Who likes the provided strap what alternatives are there ?

rfunnell

• 2 weeks later...

Honcho, 

The problem is you are not showing a camera of the weight, lug type and balance of an SL.

OK, I see the problem with the SL lugs.  The camera and lens I used to illustrate the Spyder Pro above is a Nikon D4 with a Nikon 24-70 f2.8, which is quite a hefty combination.  I've never experienced any of the twisting which seems to be due to the SL lug design and position not being very compatible with the Spyder Pro attachment type.   My holster plate is a permanent fixture.

Edited by honcho

Used the Tie Her Up Rock n Roll red strap in the States for a month - worked really well, and very comfortable.

When walking about, i had the strap diagonally across my shoulder, with the camera facing down (EVF hump against my body) at my back - actually, the lens rested on my butt).  Safe and comfortable, and easy to get to.  I used to carry my Nikons in this way, with the lens facing down across the back of my hip - the camera is secure, comfortable and discreet.

When taking pictures, I found the strap wrapped around my wrist was very comfortable and secure.

The Rock n Roll is soft and wide, though it is getting a little grubby.  I have one of Harry Benz's brogue straps (black with red buttons) I will switch to when the Rock n Roll gets too unsightly!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, new member and owner of the SL. Quick question, will this fit the SL? I like the leather and appearance, but not sure about the rings fitting and in case they do, eventually damaging the camera.

http://leicastoremiami.com/collections/straps/products/arte-di-mano-120cm-extra-long-comodo-neck-strap-rally-volpe

I already ordered the AdM Half Case in Rally Volpe so wanted something to match the color. 

All tips/suggestions appreciated.

Edited by fdalzaga

Hello all, new member and owner of the SL. Quick question, will this fit the SL? I like the leather and appearance, but not sure about the rings fitting and in case they do, eventually damaging the camera.

http://leicastoremiami.com/collections/straps/products/arte-di-mano-120cm-extra-long-comodo-neck-strap-rally-volpe

I already ordered the AdM Half Case in Rally Volpe so wanted something to match the color. 

Unfortunately, those attachment rings will never fit the SL well, even with adapters. You can probably get a close color match with the Harry Benz Brogue strap for the SL, and it fits the SL perfectly. Send Harry a note and he can tell you what is or isn't possible. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I even ordered specific AdM strap to fit the SL lug, it didn't work well. I can give you the pic..I'll post after this

I even ordered specific AdM strap to fit the SL lug, it didn't work well. I can give you the pic..I'll post after this

check out Luigis Straps in natural aged brown // I just ordered a Strap and a wrist strap and they are beautifully crafted, fast delivered and the color seems to fit perfectly from what I can tell from your picture.

Edited by deep_blue

The more I use the SL and 24-90SL the more I'm convinced it is designed for a hand strap, not a neck strap. It is too heavy a combination to hang round my neck, and I never carry the combo out looking for shots: it is always in use for photos shoots. With a hand strap, you can easily put it down briefly balancing on the left end and the lens hood. Neat design

The more I use the SL and 24-90SL the more I'm convinced it is designed for a hand strap, not a neck strap. It is too heavy a combination to hang round my neck, and I never carry the combo out looking for shots: it is always in use for photos shoots. With a hand strap, you can easily put it down briefly balancing on the left end and the lens hood. Neat design

I'd not want to wear an SL around my neck like I do with the M-D, it's too big and heavy. However, for some kinds of use, slinging it bandolier style or over a shoulder would work well. 

That said, Harry Benz and I worked out the right attachment piece for the La Cravate Brogue wrist strap some time ago now. It's not been off the camera since the final design and works beautifully. I use a light shoulder bag to carry the camera when I want to walk farther and have it out of my hand. :-)

Is it impolite to say how much I dislike the look of those Tie Her Up straps?

Ok.  

I shan't.

No. for some reason my Tie Her Up strap reminds me of a belt I had as a child. I hated it.

I bought a brogue strap, and fitted it, but changed back to the Tie Her Up - it's wider, softer and slightly stretchy, which gives it spring. I will change to the brogue eventually, but the Tie Her Up Rock n Roll works really well in practice, and it does look good in plain red with the black camera.

It is inevitable it will get dirty and throwing it away will give me tremendous satisfaction!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at the Brogue and La Cravate Brogue, here's my concern:

From the website - "....the stainless steel Chicago screw makes for a pretty safe connection..."  From a marketing perspective, Harry may want to consider removing the word 'pretty'.

I understand there are no guarantees with anything strap, some certainly add more risk than others.. e.g those with plastic clips to change lug connector type.  However, "pretty safe" does not give me the warm and fuzzy the $12k around my hand or neck won't hit the ground.   I feel the design where the tail ends of the strap are woven back into the strap, like Luigi Genius, provides a safer uniform connection.  

I have gotten the fully lined Genius strap from Luigi.   I didn't care for the connectors on the silky, but straps are a very personal thing, both on comfort and aesthetics.   This strap is wide and comfortable.  I had him make it a bit longer than standard.attachicon.gifIMG_0838.jpg

I have this same strap, which I purchased originally for the S006, and found that it works perfectly on the SL, as well, so now I have two of them.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've been looking at the Brogue and La Cravate Brogue, here's my concern:

From the website - "....the stainless steel Chicago screw makes for a pretty safe connection..." From a marketing perspective, Harry may want to consider removing the word 'pretty'.

I understand there are no guarantees with anything strap, some certainly add more risk than others.. e.g those with plastic clips to change lug connector type. However, "pretty safe" does not give me the warm and fuzzy the $12k around my hand or neck won't hit the ground. I feel the design where the tail ends of the strap are woven back into the strap, like Luigi Genius, provides a safer uniform connection.

Well, I could simply say that English is my second language but that would be too easy of a response.

Instead, after some thought, I'd like to say the following.

After working for many years in advertising myself, I've got to say that from a marketing perspective you are correct: 'Pretty' is not a good word.

So, because I like to keep things simple and truthful, I will replace it with 'quite.'

Let's face it, chicago screws are a safe form of connection. But like any other nuts and bolts affair, they can and probably will loosen with time. And that is why I am strongly recommending (pretty much in the same sentence) to use some blue Loctite as well. Together, this will make it a VERY SAFE connection.

Got to say, though, ignoring that part of the quote makes your concern feel a tad manufactured.

PS: I guess you haven't seen yet what time and wear will do to those tail-ends-woven-back-into-the-strap straps for the SL. Frankly, it doesn't look all that smart anymore.