Lightroom 6 download directly from the Adobe website

ctle

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about how to download Lightroom 6 from Adobe website.

I've completed the below steps:

1. Sign In 

2. Enter your code to redeem your purchase

3. You're all set. You have successfully redeemed Lightroom 6. A serial number is not required at this time. To get started, simply download/install the product, sign-in with your Adobe ID, and it will be ready to use. You may download it now. Or, return to this webpage later and reenter your code to see the download link again.

When I pressed the Download button, it downloaded Adobe Creative Cloud application not "Lightroom 6" ???

How am I going to download Lightroom 6 and a serial number?

Thanks in advance.

I have had this same difficulty... while using LR 6.0 I downloaded 6.1.1 some time ago, which gave an error upon installation, that the "update is not applicable." Today I tried with version 6.3 with the same error upon installation. Looking on the 6.0 Help menu for Upgrades, it reports there is none available. Good to hear this can be resolved by customer service, but it seems so inefficient to do this one-on-one for each customer...

Doug

I found it a bit smoother to go to the Leica.com website, then into the members area, (which you should sign up as a user), and then to the software section. I entered my TAN number to get a registered free download of Lightroom.  An email from Leica will contain the registration code that has to be converted to a licence code on the interactive web page. (This is a crucial part of the process but the conversion isn't too clear on that page. It's a drop-down box.).   The recent updates of 6 do not require you to completely download and install a new version.  That update from version 6 to 6.3  is done from a link inside the running program.  You shouldn't be downloading yet another fresh piece of software at this point.

Although I downloaded in November, I only did the above process and installed yesterday.  Once installed, I updated the version to the latest.  

There have been two version changes due to bugs and changes by Adobe in respect of the Import images feature that was drastically changed to the annoyance of users.  The latest version works but is slower and causes crashes.   Keep your previous version installed  if you have it, so that you can go back if necessary.

Personally, im not convinced that the upgrade from 4 to 6 is worthwhile.

Edited by lucerne

I just performed the upgrade two days ago and had a similar experience as the OP. But, I let the process go through and it worked out. The tricky thing is that you download the Adobe CC installer which opens the program and says it is downloading Lightroom CC 2015, but when it downloads and installs the program comes up as Lightroon 6. I have not had any issues yet, but am thinking of uninstalling the Adobe CC program and see if that affects the LR6 license.

So far LR 6 is a lot like the LR4 I just upgraded from, but several members here said that there are different processing algorithms that should be better. It doesn't seem any faster or slower, but I like that the interface hasn't changed a lot and my plugins swapped right over. So far so good...

Edited by goatsby
  • Like 1

I just performed the upgrade two days ago and had a similar experience as the OP. But, I let the process go through and it worked out. The tricky thing is that you download the Adobe CC installer which opens the program and says it is downloading Lightroom CC 2015, but when it downloads and installs the program comes up as Lightroon 6. I have not had any issues yet, but am thinking of uninstalling the Adobe CC program and see if that affects the LR6 license.

So far LR 6 is a lot like the LR4 I just upgraded from, but several members here said that there are different processing algorithms that should be better. It doesn't seem any faster or slower, but I like that the interface hasn't changed a lot and my plugins swapped right over. So far so good...

Downloading via the Leica website avoids the nuisance of the referencing to CC.  Adobe are trying every trick to get you to sign up for CC.  Even standalone LR6 tries to steer you towards their cloud.  

I agree that LR6 isn't a great improvement over 4 which is a lot quicker.  After an hours processing in LR6, I find that the application slows down and images in folders on my SSD equiped MacBook Pro no longer appear and I have to shut down and reboot. 

• Like 1

I got it resolved after having a chat with Adobe customer service.

Talking too soon! I faced another problem with the serial number when installing the software. Adobe customer service told me this serial number has been expired! I'm not sure why it happens???

I will need to contact Leica software to resolve this problem!

Talking too soon! I faced another problem with the serial number when installing the software. Adobe customer service told me this serial number has been expired! I'm not sure why it happens???

I will need to contact Leica software to resolve this problem!

