50mm f2.0 APO Summicron M + SL ??

digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would someone who owns both an SL and a 50 APO mind posting a few pictures of the combination? I am trying to get a sense of what people mean when they say it looks/feels odd to have the small lens on the SL.

(I would like an SL for the organic use of a telephoto, not the M-240 kludge, but I can't see myself investing in a new 50 prime.  Therefore, I'd love to know whether having the 50 APO on the SL is a viable kit for some everyday situations.)

Many thanks. 

I just received the 50 APO and I don't understand why some feels its odd or too small. The pair are perfectly suited for each other. The SL is not all that bigger than the M240, so its really no different than using the same lenses on the M240

• Like 1

The prices on the 50mm APO have dropped dramatically...I just couldn't resist, now I have three 50mm M lens...Is it time for an intervention?

??  A new one is currently still over $7000 in the US, about the same place it started out, before subsequent price increases.

Jeff

??  A new one is currently still over $7000 in the US, about the same place it started out, before subsequent price increases.

Jeff

Google is your friend.

Mint/Like new examples are selling on FM around 5k.

Brand new examples sold for $6000 recently, and are currently selling for $6750

I paid $5100 for a like new example in original box

SL + 50 APO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks so much. If someone could post a "mug shot" of the 50 APO on the SL -- from the front, and a profile -- I'd really appreciate it. The images posted indicate the SL is a fantastic camera.  And I can envision instances where traveling with the SL and Monochrom could be a great combo.  But it would help to see what one looks like with a standard M lens, not the ginormous zoom depicted in product marketing shots. Many thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Google is your friend.

Mint/Like new examples are selling on FM around 5k.

Brand new examples sold for $6000 recently, and are currently selling for $6750

I paid $5100 for a like new example in original box

I said 'new' prices.....I don't need Google to find the obvious, i.e., that as a product ages, used/demo samples appear.  That's hardly equivalent to stating that lens prices have dropped dramatically.   And I did check new prices at several reputable dealers before posting....still about $7000 for each, having come down from over $8000.  There are always bargains to be found with enough search and resourcefulness....even when products are new....I've done it....without Google.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Thanks so much. If someone could post a "mug shot" of the 50 APO on the SL -- from the front, and a profile -- I'd really appreciate it. The images posted indicate the SL is a fantastic camera.  And I can envision instances where traveling with the SL and Monochrom could be a great combo.  But it would help to see what one looks like with a standard M lens, not the ginormous zoom depicted in product marketing shots. Many thanks in advance. 

Here you go.

• Like 3

I said 'new' prices.....I don't need Google to find the obvious, i.e., that as a product ages, used/demo samples appear.  That's hardly equivalent to stating that lens prices have dropped dramatically.   And I did check new prices at several reputable dealers before posting....still about $7000 for each, having come down from over $8000.  There are always bargains to be found with enough search and resourcefulness....even when products are new....I've done it....without Google.

Jeff

Well you quoted me and I never said "new" prices.

Although the lens was selling "NEW" for $6000 about a month ago...the same "dealer" is selling them today for $6750 NEW.

Maybe you have a different opinion of "dramatic" but to me a new product is discounted from 8k to 6k- a 25% discount,  it is a dramatic price change.

For me it was worth an even additional $1700 saving to get a used one that is indistinguishable from new. Thats about 40% less, again pretty dramatic.

The point is that Leica lens prices are not what they used to be. Just a few years ago, they were never discounted (and in some cases sold for more than retail) and you could sell them used for nearly what you paid for them new (thanks to the annual price increases). Those days are clearly over.

Edited by digitalfx

Indeed, Used Leica M gear has dropped significantly in price over the last few years. I think it's mainly the improved availability--buyers who wish to buy new are no longer forced to wait months (or even a year or more) for their desired lens to become available, so now the used market is loosening up a bit. As far as the new prices coming down... I'm pretty sure that's a reflection of the relatively strong USD over the past year.

Glad you were able to pick up a 50 APO at what you feel is a reasonable price. I did the same recently.

- Jared

"quite a bit bigger"?

I would say slightly bigger

Semantics. It is a slippery slope if you consider the discussions on this forum about mow much bigger the M240 is compared to the M9. I'm not saying that it is unjustified or problematic, but I have several small camera bags for my M cameras from A&A, Dome etc. and I slide in my M cameras sideways with the lens painting to one side. For the SL, I would have to switch to a larger bag.

Obviously the combo is still much smaller than the new 50mm lux Leica will is making for the SL.

Semantics. It is a slippery slope if you consider the discussions on this forum about mow much bigger the M240 is compared to the M9. I'm not saying that it is unjustified or problematic, but I have several small camera bags for my M cameras from A&A, Dome etc. and I slide in my M cameras sideways with the lens painting to one side. For the SL, I would have to switch to a larger bag.

Obviously the combo is still much smaller than the new 50mm lux Leica will is making for the SL.

Yes semantics.

Funny but after using the SL for the past few months exclusively...I picked up my Monochrome this weekend to shoot and was shocked at how small it was :)

The SL with SUMMILUX 35 FLE : Same size and the 50mm is most heavier

This combo is very nice in hand (35 et 50)

It is very easy to accurate

I have several small camera bags for my M cameras from A&A, Dome etc. and I slide in my M cameras sideways with the lens painting to one side.

For the SL, I would have to switch to a larger bag.

Yes, I had to do that for the same lenses combo I use on the M.

It is not only the bump of the viewfinder but also the big rubber ring at the back of it.

here are a couple shots with the original Monochrome for comparison. The M lenses are nicely matched with the SL.

SL + 50mm APO

MM + 50mm Summilux

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

I find it very amusing, given these pics, that some here who now embrace the SL, and view it as roughly the same size or not much bigger than the M, are among the ones who thought the M was a beast compared to the M9 (actually only 1mm difference and a heavier battery).  

Gotta love forums...

Jeff

• Like 2

I find it very amusing, given these pics, that some here who now embrace the SL, and view it as roughly the same size or not much bigger than the M, are among the ones who thought the M was a beast compared to the M9 (actually only 1mm difference and a heavier battery).  

Gotta love forums...

Jeff

The M a beast compared to the M9?? They are roughly the same size.