Lightroom 6 download directly from the Adobe website

ctle

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The black/white sliders are global control only.  This feature adds black/white sliders to local controls like the adjustment brush and the graduated filter, much like an earlier upgrade added local color and tint control.

Jeff

The black/white sliders are global control only.  This feature adds black/white sliders to local controls like the adjustment brush and the graduated filter, much like an earlier upgrade added local color and tint control.

Jeff

Interesting ... Never noticed that before.

But having seen it, I wonder as to what value it brings. I seem to be able to get exactly the results I want without the Black and White sliders. I used a lot of small local area adjustments on my most recent posted photo ... https://flic.kr/p/H1hPUE ... I had no problems getting everything where I wanted it without a black/white control on the local adjustment slider. 

To each his/her own.  After 4 darkrooms over a few decades, I know the value of being able to use local adjustments to add often subtle, but critical, adjustments to make an otherwise very good print become a wonderful one....one that just 'sings'.  

And now with the 'lightroom' (in the broad sense) rather than the darkroom increasingly providing tools to save time and effort....infinitely more flexibly and conveniently, taking minutes to do things that either I couldn't do in the darkroom or which took hours or even days.....I'm always appreciative when new local controls are offered, even if used sparingly.

Screen shots don't tell me anything....for me, it's all about the print.  As always, knowing when and where and how much to use those tools is far more critical than having them, darkroom or lightroom.  But I'll take the more options any day.  My prints are already better as LR has added local (and global) controls over the years.  YMMV.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks. I'll look those over. 

There's no need to get snarky, however. I happily adopt new things when I see advantage to them. But I'm quite reluctant to get into a $250/year subscription program when a) I seem to be doing just fine with what I have at present, and B) half of that money will be incredibly underused. I have PS CS5 on my system and haven't even started it up in a year or more. Why pay for the darn thing if you aren't going to use it? LR perpetual license costs me $100 every other year and has been doing what I need... That's a huge savings. 

Snarky?  Didn't mean to be....only stating my opinion, not suggesting you should do anything.  In fact, my point is that we're discussing tools....they're not good or bad.  Some use them, some don't....we each make our choice....and, even then, people use them in different ways.  Thankfully.

BTW, I am still a perpetual user (as noted in post #39).   But I hate not getting all the features that CC users get.  That wasn't the case before LR6.  The good news, though, is that I'm still able to take advantage of the many added controls (and many other improvements) that were introduced since I had LR 2.

CC for photography, i.e., Photoshop and LR, is $9.99/mo in US....just under $120 per year.  Not sure where you get $250.  To me that's a bargain, even though I rarely use my old version of PS anymore.  But I refuse to give into Adobe's hard sell.  Just stubborn.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I haven't any attitude for or against the CC features because I've been pretty satisfied with what I have to work with in LR 6 already, that's all. I don't always need (or want) more.  :) 

Last I looked into it, the $10/month price was a special offer with a limited lifespan that switched back to the normal $20/month rate after a time. Looking now, I see they've changed that a bit. However, what would be most useful to me at that $10/month level would be the combination of LR and InDesign, not LR+PS. 

As I said, I'm happy with what I have now and will just keep going, waiting to see what the future brings. 

I'm also very happy with LR, and don't use all of its capabilities....only what I've become comfortable using for my needs and tastes.  So it's not like I'm craving new tools because of some gross deficiency.  

On the other hand, I was happy with LR 2 and LR 3, not knowing what I didn't know about possible future enhancements.  And among the major enhancements, was the introduction of separate highlight, shadow, black and white controls in LR 4 (in addition to exposure, contrast and clarity), each of which do very different things, and which mimic many darkroom effects.  As Charles Cramer describes regarding LR 4 tonal control...  https://luminous-landscape.com/tonal-adjustments-in-the-age-of-lightroom-4/    These changes opened up another whole level of control.

So, when LR 6 provided for better localized control of all of these sliders (adding blacks and whites), that spoke to fundamental local processing options (critical IMO to fine tune PP.....darkroom or lightroom),  not some frivolous new features (as you earlier referred to de-hazing).   That's why I specifically mentioned this CC change, which won't apply until LR 7 for perpetual users, assuming LR 7 even exists as standalone.  

And who knows what else is possible?  I've been happy with my photo tools (for shooting and printing) for over 40 years.....but even happier now in the digital world using tools I never dreamed about.

Jeff

• Like 1

I see "de-hazing" as a convenience feature because I can do what it does by combinations of other adjustments on the rare occasions when I find it necessary. It just makes things easier. Similarly, I don't quite see where Black and White local adjustment nets me much advantage that I can't already do in other ways, and haven't seen that I needed it. 

But it's okay to disagree. We don't all need the same stuff, nor do we all process our photos the same way. I'm working more and more on getting things very close to perfect with the in-camera JPEG engine, which makes processing the raw files very fast and simple with a minimum of adjustments. I doubt that I have spent more than a minute or two image processing any photo I've posted or printed in years except when I was working out something stretching the limits and boundaries of the sensor or film. 

