Which flash?

JonP

I have the SF-24D and while it is small, light, and performs well on the digital Ms - the head does not tilt or rotate.  This means the flash cannot be bounced, so one is restricted to direct flash only.  I've experimented with numerous ways of getting the SF-24D to bounce, but none were completely satisfactory. The SF-26 is small and will tilt, but not swivel.  The newly announced SF-40 (tilts and swivels) is probably the best small flash choice if bounced flash is needed, but it and the SF-26 appear to offer flash exposure automation in  TTL mode only.  I find that Auto Mode produces better exposures if bright backgrounds or light sources are in the frame.  So I bite the bullet and use the SF-58.  It is large, heavy, and makes my M-240's handling awkward, but produces results I appreciate.  I use the Leica M Grip for better handling. 

Edited by Luke_Miller

I've just bought a 240 and want a small flash for it, nothing too bulky as it needs to be very portable. Would people recommend the SF-24D?

NO!

You canot bounce the flash with the SF 24D. I would also suggest the SF 40 as Stephen has suggest. Small, light with (I guess) about a stop more light output than the SF 24. Or you could bight the bullet and go for the SF 58. I use one and it fits into an inside suit pocket. It will give you about 2 stops or more flash than the SF 24.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I need to take a look at the 40 and the 58, thought lightweight portability is high on my list 

cheers

The SF58 is very unwieldy on the M. The SF40 is a clone of the Nissan i40 (with Leica M TTL protocols). I have used an i40 (for another system) in manual mode on the M and it balances very well. It is very powerful considering its size. That's the only flash I would consider for the M. I have an SF24, 26 and 58. None is ideal on the M.

Gordon

• Like 2

I have the 58 and the 24.  24 is great for travel and with my Nikon extension cord for bounce and off camera.  Nothing beats the 58 for work horse and versatility.  Why not buy both and only buy once.  Half-way solutions are always regretted and are usually costly in the end.

Rick

If you are going to get the SF58, try to get one with v1.2 firmware instead of the older v1.1. Difference is minor and does not affect everyone, but nonetheless there. You can search the forum for threads discussing the issues to get an idea. I have SF58 v1.1 and it suits me quite well.

Why not consider off-camera flash which would enable you to retain your current flash? Search the forum for a recent thread on this subject. It could be wireless for modest outlay yet still retain small size.

When I got my M8.2 I wanted a small and lightweight flash that supported Leica TTL flash metering.  I picked up a used SF-24D which worked well, but I quickly became disenchanted with direct flash.  So I explored ways to bounce the SF-24D.  Unfortunately every approach I tried, save one, either reduced the quality of the light, or added significant bulk/weight to the camera.  The one approach that worked rather well was the one Sean Reid uses and describes on his site.  He attaches the flash to a sync cord and handholds it.  Camera in right hand - flash in left.  That allows the flash to be pointed in any direction one wishes.  A wrist strap attached to the tripod socket at the flash end of the sync cord allows the flash to dangle from the wrist while one focuses.  I found this setup worked best for me with a grip on the body.  For TTL flash this worked nicely, but does not work for Auto mode since the flash sensor must be kept pointed as the subject.

Edited by Luke_Miller

When I got my M8.2 I wanted a small and lightweight flash that supported Leica TTL flash metering.  I picked up a used SF-24D which worked well, but I quickly became disenchanted with direct flash.  So I explored ways to bounce the SF-24D.  Unfortunately every approach I tried, save one, either reduced the quality of the light, or added significant bulk/weight to the camera.  The one approach that worked rather well was the one Sean Reid uses and describes on his site.  He attaches the flash to a sync cord and handholds it.  Camera in right hand - flash in left.  That allows the flash to be pointed in any direction one wishes.  A wrist strap attached to the tripod socket at the flash end of the sync cord allows the flash to dangle from the wrist while one focuses.  I found this setup worked best for me with a grip on the body.  For TTL flash this worked nicely, but does not work for Auto mode since the flash sensor must be kept pointed as the subject.

Luke:

For the SF58, what sync cord do you use for off-camera TTL? Also, have you been able to do off-camera TTL wirelessly? Thanks.

I will experiment with holding the camera with one hand, I'm not sure I want to add a grip to the body as it's just more weight/bulk if I don't really need it.

I dislike the extra weight/bulk as well.  Unfortunately I have short stubby fingers and the grip really helps me maintain control of the body, particularly one handed.  Depending on how I am holding the flash I can support the body with my left forearm.

I think that TTL is overrated for flashes. A thyristor Autoflash can give excellent results. There are many dozens of smallish old flashes on the market. If you go for an SCA 3000 (or even SCA 300) Metz flash, you can hardly go wrong. SCA 3502 adapters will ensure full compatibility with M240 (except, of course, M-TTL), an SCA 300 flash can work with either with SCA 350, 351 or 343.

And you will be saving a considerable  amount of money... ;)

Actually, I use an old 32 CT 7 flash which is not only an excellent flash, but is a perfect styling match for an M camera. Still probably a bit too bulky for your requirements.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Luke:

For the SF58, what sync cord do you use for off-camera TTL? Also, have you been able to do off-camera TTL wirelessly? Thanks.

I use my Nikon SC-17 and SC-28 sync cords.  They generally work with the Leica flashes, but the flash shoe contacts are not positioned identically to those of a Nikon flash even though they look pretty much the same.  I my experience as long as one is not swiveling or tilting the SF-58 flash head a lot TTL works fine.   With extended swiveling and tilting during bounced flash use a problem can occur.  Since the Nikon shoe is not as snug as that of the camera body the SF-58 foot can shift slightly over time in the Nikon cord flash shoe and communication with the body is interrupted.  Not everyone seems to experience this so your mileage may vary.

I'm not aware of a wireless Leica TTL solution.  

• Like 1

I think that TTL is overrated for flashes. A thyristor Autoflash can give excellent results.

I agree completely as long as we are referring to Leica digital M series bodies and that is my primary flash mode.  I also shoot Nikons and Nikon TTL is a very different animal.

• Like 1