SL and HSS flash?

profus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HSS with the SL and pocketwizards is possible. Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrCsruSlBs I have got this to work with the SL and profoto B1's and D1's

Thx. Great news for me as I have a couple of Plus IIIs! Have you tried off camera HSS on SF58 with SL?

I found the following writeout on hacking Pocketwizard Plus III for manual High Speed Sync Flash triggering applications (https://captureintegration.com/definitive-guide-to-medium-format-high-speed-sync/) applicable for us Leica users:

Pocketwizard Plus III

How to achieve 1/1600th of a second using Pocketwizard Plus III radio triggers (or the newer, USB MultiMAXes.)

The Pocketwizard Plus III radio triggers have the unique ability to sync at a surprising 1/1600th of a second with leaf shutters, even though they are only rated at 1/500th of a second. This is through a special mode called FAST mode.

This is accomplished by setting the Pocketwizard connected to your flash unit to HSR and setting the channel to any number above 17. Then, you will turn off any groupings (A, B, C, or D.) The display on the Pocketwizard Receiver will display an “F”. This indicates the flash is ready for high speed sync. Remember, FAST mode is different from HSR, so make sure you have the F displayed! On compatible MultiMAXes, this is done by hitting the Menu button, then A:Advanced Menu, then D:Fast mode. Or, something a little easier, just hit A, A, D, and you’re done! You can use both MultiMAXes and Plus IIIs as receivers for this functionality together.

Fast mode effectively shortens the processing time between the receiver hearing the incoming signal, and sending a “fire!” signal through the sync port. This is a change to the radio’s microprocessor routines, and strips data like Zones out (which is why you disable A, B, C, and D on the receiver.) This feature is not available on Plus IIs, PlusXs, FlexTT5s, PowerMC2s, PowerST4s, or older MultiMAXes.

The only requirements for the transmitter are to be in TX only, set to the same channel as the receiver, and at least one grouping (A, B, C, or D) to be activated.

This could be considered a hack for the Pocketwizard Plus IIIs, and as such, is not perfect. Shooting in one stop increments from 1/125th to 1/1600th will reveal imperfect steps of exposure: meaning going from 1/800th to 1/1600th may provide a ¼ stop loss in exposure when in theory there should be no such loss. This is usually due to a longer flash duration, and may be sidestepped by using a faster flash duration through a different flash head, different flash pack, or by adjusting your power level. Different flash manufacturers change their flash durations at different power levels. Elinchrom, for example, seems to have shorter flash durations at higher power levels, while other setups have longer flash durations at higher power. You may want to reference the manufacturer’s specs or support for more information.

While not perfect, the ability to sync at such high shutter speeds with such an affordable product is an asset, and a great piece of knowledge to keep in your back pocket as a photographer or digital tech.

Pocketwizard FlexTT5s and MiniTT1s are designed primarily for use with Canon or Nikon cameras and their proprietary flash units in TTL mode, and also to perpetuate the Canon and Nikon flash’s HSS mode of pulsing the light above Nikon/Canon camera’s X-sync speeds. Using leaf shutters with standard power systems such as Profoto and Broncolor, these radio triggers are mostly rendered obsolete, as these flash manufacturers do not currently make equipment compatible with the PocketWizard ControlTL radios. Using the FlexTT5 and MiniTT1 as a standard radio trigger on a Profoto D1, we found the sync speed to top out at 1/320th due to a lack of FAST mode.

I've just experimented with the PW plus IIIs High Speed Sync on my SF58 + my M240 @ 1/2000 shutter speed, it worked! So same set up should work on my SL. It will be a great fill-in-light tool when using the Noctilux on SL taking portraits. Can just set the camera on 'A' and move the off-camera-light source back & forward to adjust the fill in light intensity.

Edited by sillbeers15

• 1 month later...

The 40 and 64 flashes were supposed to be available by the end of 2015 but I don't think anyone has seen any that have escaped from Leica Wetzlar, Metz Solms or Nissin, Tokyo as yet. 

Since early 2016 I have seen several SF40 and SF64 available in dealer shops and on online shops like there :

https://www.meister-camera.com/en/product/5167/sf-64-flash

• 1 month later...

HSS with the SL and pocketwizards is possible. Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbrCsruSlBs I have got this to work with the SL and profoto B1's and D1's

you run pocketwizards and sl and profoto with sync speed of 1/500 and more or what do you mean by you got this to working? theoretically that is not possible. I don't know if the flash port even get a trigger impulse at faster then 1/250s

Good news:  the new SF 64 flash offers HHS as a standard feature. See page 63 of the flash manual that comes in the box with the flash unit. 

Well, we know that. The real question was is if it's possible to have HSS feature with SL - when flash is used off camera, either wireless or using some cords.

I still haven't found out how that could be done and that is one single thing I miss from my Nikon setup

• Like 1

Well, we know that. The real question was is if it's possible to have HSS feature with SL - when flash is used off camera, either wireless or using some cords.

I still haven't found out how that could be done and that is one single thing I miss from my Nikon setup

I don't think so, I believe HSS with off camera flash is not possible at all with SL.

• Like 1

I don't think so, I believe HSS with off camera flash is not possible at all with SL.

I am afraid you are right :(  and that bothers me big time.  Professional camera ( as it's marketed by Leica ) should definitely support it.

Metz for Pana also claims to have hss (on camera). I see it's the same model as the Leica one, while Nikon/Canon of course are different versions.

Does it work HSS on the Leica SL?

HSS is depending on Software communications, it will certainly be possible, the question is, if there is a developer which considers to have a marked worth to develop such a feature/product.

The answer is certainly "No". 

• 4 weeks later...