Capture One Pro with the S

laybie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a newbie here. I am currently awaiting delivery of a new 007, my first venture into medium format. I have been a Capture One user since Aperture 3 was abandoned by Apple and have been very happy using it. I notice however that despite profile support for virtually every other current Leica model, there is no support for the S. Looking back on the C1 blog posts there have been numerous requests for the S models to be recognized by the C1 team but it seems pretty obvious these are being ignored. Are there any current S owners using Capture One and how have they dealt with this?

Comments and help would be much appreciated.

I use C1 for selected images, but LR for all import and basic processing. As medium format the S is considered competing to Phase One, so it is not likely to get support, unfortunately. All other Leicas are supported, and I guess SL is a question of time.

However, DNG Neutral works as a good starting point even for the S007 and I have no problems processing from there. I have asked at LuLa Forum whether anyone has created a C1 profile for S007, but have no responses so far.

Volunteers?

HI,

After Apple announced it was dropping Aperture I signed up to the Adobe Cloud and have been trying to learn Lightroom and Photoshop.

I have been using Capture One for several years (Phase One back and Leica M8 and M9) along with Aperture so was disappointed when it looked like the S was not supported. However I've found that the S (006) .dng files work well with C1 however they tend to oversaturate compared to Lightroom. There is no issued loading or saving the files and it's easy to tone down the color if that is the look you are seeking.

Edited by Sailronin
  • Like 1

When I shot with a Hasselblad I used Phocus and the processed files were better than Adobe because of the full/comprehensive support provided by Phocus.

I've shot Canon and Sony since my Blad died and found Capture One to be better than Adobe. Both are equally supported but used Capture One because of its slightly (perceived by my at least) better processing and workflow.

Now that I'm using a 007 I'm back to Adobe. I've begged Leica for a dedicated converter but I don't think this is going to happen. They seem to have a very strong affiliation with Adobe by providing lightroom and even discounts on first year subscription to CC.

I use Adobe instead of Capture one simply because I find proper support from a slightly lower quality raw converter still produces superior results than a better converter with no support.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Edited by Justalex

Everyone should do themselves a favour and buy an X-Rite colour passport. I produced custom colour profiles for my 007 in minutes and no longer have to worry about whether my colours are converting correctly.

The $90 I spent was peanuts in comparison to the cost of my S System. I cant believe I didnt do it sooner...

http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1257

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No offence Laybie and I have no commercial connection with XRite whatsoever. Though I'd be happy to be given free stuff and get paid a 6 figure sum to endorse their product if they offered it! LOL

I was simply shocked at how I could create a custom colour profile for my camera in minutes and I've been shooting for 15 years. I wish someone else had suggested it sooner. I've not shot a professional job since creating the profile so I'm yet to work out how good it is, but for $80 even if it doesn't work well it's not a great loss.

I just bought one at B&H over Black Friday weekend for $49. It took minutes to calibrate my S and now the colors are right on. Highly recommend it. And no, no commercial connection with XRite.

Hi David. I've not tested the camera on difficult colours like reds using the new profile. Have you done much shooting with the profile and does it handle difficult colours like red better?

Guest chipcarterdc

Doesn't the lack of a supported profile in C1 affect more than just the color? That is, even with a custom-built color profile, won't we still be lacking a proper C1 profile in terms of lens corrections, noise reduction, etc?

Yes the lack of a supported profile in C1 definitely means no lens profiles, not sure what it does to noise reduction. Even with the M240 which is supported by C1, I can only see a lens profile for Summicron 50. My solution has been to use LR as my converter for all Leica files and profile all my cameras with the color checker passport. I've been tempted many times to get my teeth into C1 as colors even from my S cameras (S2/007) are pretty good despite the lack of a dedicated profile. The lack of official support has turned me off, though - C1 does take time to master and I don't want to make the investment of time unless I know that the workflow will "work" also in the next version and the one after it.

Lack of profiles definitely affects more than colour, mine was just a slightly off topic question regarding quality of colour profiles.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd rather have a slightly worse converter with full support than a slightly better converter with no support. In this respect the result from Adobe are far superior especially where lens profiles/distortion is concerned.

Hi David. I've not tested the camera on difficult colours like reds using the new profile. Have you done much shooting with the profile and does it handle difficult colours like red better?

Hi, I just got it couple of weeks ago but I've been using it for art reproduction that I was hired to do. My editing time was dramatically reduced. When I selected the camera profile in Lightroom it was as close as I needed to be to the actual artwork. Hope this helps.

David

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Am I getting this right? I've just purchased C1 9.3 because the color editing controls, layers, export controls, processes, focus masks, etc. are just so much easier to work with that LR. 

I agree that the "DNG File Neutral" is pretty good for S007 files.  If I wanted better one I would need to make new user presets for the ICC profile for what C1 calls "Base Characteristics" and custom white balance presets (C1 9.3 for the 007 shows just "as shot" and "custom") for daylight, tungsten, etc.

One could then do this for each ASA and for each lens. I suspect the lenses are pretty darn consistent with regard to color balance but certainly ASA has subtle variations.

I haven't even gotten to noise reduction etc, but that's quite subjective to me, varies with output size, etc.

So, custom base characteristics using a color checker, for each ASA, and for each color measured light source.  That make sense?