Try goatsby's procedure first, Leica is closed today. Somehow I got the CC app also on my Mac, I deleted it and it did not affect my license for LR6 stand alone

Edited by otto.f

Try goatsby's procedure first, Leica is closed today. Somehow I got the CC app also on my Mac, I deleted it and it did not affect my license for LR6 stand alone

Nonsense!  It's a 24/7/365 Automatic online facility.  I've just used it.  Really, it's the correct way to get the software and license free on the terms that Leica agreed with Adobe.  Why deliberately avoid that valuable gift?

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I found it a bit smoother to go to the Leica.com website, then into the members area, (which you should sign up as a user), and then to the software section. I entered my TAN number to get a registered free download of Lightroom.  An email from Leica will contain the registration code that has to be converted to a licence code on the interactive web page. (This is a crucial part of the process but the conversion isn't too clear on that page. It's a drop-down box.).   The recent updates of 6 do not require you to completely download and install a new version.  That update from version 6 to 6.3  is done from a link inside the running program.  You shouldn't be downloading yet another fresh piece of software at this point.

Although I downloaded in November, I only did the above process and installed yesterday.  Once installed, I updated the version to the latest.  

There have been two version changes due to bugs and changes by Adobe in respect of the Import images feature that was drastically changed to the annoyance of users.  The latest version works but is slower and causes crashes.   Keep your previous version installed  if you have it, so that you can go back if necessary.

Personally, im not convinced that the upgrade from 4 to 6 is worthwhile.

What I did: 

1. Go to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html and download Lightroom 6.3 for your system. 
  2. Go to the Leica website and do whatever you have to do (I don't remember) to get the TAN number transformed into the Adobe authorization code (looks like this: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX). Don't download anything associated with CC. 
  3. Install LR6.3.
  4. Run LR6.3 and use the authorization code. 

(You need LR6.3 if you are using a Leica SL as it is the first version that includes the camera calibration profile for the SL DNG files.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some help here would be much appreciated. I've recently purchased a Q, my first Leica. I already have LR4 but would like to upgrade to 6 as it supports the Q. 

I'm running Mac OSX10.8.5 The Adobe site claims LR6 is compatible with 10.8 but not the CC version which requires 10.9 or later.

My understanding was that all Leicas come with a free desktop version of LR and not CC. I registered the camera and with the TAN# received my code but I'm forced to create and install CC. LR 6 is now in my applications folder but won't open. In the CC dropdown there is a message that CC is not compatible with my OS and I must update my Mac which I don't want to do as I've heard of issues with ElCapitan. 

Is is there any way I can access LR6 without CC?

Some help here would be much appreciated. I've recently purchased a Q, my first Leica. I already have LR4 but would like to upgrade to 6 as it supports the Q. 

I'm running Mac OSX10.8.5 The Adobe site claims LR6 is compatible with 10.8 but not the CC version which requires 10.9 or later.

My understanding was that all Leicas come with a free desktop version of LR and not CC. I registered the camera and with the TAN# received my code but I'm forced to create and install CC. LR 6 is now in my applications folder but won't open. In the CC dropdown there is a message that CC is not compatible with my OS and I must update my Mac which I don't want to do as I've heard of issues with ElCapitan. 

Is is there any way I can access LR6 without CC?

The standalone (perpetual license) version is available on the Adobe site, but intentionally hard to access as Adobe wants users to migrate to CC.  If you can't find it, you can always deal directly with Adobe customer service and have them send you a link.  [Did you try the process described in the post immediately above  yours?]

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for the rapid response. I did do that and it installed just fine...but is shows on the dropdown as being a 30 day trial only. Upon updating it it changed it to the CC version and now won't run. I've uninstalled it again and will reinstall from the .dmg I still have in the downloads folder.

at no point was I prompted for the code nor can I find where to enter one. 

Ok, so Ive reinstalled it and it showed the 30 day trial again. Then I signed out of Adobe from LR and the 30 day message has gone. I still see nowhere to enter the code I have to register the software.Looking at my Adobe account is just shows I have a free CC account for LR and that I can try any other of their products. 

Any idea where this all leaves please?

Simon