Looking for the best smartphone light meter app

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adam, I've tried several of those apps (and for some reason many seem to be called variations of the same like LightMeter, Light Meter, light meter, lightmeter, lightMeter etc). Most are simple and several have been difficult to use with a very small finder window and fiddly controls.

The one I have stuck to using the past several years is called (drrrum roll) iZoner. Eh what? Exactly, iZoner. And it gets better, the developed is called Alfa Kilo Beheer (a Dutch developer).

It has the worst interface you can imagine (well, it's not Vuescan but close) and the icon is terribly ugly.

But - and since we're getting close to the holidays, it's a big but - it has truly tremendously useful functions and it is very accurate. Let's talk about the functions first. There's the ordinary average exposure value view (which can be set to both aperture and shutter speed priority) with EVs given. Oh, there's also a manual mode where one sets both A and S values and the app calculates over/underexposure. In A mode (which is what I use almost exclusively), one can adjust the selected aperture with two big buttons and immediately get new readouts. And there's an ND filter selector, too, from optical density/stops 0 to 3,9/13. It also includes several other filters, like red, green and yellow of various kinds.

One of the most useful features is the variable - yes variable - spot meter, which would also work for longer focal lengths. The size of the sensitive spot can be adjusted with a slider from very small to as large as the finder window. I have used this with very good results in many settings. For instance in dark indoor surroundings one can meter a part of a face and block out shadows in a very effective way. There is also a "hold" function which allows comparing the "held" EV with other parts of the scene. There is also a special "face" detection spot meter function. To be honest I haven't used it.

There is also a live RGB histogram that can be useful but I usually don't bother with it. The Hi Lo function, however, is useful. It features two variable spot meter zones which automatically show the extremes of a scenes brightness and gives the range in stops. It's quite useful to get accurate exposures. This view also gives the EVs for the Hi and Lo zones as well as for the average of the whole view.

Lastly, there's a multi mode that allows selecting up to five metering spots. These can be individually positioned in the view (drag and drop) and resized using a slider. This view gives the average EV for the scene, the EV for each spot and the difference in stops between the average and the spots. 

That's about it. Oh, it also allows setting the 18% gray to 12% gray which apparently many cameras today use (I discovered this setting today but thought I should mention it since there are apparently also Leica photographers who use digital cameras :D ).

All in all, it is a quirky app but it is accurate, in fact very accurate. I have never been let down by it. The coding could probably be better and, yes, a few versions ago it was quite useless on the then current iOS (8 I think), but it runs well on iOS9. And it could certainly be prettier, which I suspect is why many overlook this gem or give it bad reviews. But for 1,99USD it's worth it to try it. I guess I should add that I have no affiliation with the developer since I'm quite positive about this app. 

br

Philip

• Like 4

Adam -- I have tried a bunch. Phillipus view on izoner is, well pretty much spot on but I hated the interface. Perhaps I will give it another try. In the meantime i have settled on two -- LightmeterW terrific for spot distances and can calculate for very long exposures, got it after our East River photo shot. Second, and the one I have used the longest is FotometerPro. Can do spot or reflective (use it mostly for spot), has a nice analog look and, versus my handhelds, readings are quite accurate.  

• Like 2

Adam, I've tried several of those apps (and for some reason many seem to be called variations of the same like LightMeter, Light Meter, light meter, lightmeter, lightMeter etc). Most are simple and several have been difficult to use with a very small finder window and fiddly controls.

The one I have stuck to using the past several years is called (drrrum roll) iZoner. Eh what? Exactly, iZoner. And it gets better, the developed is called Alfa Kilo Beheer (a Dutch developer).

It has the worst interface you can imagine (well, it's not Vuescan but close) and the icon is terribly ugly.

But - and since we're getting close to the holidays, it's a big but - it has truly tremendously useful functions and it is very accurate. Let's talk about the functions first. There's the ordinary average exposure value view (which can be set to both aperture and shutter speed priority) with EVs given. Oh, there's also a manual mode where one sets both A and S values and the app calculates over/underexposure. In A mode (which is what I use almost exclusively), one can adjust the selected aperture with two big buttons and immediately get new readouts. And there's an ND filter selector, too, from optical density/stops 0 to 3,9/13. It also includes several other filters, like red, green and yellow of various kinds.

