO setting and high aperture. You can set the thumb button to engage focus assist, which gives you much more control compared to the annoying auto-engage in other cameras that will ruin your framing if you touch the focusing ring simultaneously. I found it incredibly convenient, but it may take more than half an hour in the store to set the camera up for your preferences.

Edited by BerndReini

I also had problems with dark EVF in the Easter. I was shooting with the SL and the R-Summilux 80 in a winter landscape, aperture varied from 2.0 to 8.0. The viewfinder went dark sporadically, I thought it had something to do with the snow confusing the EVF, but maybe it's a more general problem?

• Like 1

There is an "Exposure Simulation" setting that you may want to try.

I am assuming that this mode was engaged and the camera showed a preview of an underexposed image. The settings in the SL take a minute to fully customize, but it is a breeze compared to something like a Sony or an Olympus, and once you have it setup, it is a very reliable machine.

I guess that is what you get when you press she shutter half way down. My problem was that the EVF was dark before I pressed the shutter half way. When pressing the shutter, the EVF lightened up.

There is an "Exposure Simulation" setting that you may want to try.

• Like 1