First roll of film in 10 years...

ShivaYash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Afga Vista 400, rated at 400, although since doing some research, perhaps it would have been better rated at 200. Personally I love this look of this film and its perfect for everyday snaps.

Leica M6 with 35mm f/1.4 FLE.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Very nice! Try ISO 320 0r 250 before dropping to 200.  So how is it waiting to see what you have captured opposed to checking the screen and trying another?  

Thanks, I'll try that first. Yes its wonderful to be shooting film again. I'd forgotten how nice it was, not to have the pressure to chimp, just cos you can. I use to shoot a lot of film years ago at university and do my own processing, its a shame I got rid of all my Patterson tanks and reels, looks like I'll be starting up a small darkroom when I get back, just for film processing and invest in a good quality scanner, most likely the Epson V7xxx range. Does that allow the scanning of an entire roll with relative ease? Can you for example load the flatbed with the negatives in the trays and then set the scanner to scan ALL frames, leaving it to run OR does it require manually positioning each frame?

Ta.

Afga Vista 400, rated at 400, although since doing some research, perhaps it would have been better rated at 200. Personally I love this look of this film and its perfect for everyday snaps.

Leica M6 with 35mm f/1.4 FLE.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1450840923.384852.jpg

Very nicely done. I like the colors, I like the framing, good moment caught too.

Wonderful to see, once more with film.

The different pace.

Digital is not always faster.

A pal does film only, I use digital often.

He normally posts images on Internet, sooner than me!

I can shoot at noon, done developing by 1pm, film dried by 1:50pm, and scanned into the computer by 2pm. Its not as long a process as folks think it is.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Nice and lovely picture Shiva

What I notice is the soft lines of the face of the lady,
the sweetness of color , bright , vivid and lively color,
in short a picture that has an artistic sense, which is not flat,
which has a soul ,  reflecting a warm atmosphere
Needless to say  why I tell you all this

Soeone who has made digital (exclusively Leica) for 5 years

and now returns to film

Rg

H.

Edited by Doc Henry

How do you scan the negatives so quickly?

I have a Pakon f135+ scanner. It came out of the mom-pop-one hour developing shops from years ago. It will do a roll in about 5 minutes. Feed the negative strip in one side...in 5 minutes its out of the other side and the scans are ready.

Very nice.

It makes the whole experience of shooting film much more enjoyable.

12331398183_e382689b92.jpg

• Like 2

I have a Pakon f135+ scanner. It came out of the mom-pop-one hour developing shops from years ago. It will do a roll in about 5 minutes. Feed the negative strip in one side...in 5 minutes its out of the other side and the scans are ready.

Very nice.

It makes the whole experience of shooting film much more enjoyable.

12331398183_e382689b92.jpg

Interesting, thanks for sharing - what kind of resolution and file size do you get with this scanner?

Interesting, thanks for sharing - what kind of resolution and file size do you get with this scanner?

I guess that's a drawback or not depending on the way you look at it. It does files of 16bit 3000 x 2000 pixels at 6mb files.

I have printed HUGE using Alien Skin blow up 3 to upside the files and the quality looks great. I've printed 8 x 10 files out of it without upsizing and they looked fine.

Some folks are put off by that but for me, the speed and sheer enjoyment of feeding in the negs and coming back 5 minutes later to 36 scans on the laptop is worth it.

They originally sold for $24,000 in 2004 and now you can get them for about 600.00 to 800.00

here is a review on steve huff's site.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/01/kodak-pakon-f-135-plus-film-scanner-review-by-logan-norton/

Edited by rpavich
  • Like 2

I guess that's a drawback or not depending on the way you look at it. It does files of 16bit 3000 x 2000 pixels at 6mb files.

I have printed HUGE using Alien Skin blow up 3 to upside the files and the quality looks great. I've printed 8 x 10 files out of it without upsizing and they looked fine.

Some folks are put off by that but for me, the speed and sheer enjoyment of feeding in the negs and coming back 5 minutes later to 36 scans on the laptop is worth it.

They originally sold for $24,000 in 2004 and now you can get them for about 600.00 to 800.00

here is a review on steve huff's site.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/08/01/kodak-pakon-f-135-plus-film-scanner-review-by-logan-norton/

I agree that this is a suitable method. I just checked the price of the device online and found them for > $800 which is too much for me to vest in. I stick for now with my method to photograph the negatives - works well for just 36-38 frames but for more than this such scanner would be much more convenient.

