Summilux-R 35mm comments?

gpwhite

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at Leica's published information, this portly lens would seem to offer great character. There is an awful lot of glass in there for some reason. I don't know that I have ever seen one, but probably missed it in the Wetzlar museum case. 

I would greatly appreciate any comments, or even sample images, from members who have experience with the 35 SX R. My use would be full or wide aperture, on an SL.

I used to own this lens. It vignettes a bit when completely wide open, and llikewise I think the extreme corners are just a little soft when wide open, but otherwise, as jip says, it's got a really nice classic look. It was I think originally designed as a reportage lens, so these slight compromises (probably inevitable given the state of the art when this lens was introduced) were not too problematical.

• Like 2

I've used 3 copies of this lens on various Sony A7 series bodies. It's one of my all-time favorites.

I wouldn't say sharpness before f/2.0 is its forte. Wide open it has noticeable "glow" and is by far not at sharp as the ZM 35/1.4 or Summilux-M 35/1.4 Asph even at the center. Perhaps because of a floating element, it seems to be sharper wide open at close focus than distant focus, and creates quite arresting portraits. At close focus (0.5m) it has quite noticeable field curvature, with soft far corners even stopped down.

It does have wonderful, wonderful character. On the A7's the colors were very rich and textured--as Adan on this forum wrote, Mandler-era designs have "infinite depths." It's a very beautifying lens in natural light, making a scene more atmospheric and immersive than it felt in person, but in a way that's very attractive and not cloying. In artificial lighting it seemed not as consistent. It has a strong character and is not a transparent lens.

I happen to be selling this lens along with the R80. I posted a lot of photos from the lens on FredMiranda. Check here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1398335/

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used 3 copies of this lens on various Sony A7 series bodies. It's one of my all-time favorites.

I wouldn't say sharpness before f/2.0 is its forte. Wide open it has noticeable "glow" and is by far not at sharp as the ZM 35/1.4 or Summilux-M 35/1.4 Asph even at the center.

Alan,

Been there, done those,  ;) It is interesting to read comments about 35-M SX FLE sharpness....  a lens that renders beautifully, yet is "sharper" on axis than the 35 FLE is the 28 SX (Meisterstueck!).

Perhaps because of a floating element, it seems to be sharper wide open at close focus than distant focus, and creates quite arresting portraits. At close focus (0.5m) it has quite noticeable field curvature, with soft far corners even stopped down.

YES, this is precisely the composition I have in mind for the 35-R SX! Thank you.

I happen to be selling this lens along with the R80. I posted a lot of photos from the lens on FredMiranda. Check here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1398335/

Given how gorgeously R glass performs on the SL body, I wonder if it is too cheap a market right now to sell R lenses?  After all, Leica is not going to make mechanical lenses for the SL. Only those monster things will be developed with robotic everything (sorry, I know I am just out of date  :o ).

Hi GPWhite, I actually had the Summilux-M 35 asph "pre-FLE" and never owned the FLE, so I wouldn't know! I do like the pre-FLE's rendering a lot, but it's different than the R.

I have a few wide portraits by the R35 on A7R here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1294615/14#12565162

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1294615/17#12875024

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1