I'm more interested now is continuing to develop my photographic vision rather than my image processing skills and tool needs ... My prints are just fine as they are, for the clients who buy them and for my own satisfaction, and my cameras/lenses are already better than I'll ever be...  :rolleyes: 

I've never stopped trying to develop my photographic vision.  And the better the tools are to facilitate that vision and result in a fine print, which is my ultimate realization, the better.  (Books are another story.)

Photographing and printing are indeed very different skills, the latter being at least equally difficult IMO (despite digital tools....it's still about the eye).  Far fewer great printers than great photographers around, and even fewer who do both to the highest level (and now unfortunately IMO fewer who even try or pay someone else to try).  

I'm happy just having fun trying to do each to my satisfaction....which is generally a stretch.  The joy for me comes from efforts to improve on all the elements that sometimes result in a fine print of a frame-worthy image (including the matting and framing part).

I've been collecting vintage prints and books over several decades from some of the greatest photographers, so I have a lot around me to keep me honest and to show how far I still need to go.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just had it confirmed that at least in the UK, you get a 90 day trial of "Adobe Plan", whatever that is. 

Sounds to to me like Adobe might getting ready to drop the standalone version and Leica have got wind of it. Shame 

As I said earlier, I bought new SL last month and got the 90 day trial licence......with CC. 

When trying to download I think I managed to install a freebie 30 day trial (available to anyone) - I subsequently got the proper version set-up via Leica and then uninstalled the first ver and also got rid of CC.  Now running LR6.3 ok. 

Today got e mail from Adobe telling me about to run out of 30 day freebies trial.  Pretty sure that is an auto mail triggered by nearly 30 days elapsing since I set up the freebie. 

So quesions pls - how do I tell in LR (a) whether I have a trial ver and (B) if a trial, how long left?

Thanks

John

Functionally, there's no difference between the trial version and the paid for version. 

It's been a very long time, but I seem to recall that a trial version always asks you if you're ready to buy a license when you start it up. Could be wrong ... 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Last week I bought a used M Monochrom (first version).  I managed to register it today with Leica and got the codes etc for downloading Lightroom 6 and also Silver effex pro.  I currently have Lightroom 4 which I got when I bought my M9 a few years ago.

Now, I was unable to download LR6 which I am not too concerned about assuming I can do most things in LR4.  When I downloaded Silver Effex the download manager prompted LR4 as an application (I think - I am not particularly computer literate, sorry!)

My question is: how do I get to use SFX pro? I dont't seem to be able to open the program, or is it buried in LR4 somewhere?  By the way, is LR6 a worthwhile upgrade?

Susie

Guest satrycon

Hi Guys,

Last week I bought a used M Monochrom (first version).  I managed to register it today with Leica and got the codes etc for downloading Lightroom 6 and also Silver effex pro.  I currently have Lightroom 4 which I got when I bought my M9 a few years ago.

Now, I was unable to download LR6 which I am not too concerned about assuming I can do most things in LR4.  When I downloaded Silver Effex the download manager prompted LR4 as an application (I think - I am not particularly computer literate, sorry!)

My question is: how do I get to use SFX pro? I dont't seem to be able to open the program, or is it buried in LR4 somewhere?  By the way, is LR6 a worthwhile upgrade?

Susie

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

once you have the TAN>serial number

anyways..silver fx pro is also usable standalone

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by satrycon

By the way, is LR6 a worthwhile upgrade?

Well, let's start with improvements from LR 4 to LR 5, which to me are substantive....  http://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-5-0-beta/

Then add these changes on top of that...  http://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-cc-6-0/

No-brainer for me, given the relatively low upgrade cost....I think about $79 per iteration.  Don't be fooled by Adobe....they try to hide the upgrade version from the new LR 6 or CC purchase.  You can, however, get CC (LR and Photoshop together) for $10/month.  The benefit of CC is that you get upgrades along the way as new features emerge.  Adobe no longer does that for standalone versions starting with LR6....standalone (perpetual license) users get new camera/lens updates and such, but have to wait for LR7 (if that ever exists as standalone) for major new tools that CC users get along the way.  For example, CC users now get localized black/white adjustments, de-haze filter, etc, while LR 6 perpetual license users do not.

You may not need the features provided, but for me, every new iteration has proved very useful.....to the point I rarely need Photoshop anymore.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Hi Guys, 

I have just spent 40 minutes chatting online to Adobe.  It wan't until then that it transpired that as my laptop uses Windows Vista I cannot use LR6!! 

Now, just to stir things up, if I upgrade my computer should I get a Mac? If so, what one bearing in mind it would be just for photo work.   I used to have a G3 using OS9 some time ago....

Susie

You might as well ask about film vs digital, or Canon vs Nikon.   :o

Depending who reads and responds, you will find supporters on all sides.

I like Mac, using an older desktop, but I prefer using a separate monitor....Eizo or NEC....for photo editing and printing.   Apple has gotten sloppier, however, with its desktop applications, instead focusing on mobile.  So the benefits over Windows are reduced, but I don't miss security issues that I had with my older Windows machines either.  

These days there are folks who run Mac on Windows machines, and vice versa.  Not sure I'd go that route....

Jeff