Lightroom 6 download directly from the Adobe website

ctle

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Three web-chats and an hour and a half gone over four days I finally got the info needed to sort this issue. In the end I had to install a trial copy, then login into Adobe using a new account that had no link to CC then find a serial number from my other account and finally update the LR 6.0 with a patch to 6.1.1. Really should have taken 10 minutes tops. That's call centres for you

Thanks but 6.1.1 is as far as Mac OSX 10.8.5 will allow. Would have to update to El Capitan to go further and as that's got more bugs than a termite hill ( 5 betas and counting on the latest update) I'll pass right now, would have been easier to update the Mac but I knew I good get LR perpetual to work and was prepared to stick it out.

Hm. I've been running OS X 10.11 since it was release last Fall (actually, for some months before that) and not had any problems at all. Certainly not with any of my image processing software. You're still on Mountain Lion, which was superseded in 2013. That's way too far back for me.  :rolleyes:

But whatever you're comfortable with.

I always keep my systems up to date with the latest OS and app revisions. I dump anything that stops working ... that means they're not keeping up. Different approach, that's all. 

• Like 1

Thanks but 6.1.1 is as far as Mac OSX 10.8.5 will allow. Would have to update to El Capitan to go further and as that's got more bugs than a termite hill ( 5 betas and counting on the latest update) I'll pass right now, would have been easier to update the Mac but I knew I good get LR perpetual to work and was prepared to stick it out.

Nope, you can move to Mavericks...I'm on 10.9.5, running LR 6.4 (perpetual) with no problem.  

One disadvantage of running the standalone LR version is that one doesn't receive any interim LR updates (except new camera support) until LR 7, assuming that comes....hence no local black or de-haze adjustments as for current CC users.

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Well....new Leica and new to LR so I have just joined the queue of folk wasting part of their day trying to get the Leica download to work......

Opened account with Adobe, entered TAN code, obtained long activation code, and then.....

- think I downloaded or CC installer, got rid of that

- followed advice on here then got LR6 to install

- then realised needed 6.3 for the SL so have that downloading now

It is not clear how long my Leica trial lasts, anyone know pls?  The LR 6 I have open now says 30 days of LR Mobile remaining, surely the Leica code gets me longer than that?

Thanks

John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adobe has made it quite tricky to find the perpetual license version. 

First you go to the Leica Owners Area on the Leica website, register your camera, and use the TAN code from the box materials to get the Lightroom installation code. 

Then you can use this web page from Adobe ... https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

... to download and install a copy of perpetual license Lightroom 6. With that, and the installation code, you will be set. 

Adobe has made it quite tricky to find the perpetual license version. 

First you go to the Leica Owners Area on the Leica website, register your camera, and use the TAN code from the box materials to get the Lightroom installation code. 

Then you can use this web page from Adobe ... https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

... to download and install a copy of perpetual license Lightroom 6. With that, and the installation code, you will be set. 

Thanks - but I think that post 1 April, purchases of Leica cameras come only with a trial version.  I followed your link (from helpful previous post) and successfully downloaded LR6.  Just tried to download 6.3 and (!!!) now I seem to have lost the LR prog on my computer!

I don't know anything about Leica discontinuing delivery of LR, sorry about that. 

Perpetual license LR is always in Trial mode until you input the purchase code. 

I have never installed CC on my systems so I'm not sure about the uninstall process, but I think there's an uninstaller in the package. I would remove all of it, CC and the perpetual license version (leave your catalog folder, it's not part of the installation). Like with most Adobe products, they scatter bits of it in various places so if there's no uninstaller, I'd go to Adobe support and get the procedure. Then install just the perpetual license version. 

I dislike how complicated Adobe has made this stuff. LR's foundation notions were on being a highly tuned, simple environment in which to manage and do basic processing of photographs, which is really all I want and need (don't need "de haze" or other such nonsense), and I don't really need PS either anymore. If this trend continues, I'll likely export all the work I've put time into (that I haven't already ...) and move on to the next simple photographic management and processing tools. 

• Like 1

Thanks ramarren and Jeff - got LR6.3 working ok and LOVING it!!  Dont need or want any of the CC stuff so will look to get rid.

By the way - from 1 April in the UK, not only did we lose perpetual LR, we lost the 'passport'.  Should have bought 30 days earlier lol  :rolleyes:

Thanks ramarren and Jeff - got LR6.3 working ok and LOVING it!!  Dont need or want any of the CC stuff so will look to get rid.

By the way - from 1 April in the UK, not only did we lose perpetual LR, we lost the 'passport'.  Should have bought 30 days earlier lol  :rolleyes:

You should update to v6.5.1. I've noticed a couple of minor improvements in performance and I know they did some specific bug fixes. 

B&H Photo still seems to say that a license for LR is delivered with the SL and M series cameras. Leica's site still has what's needed to download an LR purchase code too. Interesting. 

Just had it confirmed that at least in the UK, you get a 90 day trial of "Adobe Plan", whatever that is. 

Sounds to to me like Adobe might getting ready to drop the standalone version and Leica have got wind of it. Shame 

• Like 1

Not too surprising, sadly. 

On the other hand, LR 6.5.1 does everything I need and it's a perpetual license. I have no plan to buy any new cameras any time soon so I should be good. I'll just keep on keeping on until I need to do something different. And then I'll do that. 

Life is simple when you keep it simple.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I still would like to have the ability to adjust local blacks, which is in CC, but not available to LR 6 perpetual users (like me).  

I don't like Adobe's heavy handed tactics either, but I do think that the cost of CC (photographer's version...LR and PS) is reasonable, so at some point I'll probably go there.....or more likely, Adobe will force me if standalone versions end and newer versions entice.  Up until LR 5, I found that newer iterations offered great benefits.....LR 6 not as much.

Jeff

I still would like to have the ability to adjust local blacks, which is in CC, but not available to LR 6 perpetual users (like me).  

I'm not sure I understand what that means. Can you describe it? 

I do area adjustments of blacks and whites all the time in LR ... What's special about the LRCC way of doing it?