One of the most useful features is the variable - yes variable - spot meter, which would also work for longer focal lengths. The size of the sensitive spot can be adjusted with a slider from very small to as large as the finder window. I have used this with very good results in many settings. For instance in dark indoor surroundings one can meter a part of a face and block out shadows in a very effective way. There is also a "hold" function which allows comparing the "held" EV with other parts of the scene. There is also a special "face" detection spot meter function. To be honest I haven't used it.

There is also a live RGB histogram that can be useful but I usually don't bother with it. The Hi Lo function, however, is useful. It features two variable spot meter zones which automatically show the extremes of a scenes brightness and gives the range in stops. It's quite useful to get accurate exposures. This view also gives the EVs for the Hi and Lo zones as well as for the average of the whole view.

Lastly, there's a multi mode that allows selecting up to five metering spots. These can be individually positioned in the view (drag and drop) and resized using a slider. This view gives the average EV for the scene, the EV for each spot and the difference in stops between the average and the spots. 

That's about it. Oh, it also allows setting the 18% gray to 12% gray which apparently many cameras today use (I discovered this setting today but thought I should mention it since there are apparently also Leica photographers who use digital cameras :D ).

All in all, it is a quirky app but it is accurate, in fact very accurate. I have never been let down by it. The coding could probably be better and, yes, a few versions ago it was quite useless on the then current iOS (8 I think), but it runs well on iOS9. And it could certainly be prettier, which I suspect is why many overlook this gem or give it bad reviews. But for 1,99USD it's worth it to try it. I guess I should add that I have no affiliation with the developer since I'm quite positive about this app. 

br

Philip

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments on this.

Philip - special thanks to you for the particularly thoughtful and insightful detail.  I immediately bought this app just b/c of the time you took on this.  It looks like I will need to play around with it to get to know it.  I will do so in due course.  My main issue is accuracy.  I have tried a few others mentioned in this thread side by side with my sekonic L-308S (which I love, but would like to do without for simple incident readings on the street) and have no gotten accurate enough results. 

If izoner works for you, my presumption is that it will work for me. 

Thanks again and I welcome comments from anyone else.

Best,

adam

• Like 3

br

Philip

Thanks for the link, Philip.  I wonder if the developer is still active? No updates since summer 2013 and still on iOS6.0.  There again, as you say it is OK with iOS9, maybe he feels there is no need...  Might give it a try as a backup to my little Sekonic L208.

PS - ha, had completely forgotten I had installed one called Pocket Light Meter ages ago.  Will have to refresh my memory on its performance in comparison with the L208!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 2

Hi Keith

To be honest I don't know how active the developer is but after the last update in 2013 the app runs well (i've run it recently on both iOS 8 and 9 on both iPhone 4S and 6 without troubles).

Br

Philip

Thanks for the link, Philip. I wonder if the developer is still active? No updates since summer 2013 and still on iOS6.0. There again, as you say it is OK with iOS9, maybe he feels there is no need... Might give it a try as a backup to my little Sekonic L208.

PS - ha, had completely forgotten I had installed one called Pocket Light Meter ages ago. Will have to refresh my memory on its performance in comparison with the L208!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have just installed the Android "LightMeter" app by David Quiles, the free no-adds version.  It seems to perform OK but I have not calibrated it (yet) against a real meter.  It has the look and feel of a Weston Master-type meter with a zoomable spot meter functionality as well as incident readings.  I look forward to testing it in real use but I am hopeful.  I like the idea of being able to evaluate the light situation of a scene before pulling out the camera.  That way, I can make ISO selections and other choices before putting the camera up to my face.  In the past, I have been reluctant to carry the extra piece of gear (a proper light meter) but since my phone is always with me, this app could be quite useful.  

For me anyway: best interface, ease of use and accuracy: LightMeterW

Yikes! Took a look at iZoner; it hurts my eyes to look at it and the small numbers are painful....Would rather lug along my Gossen instead of using it...

But thanks anyway for sharing, if it works then who am I to complain  B)

Edited by sumolux

Uh...my mistake!

Full name for App store is: Light Meter Wheel.

Here is a screen shot of it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...