Australian Cityscapes - Open Thread

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Geoff. I had problems with a few unruly distractions at the edge of the frame.

I preferred the shadows of the trees in this photo to another I have in 1:1 format.  I'll post it when I'm back in Sydney.

Up in Noosa at the moment waiting for the storm to clear so I can get out with the camera (and add to the Landscapes thread).

Regards,

Mark

Mark I meant move the figure in post production. Photoshop is your friend. Of course I 'm not meaning to critique your composition skills ;-)

• Like 1

Mark I meant move the figure in post production. Photoshop is your friend. Of course I 'm not meaning to critique your composition skills ;-)

Oh, I thought you meant initial positioning of the figures within the frame and subsequent cropping, or the position of the horizon (which annoys me most about this photo).  I was somewhat compromised with respect to all of these factors as alluded to above and particularly because I wanted to catch the unusual shadows of the trees.  Didn't think of PS for the figures but I don't mind them centred.

I'm always interested in constructive compositional/technical critique, please critique as you wish.

Perhaps we should do more feedback here on our photos as everyone on this thread is supportive and helpful. 

Noosa Beach, QLD

Monochrom v1, 2.0/50 APO-Summicron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 5

Oh, I thought you meant initial positioning of the figures within the frame and subsequent cropping, or the position of the horizon (which annoys me most about this photo).  I was somewhat compromised with respect to all of these factors as alluded to above and particularly because I wanted to catch the unusual shadows of the trees.  Didn't think of PS for the figures but I don't mind them centred.

I'm always interested in constructive compositional/technical critique, please critique as you wish.

Perhaps we should do more feedback here on our photos as everyone on this thread is supportive and helpful. 

Mark, yes of course I understand your composition decisions there. In this instance I was just thinking of an option if playing with your finished image there. Not to be taken too seriously.

I agree with you on how enthusiastic and positive the members are in these threads. Certainly I think more constructive critique and feedback would be welcomed too. 

• Like 1

SAMRI

M8 SA Medical Research Institute

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perth

M240 and 90 M Rokkor

8 seconds, f11 @200 ISO with polariser

• Like 8

Perth Skyline (Old bad scan from film)

wow, the city has changed so much since this was taken....

pretty sure that grass has been replaced by "Elizabeth Quay" the new waterfront area that officially opened yesterday.

you can see it in the centre of the pic i posted two posts up - the double arches in front of and to the right of the gold coloured building

Edited by Echo63

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country....

The Seafarer's Bridge, Melbourne

MM + Voigtlander 15/4.5 V2

Regards

Hardy

• Like 7

Staying with the Melbourne theme.

Infinity Rings

MM v1 + Voigtlander 15/4.5 v2

• Like 5

On page 3, @Stuny posted a scan of an old  film photo of perth showing the city skyline, and green parkland.

I am pretty sure that for the last 3 years that parkland has been dug up and transformed into "Elizabeth Quay" 

5x vertical frame stitched panorama - M240 and Olympus 28mm f2.8 on OM-M adapter.

• Like 8

On page 3, @Stuny posted a scan of an old  film photo of perth showing the city skyline, and green parkland.

I am pretty sure that for the last 3 years that parkland has been dug up and transformed into "Elizabeth Quay" 

5x vertical frame stitched panorama - M240 and Olympus 28mm f2.8 on OM-M adapter.

attachicon.gifBEN26954-Edit.jpg

Thanks for this Echo63. I lived across from this in South Perth back in the nineties and used to take both the Mends and Coode Street ferries across the river to Barrack Street. I barely recognise the shoreline. I thought it may have been Langley Park in Stuart's photo but you are right, that is further to the east.

What a transformation. Perth continues to evolve.

Regards

Hardy

Thanks for this Echo63. I lived across from this in South Perth back in the nineties and used to take both the Mends and Coode Street ferries across the river to Barrack Street. I barely recognise the shoreline. I thought it may have been Langley Park in Stuart's photo but you are right, that is further to the east.

What a transformation. Perth continues to evolve.

Regards

Hardy

I thought it was langley park at first too - but there is no supreme court gardens in it.

Also, the big blue building on the right is "Exchange Plaza" and the limestone colourd building in front of it is still there too.

I am fairly certain it was taken on the western side of barrack st.

Perth is evolving quite rapidly, the new Arena is a great venue for concerts and sport (basketball, tennis, netball etc) and the old entertainment centre area is filling rapidly with new buildings.

Dingy back alleys are filling with cool little bars.

Even northbridge has been cleaned up a little

Edited by Echo63
  • Like 1

Main Foyer, Melbourne Exhibition and Convention Centre

MM v1 + Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5

Regards

Hardy

• Like 6