I agree that this is a suitable method. I just checked the price of the device online and found them for > $800 which is too much for me to vest in. I stick for now with my method to photograph the negatives - works well for just 36-38 frames but for more than this such scanner would be much more convenient.

Yeah...it's not for everyone.

Here is a video of it in use.

The meat of it starts at about the 3 minute mark.

• Like 2

Does that allow the scanning of an entire roll with relative ease? Can you for example load the flatbed with the negatives in the trays and then set the scanner to scan ALL frames, leaving it to run OR does it require manually positioning each frame?

Ta.

No one picking this up?

The 700 series 35mm holder has 4 strips of six, I run an 8 series which has three as the build is more robust, so you set a pre-scan which gives thumbs takes 30 secs ish, then you can deselect obvious failures and rotate if necessary, then set to scan and off it goes on its own, rinse and repeat, if you are clever you have the next holder ready loaded, at 2400 scan I think mine takes 30 mins for a film, I haven't measured that's a guess I'm not that bothered don't have a press deadline to meet.

Not as quick as a Pakon but faster than my Plustek 8200 which is manual feed and requires constant attention whilst scanning. On balance I can squeeze more out with the Plustek but if I want a big file I can send out to someone whose scanner costs more than my car and as much to maintain.

• Like 1

For $600 and pathetic 6mb scans speed is the only thing the Pakon has going for it. What is it with speed? Is it digital photography that has given everybody such a short attention span that they need to turn film photography into a race as well? Photographers have already waited to get back home to process the film before seeing results, so what is gaining an extra minute or two going to achieve especially if you have to spend $600 on a pile of out of date junk? The Pakon phenomenon started through novelty of being able to buy a 'professional' piece of kit at knock down prices when corner shops/drug stores stopped processing film. 'Corner shop' or 'drug store' should have been the watchword because I'm not certain what this has to do with top quality photography? So upon discovering this downside the followers of the Pakon phenomenon took an about turn and adopted the chant of 'it's good enough'. At $600 it certainly should be good enough, and so it is for digital contact sheets and 'saving' two or three minutes, nothing more.

The Epson V700/800 makes contact sheet thumbnails far faster than setting up the darkroom and printing them, so that should be fast enough particularly as the Epson can do many other creative things. And a Plustek 35mm scanner can produce much larger, higher quality, and useful scans far faster than setting up the darkroom, so that should be fast enough. You'll also never need to re-scan your negs ever again because they are as good as you can make them already, and that's saves lots of time. The only downside is you have to fill the aching boredom of two or three minutes scanning time, perhaps you could re-charge the battery of your digital camera, but that takes hours. Oh well.

Steve

• Like 3

For $600 and pathetic 6mb scans speed is the only thing the Pakon has going for it. What is it with speed? Is it digital photography that has given everybody such a short attention span that they need to turn film photography into a race as well? Photographers have already waited to get back home to process the film before seeing results, so what is gaining an extra minute or two going to achieve especially if you have to spend $600 on a pile of out of date junk? The Pakon phenomenon started through novelty of being able to buy a 'professional' piece of kit at knock down prices when corner shops/drug stores stopped processing film. 'Corner shop' or 'drug store' should have been the watchword because I'm not certain what this has to do with top quality photography? So upon discovering this downside the followers of the Pakon phenomenon took an about turn and adopted the chant of 'it's good enough'. At $600 it certainly should be good enough, and so it is for digital contact sheets and 'saving' two or three minutes, nothing more.

The Epson V700/800 makes contact sheet thumbnails far faster than setting up the darkroom and printing them, so that should be fast enough particularly as the Epson can do many other creative things. And a Plustek 35mm scanner can produce much larger, higher quality, and useful scans far faster than setting up the darkroom, so that should be fast enough. You'll also never need to re-scan your negs ever again because they are as good as you can make them already, and that's saves lots of time. The only downside is you have to fill the aching boredom of two or three minutes scanning time, perhaps you could re-charge the battery of your digital camera, but that takes hours. Oh well.

Steve

That was the most ignorant post I've seen all day. 

• Like 1